Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

repairing Fiama awning fabric
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: repairing Fiama awning fabric Reply with quote

My Fiama awning has a couple of tears in it, one at the "leading edge" where the fabric is attached and one at the van end. Anyone have any insights as to how to fix the fabric?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that a professional canvas company could give you a better answer than I,
however, have you thought about those iron on patches? Maybe you could color match the
stuff if you go to a fabric shop?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they make a fabric glue that glues canvas.works great.weldbond universal adhesvies is one. google how to repair canvas awning, there's alot of videos on it
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For such a nice piece, may want to take it to a actual tarp/upholstery repair shop for a quote? Longevity of a patch may not be as good, and I've patched, and sewn alot of fabric.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Patch Reply with quote

Being a pragmatist, I certainly would consider a patch - but - the tear is right adjacent to where the fabric is fastened into either end. If I knew how the end of the fabric was secured into the 'leading edge" I'd take it apart and just shorten the awning length by an inch or two on each end - the other rip is where the fabric attaches at the van end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Fiamma awning and have had it for years. It did cost me
Quite a bit though when I purchased it. So when I seen one on a ford
Van in the junkyard I jumped on it. Got it for 50.00. Well
I never opened it before I bought it just wanting to get it home.
When I opened it later the canvas was destroyed. Had a bunch of burn holes.
I took awning to a local canvas upholstery shop. They replaced it with a sunbrella material. It's cost me 200.00 to have the new fabric installed.
I ended up selling that awning with a "flip" van I sold but I seen it a year later
and it was still holding up well. This may be an option that the OP may want
to look into.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are near water, what about a sail maker for yachts
they should be able to fix it for you

@ BillM ~ good tip on the junkyard for a fiamma i'd not thought of looking in them for one Cool

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: fiamma Reply with quote

All right - let me change the question - probably not specific enough earlier.
Does anyone know how the fabric is held at each end of the Fiamma awning? If I knew how it was held, I could probably figure out how to shorten the awning by a couple of inches to undamaged fabric.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the parts diagrams it looks like there is a strip on the end that must be either sewn or welded (it's a PVC material) that slides into the roller tube. Google the Fiamma drawings and you will see what I mean. I tried calling the shop that repaired the one for me and there is to much of a language barrier.
You'll have to take it apart to be sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: