Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I re-use existing rings....it keeps getting worse
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. Those are NGK B6HS plugs. Would you recommend switching to B5HS?
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reused rings mostly leave piston in the barrel i did pull pistons out once and reinstalled in same barrels never felt any different or no blowby,

Last tear down i just replaced rings and honed barrels.Didnt want to remove piston from barrels 2 times without re ringing.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxracer wrote:

Yes go to a B5HS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxracer wrote:

I am vented at both heads which runs up behind the firewall to a charcoal breather. (stock configuration for a late type 3) The stock oil breather for the case is also vented out to a small cloth type filter.

Do any of your vent lines end up returning to the intake somewhere?? You may just be sucking oil through the vent lines and burning it. Also is the baffle plate under the generator stand properly installed? If installed incorrectly excessive oil consumption is the result.

You need venting but you don't want to create vacuum / pressure situation that ends up sucking oil in from the vent system. Look very very carefully at how your vent system is configured.

How about some photos of your engine and venting system for us to look at??

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxracer wrote:
witch ever way is next step wormer.
and removing rings from a cylinder dosent hurt the rings in any way, if you dont remove them how do you know somethen isant afu??or on the way??isant that like rebuilding an engine with a can of breakleen& a rear seal?or spliting the case and never checking the heads??do it all on every motor.
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I pulled the engine and have it torn down. I did a leak down on it cold again after pulling it and it showed good, only 5% loss on every hole, but the rings didn't seat for sure.

I drove the car the night before pulling then engine and pulled it in the morning. Every cylinder had some oil sitting in the cylinder and the carbon buildup after 2K miles looked like 50K Shocked

Waiting on the flex hone and rings now along with some other stuff I am going to correct.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the guides too,and make sure the rings are dry when you ree assemble the motor.
tbirdscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You always want a light coating of oil on the pistons, rings, wrist pin, and cylinder when assembling an engine. Running the engine will get oil in these areas but starting it dry will cause hot spots and uneven wear in the first minutes of running.

Maybe your engine builder incorrectly gapped the rings or placed the rings in the wrong positions. Pull it down and check it out, its just an engine not rocket science!

Scott
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oil the skirts,oil the pins,Dont oil the rings or the ring grooves,oil the cylinder and wipe it all out.then you can install the piston into the cylinder,you can also use quick seat.
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it keeps getting worse and worse... Sad

While cleaning up the case I noticed a loose head stud/case saver, which turned into 3. Not wobbly just not locktite'd in and the case saver was spinning. That prompted me to split the case so I could remove them and locktite them.

Once I split the case I see the center main is worn. This is with a new CB 74mm crank and steel backed bearings. The case was not align bored, the "builder" said it was fine and just scuffed the case to clean it up. When assembled the crank turned nice and smooth by hand with no hard spots at all.

So, couple of questions.

1. How bad is that for 2000 miles? am I wrong that it's worn excessively?
2. What is the most likely cause?
3 What's the next step?

This is REALLY disheartening on a new engine. F ME

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxracer wrote:
So it keeps getting worse and worse... Sad

While cleaning up the case I noticed a loose head stud/case saver, which turned into 3. Not wobbly just not locktite'd in and the case saver was spinning. That prompted me to split the case so I could remove them and locktite them.

Once I split the case I see the center main is worn. This is with a new CB 74mm crank and steel backed bearings. The case was not align bored, the "builder" said it was fine and just scuffed the case to clean it up. When assembled the crank turned nice and smooth by hand with no hard spots at all.

So, couple of questions.

1. How bad is that for 2000 miles? am I wrong that it's worn excessively?
2. What is the most likely cause?
3 What's the next step?

This is REALLY disheartening on a new engine. F ME

1. That's bad for 20,000 miles, let alone 2,000... very excessive.
2. Center Journal was out of round from being beat out previously. The more the clearance, the faster it gets worse.
3. The case crank journals need to be line bored and the correct oversize OD bearings used. The crank also needs to have runout and journal roundness checked. If you can afford it, shuffle pin the case.

Paul
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who did the case work? the spigot for the cylinder looks damn close to one of the stud inserts in the bottom left of your pic, a lot closer than the others, wondering if they were machined off centre

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

needs bearings,that one is dead.check linebore,check crank for balance&being straight.check oil system, check all bearing clearances, thourly clean everything. there is a lot of dibreis in that bearing,is all of the oil getting filtered?? are all the oil lines AND fittings the correct size?relief spring ok? booster spring??? oe spring?? or week relief spring??oil /filter not changed soon enough after cam breakin??something is going on, if you dont find out it Will do it again.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear is excessive.........why? I don't know

If you know what the clearance is now OR what it was to begin with, that would be a clue

Could be some fine dirt, from poor oil or air filtration, if the crank has some signs of abrasion then that would point to dirt.
If not then it is probably too tight or lack of lubrication.

Last edited by modok on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same douche bag did the case work.

It's camera angle though. I went back down to the shop to check.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. 2. What is the most likely cause?
3 What's the next step?

What was your main bearing clearances when new?
Was it balanced?

Usually you see bearing wear like that in an old abused stocker. I have a few stock cranks here but not one as a center main that is still within wear specs. And the mains that were in the cases, some had that much wear others not.

Measure, measure, measure. Make sure it is all within proper specs before assembly.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
needs bearings,that one is dead.check linebore,check crank for balance&being straight.check oil system, check all bearing clearances, thourly clean everything. there is a lot of dibreis in that bearing,is all of the oil getting filtered?? are all the oil lines AND fittings the correct size?relief spring ok? booster spring??? oe spring?? or week relief spring??oil /filter not changed soon enough after cam breakin??something is going on, if you dont find out it Will do it again.

It's not full flowed so it's only getting stock "filtering". Booster kit was installed and had good pressure, well to much with thicker oil. If it was the oil change that is all my fault. I did run it a bit after the initial cam break in to tune it a bit. Sad

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:
. 2. What is the most likely cause?
3 What's the next step?

What was your main bearing clearances when new?
Was it balanced?

Usually you see bearing wear like that in an old abused stocker. I have a few stock cranks here but not one as a center main that is still within wear specs. And the mains that were in the cases, some had that much wear others not.

Measure, measure, measure. Make sure it is all within proper specs before assembly.

I was told the clearances were ok. I don't have the numbers. Everything was balanced. There is evidence of the balancing work and was done by a "real" machine shop not the "builder".

I feel like a total dumb ass and schmuck for trusting someone else with my shit. Won't happen again. Costing me way more time and money WITHOUT the experience than if I'd have done it myself the first time.

I guess on the bright if the rings would have seated I'd not have found the worse issues and I'd have most likely had a complete disaster.
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a lot of movement and fretting at the case half, I question the balancing job, and/or the torque applied to the main studs.
All you can do now is redo some of the steps and move on, I would have
the entire assembly re-balanced by a known good shop that is familiar with VW's.
I would have the case line bored, new bearings.
I would add a full flow set up, FYI these engines don't have oil filters, that
screen in the bottom is nothing more than a bolder catcher, it is not a filter.
Set it all up carefully checking you clearences as you go, use good oil such
as Amsoil Z-rod, and move forward.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep....can see the fretting.....case halves may have not been torqued sufficiently....and is that cae aluminum? Looks like it.....do the oil holes in the saddles line up correctly?
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea I would torque the two halves together at 25 lbs and check with a flashlight...specially the center and rear main. Depending on what you find will determine if torqueing to 35 lbs and line boring can save the case.

That center main does not look too good.

As for squirting oil on the rings I learned to do that over 70 yrs ago which is considered to be standard procedure from the old school which still applies today.. There is grease or oil on all pistons and cyls out of the box. They are not assembled dry so why assemble dry to initial firing up.

Most knowledged builders will assemble with some grease/oil and crank a engine over a few times with the coil disconnected before firing it up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: