Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

*!!@$%** altenator light
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: *!!@$%** altenator light Reply with quote

I just installed a new alt w internal reg. B+ to battery,D+ directly to dash light(new wire). With ignition on, no light at dash. With engine running, i get 14-15 volts,but the light comes on in a few seconds. Any ideas? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
freddahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D+ to one side of spade connector on light, other spade on light goes to any wire that provides power when ign. switch is on. the theory is; when key is turned on, power flows from switch to alt. which is in a grounded mode. light should be on. when engine fires up, alt. starts making power, and feeds to D+ TERMINAL. hence, two positives make light go out. When alt. goes bad, there is either no power or very little going to D+ terminal making light glow, or shine bright, indicating trouble. make sure your light is not a LED. If so power can only flow one way through it. It is possible to have a new/bad alt. Hope this helps
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot Fred, Now it makes sense. The wiring was a mess on the bug. i madeup a new harness(donated from a 73 Bus). I only have one wire on the dash light, not sure if it has a double terminal. Ill run a feed from the ign. Thanks again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
freddahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, It's kinda weird the way it works, two sources of power to a light, and they can't flow across the element, means NO LIGHT. The alt is just going from a ground mode to a power mode when running. I had this explained to me just a month ago, when I went from gen. to alt. bypassing the regulator. Glad I could help you! Fred
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: