Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dang windshield trim
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's right. It seems goofy but the string opens up the slot and the chrome fits right in. As you pull the string out towards the middle of the glass the seal sucks in the chrome just like when you install the window in the body. Real slick!
The difference in seals is that the cheaper ones do not have molded corners, it's just 1 piece of rubber like the straight parts of the blocked seal, without the corner parts, like a bug seal. For a little more $ I'd go with the KGPR blocked seals but I had already bought mine from WCM and had already sent a bunch of crap back to them, didn't want to deal with returning more.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you install the string in the chrome strip groove before installing the glass on the car or after? I have always done this job by the rubber on glass first, then chrome in rubber , and install the whole assembly last method, but your idea sounds easier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghiaguy682002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: ghia windsheild Reply with quote

To install the windsheild with the chrome you put the rubber around the windshield, then put the chrome in, then the string goes inside around the rubber, then you silicon the crap out of it. It works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghiaguy682002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: ghia windsheild Reply with quote

To install the windsheild with the chrome you put the rubber around the windshield, then put the chrome in, then the string goes inside around the rubber, then you silicon the crap out of it. It works.
charmghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Ill-fitting weatherstripping Reply with quote

Hello all-
I just replaced front and rear windshield rubber on a 1972, with KGPR rubbers. I've noticed that the trim doesn't sit quite right and that there's some buckling or "waviness" of the rubber at the top corners of the rear windshield (inside edge of the trim). Any solutions to this or will hot weather make a difference? Thanks!
-Andy
Buggeroff
Argumentative Bastard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emboldened by all this "positivity", I decided to have a crack at fitting the rubber and trim to my rear window this evening. Total disaster. I can't even get the rubber to sit properly on the glass, much less advance to the trim. I wamed up the seal, but when I try to install it on the glass, it either rolls over the corners, or the at the lower edge it stubbornly eases it's way off the glass leaving a gap. I am sure ,that of the two seals I have, this is the correct piece (shorter than the front) because my other item is much to big. This is insane. I installed a cal look seal to our 69 in fifteen minutes, the whole job ! The seals were bought from KGP&R, and I am aware of some issues with these, but surely not of this magnitude. Any and all help much appreciated. Thanks, Chris. Evil or Very Mad

Headlinerless 57 Ghia
Thread deleter extrordinaire.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The KGPR catalog says: rubber on windshield, whidshield in car, string in chrome slot, chrome in place.

I did it like this: rubber on windshield, string in slot, chrome in rubber, windshield in car.

I never use any lube on my seals, I like it dry it's not as messy and things don't slip away from you.

Quote:
Emboldened by all this "positivity", I decided to have a crack at fitting the rubber and trim to my rear window this evening. Total disaster. I can't even get the rubber to sit properly on the glass, much less advance to the trim. I wamed up the seal, but when I try to install it on the glass, it either rolls over the corners, or the at the lower edge it stubbornly eases it's way off the glass leaving a gap. I am sure ,that of the two seals I have, this is the correct piece (shorter than the front) because my other item is much to big. This is insane. I installed a cal look seal to our 69 in fifteen minutes, the whole job ! The seals were bought from KGP&R, and I am aware of some issues with these, but surely not of this magnitude. Any and all help much appreciated. Thanks, Chris

Bummer Chris! I didn't have any problems ever getting the rubber on the glass. little wrinkle in the corners but that's it. And I thought the KGPR seals were the "good kind". If you did the cal look stuff before you must have the right idea, shouldn't be any difference in the seal to window part. I have done the rear window in cal look years ago, on a low light back in the 80's, and don't recall any problems. But then there is much I don't recall from the 80's...
ghiaguy682002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Quote:

The KGPR catalog says: rubber on windshield, whidshield in car, string in chrome slot, chrome in place.

I did it like this: rubber on windshield, string in slot, chrome in rubber, windshield in car.

I never use any lube on my seals, I like it dry it's not as messy and things don't slip away from you.

Quote:
Emboldened by all this "positivity", I decided to have a crack at fitting the rubber and trim to my rear window this evening. Total disaster. I can't even get the rubber to sit properly on the glass, much less advance to the trim. I wamed up the seal, but when I try to install it on the glass, it either rolls over the corners, or the at the lower edge it stubbornly eases it's way off the glass leaving a gap. I am sure ,that of the two seals I have, this is the correct piece (shorter than the front) because my other item is much to big. This is insane. I installed a cal look seal to our 69 in fifteen minutes, the whole job ! The seals were bought from KGP&R, and I am aware of some issues with these, but surely not of this magnitude. Any and all help much appreciated. Thanks, Chris

Bummer Chris! I didn't have any problems ever getting the rubber on the glass. little wrinkle in the corners but that's it. And I thought the KGPR seals were the "good kind". If you did the cal look stuff before you must have the right idea, shouldn't be any difference in the seal to window part. I have done the rear window in cal look years ago, on a low light back in the 80's, and don't recall any problems. But then there is much I don't recall from the 80's...
I installed a tpe 3 windshield the other day and we had a hell of a time. The window rubber seemed to be too thick. It was not the same width as the stock one. Silicon works very well in my opinion especially when its time to pull the string around the inside of the windshield. Yes, its messy but every little bit helps.
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the set from KGPR for the 69 (with trim). The back went in on the first try. The front has resisted all efforts for 6 weeks (don't tell me to warm it up--it was 95 here today). I ordered the "blocked" and more expensive version from House of Ghia, and it just arrived. I'll let you all know the comparison, hopefully sooner than 6 weeks.

Anybody need a windshield seal?
[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carmangary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the blocked corners, could you give a comparison of the profile of the KGPR vs House of Ghia seal when you get it? I'm curious about thickness and width of the rubber, whether or not the profile looks the same or not, etc.

Thanks,
Gary
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jbassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. No, if I may ask, how much did you pay for your blocked corner windshield seal? I thought House of Ghia was no longer in business. How did you get in touch with them?
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are in the process of acquisition or some such--he responded to my email after about a week.
~$80.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blocked is way easier to install--pictures coming soon. Anybody want to buy the cheap version?
INLANDGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok trying to put the rubber around the chrome...omg! this is not easy!
das skiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: More input and experience Reply with quote

I just completed the install of my new glass, molded seal and original aluminum molding.
I have a 74 Karmann Ghia vert and I was able to do the job by myself because I had access to both sides simultaneously.
It is definitely a PITA but doable after about 5 tries I had a very successful install, and I'm quite pleased with the results.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For me the "secret" was to have the molding as close as possible to the actual shape and contour of the groove in the seal before I even tried to install into the frame, the molding will NOT eventually fit - or be pounded in... no chance for mine anyway. I don't think it would be possible to fit the molding into the seal after it was in the frame - not enough room to "fudge".
And without a doubt I had to be sure the corners were bent down to follow the contours of the glass. There is no way I was going to get things to "conform" after the whole set-up was in the frame.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used silicone grease on the rubber seal, a heavy guage speaker wire to string the seal.
The seal on the glass, the molding into the seal and the whole unit into the frame opening.
Lots of pressure to get things started - and more pressure to get things seated.

Don't be afraid to tackle this job, I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to, but it was well worth the effort!
It was less of a pita than a couple of my pedal cluster installs! LOL.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: