Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric engine swap?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Charlton,

I think this is going to be the eventual answer. A small diesel generator and electric drive like a train has. Compact. Durable. Unlimited range. Lighter than a hybrid with its full battery bank and full gasoline powertrain and electric motor. The end. The only reason we're not going that way is the misguided incentive system and regulations from various governments around the world that think they know better. Automakers simply salute and do what they're told and gov'ts pour money into the vendors for them to use. Crappy system but what can you do?

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric engine swap? Reply with quote

Fishguy wrote:
Has anyone thought of using a DC electric motor fed from a battery/generator to power their van? It sure would eliminate a lot of common problems that we all post here.

A simple direct question calls for a simple answer: Yes

Brick wall

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
WAgrower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to carry a small honda generator in my ranger when I was traveling near the max range of my battery pack. Had to use it a couple of times- once was when the power went out at work Rolling Eyes
the other time I had some drain and couldn't go more then 5 miles Twisted Evil

the joys of owning an EV are almost as fun as owning a petrol van!

It was a slow charging process and I didn't dare try to drive while charging. However the diesel gen-set in a trailer is an interesting idea...

"We have created a market that socializes losses and privatizes gains"
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
I think the term is called an 'ev pusher'

A trailer with generator to extend the range of an EV.

Like this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Fishguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, locomotive. I had seen a picture of a "truck" I think it was a Hummer that basically had an off the shelf gas generator (a big one) mounted where the engine was under the hood. Direct drive motors at each wheel giving 4WD. Engine & tranny & transfer case & diffs removed lightened the load so adding a few batteries didn't counter the advantages. Generator ran constantly but consumed way less fuel that a GM V8 & was just as quiet with the same range. Seems obvious?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: