Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decided to take the westy to paint!
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Decided to take the westy to paint! Reply with quote

After hearing 5-7K paint pricetags.. a couple 1500 quotes to fix rust..

I've decided to do the work myself, perhaps put some extra attention to a couple nice to haves in the process. I can sacrifice my hands and sanity for a couple weekends to save that kinda cash and be proud of my/our own work.

I've taken 5 years of welding in HS/College, recently replaced the roof steel in my Gti before sending it to Maaco for full body. I'll never Maaco a car again. I grew up in production/custom fabrication, specifically spraying anything from two parts, lacquers, marine grade, oil and latex, stains.. many applications, conditions. I've been working in a cooshie office job, so time to get dirty.

I cant say I'm a body man directly, but I've seen enough of it done, am aware of the process, steps, materials, have built/repaired enough steel/mixed material projects, painting them in the process having worked with many epoxies, fiberglass resins, fillers and such, surely there will be some differences, but I think I have "transferrable skills" that will allow me to knock this out. Mostly, its all about prep. Prep, we can do...

Sonya seems to do pretty good with prep, cleaning, and we have worked well as a team during our condo drywall, texture, paint, countless car mod, and three car restores. So, we should have good tempo.

I feel the main things here will be to identify the steps. Planning.

Things to do while in there.. like updates, body mods, accent painting, Sunroof/fiberglass windbreak modification?

First, I'm going to remove the RMW bumpers, go to roller wheels, strip all windows, seals, and then sand, sand sand...... no, not at the beach, that's later this summer, I promised her!!!

I/We see this as an opportunity to restore the jambs, body, repaint interior/exterior fiberglass top, install seals, finishing our restore for a spring launch..

During this project we're ready for a new tent, already have the seal kits, looking to update the roof with thermal/sound insulation/lining, possibly paint rocker panels in raptor lining..

I've already got a good base of tools, Makita variable polisher, Sander, will be amassing the needed body tools, other supplies, masks, protection.

I'm thinking staying OE paint color, which is a darker metallic burgundy, retexture the top and go over that in regular paint. Along the way, could rationalize painting around windows in black, the recessed areas around windows, alongside the van, sorta Eurovan-esque.

I have to do some research as to how soon I can spray on raptor on a full paint job, but ideally I would like to coat the jambs in certain areas, seat bases, and rocker panels in black, possibly even color matching the burgundy vs black, going to get a good digital picture and Photoshop that.

I've been looking at renting a place to do some body work, paint prep, and then drag the van into a rental booth for the spray. If it comes to it, could even use a garage, do up a cheap ET tent and get a couple panel filters, some box fans.. (beats sprayin farm equipment outside)

This project is not without its questions, curious how much product you guys used on your job, quarts of primer, paint, any good paints to use? any to avoid?

Ms. Clause knows I've been good this year, and knows I really need a MIG, tank guages and spool gun.... Rolling Eyes

If you have a thread about paint, like the paint idea, have ideas, please feel free to share!

Thanks!
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his question is the same as many others..how much product,time etc to do the entire job?

The answer? No pics...no idea on your ability and your budget...it's a loaded question.

Read the stickies or do a search on your exact topic there are hundreds on here for sure and all have you answers!!

see my "gallery" for more pics other than the website.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my experience for an inside and outside respray (3 coats) on a 13 window bus (in order of application):

1.5 gallon epoxy primer for initial interior & exterior seal (& prepaint sealer)
1 gallon Rage Gold or similar filler
1 quart featherfill or similar skim coat
1 gallon high build primer
1 gallon single stage urathane will cover interior and exterior top half
my guestimate is 0.5 gallon single stage urathane will cover exterior bottom half (haven't finished that part yet)...

oh and I have no idea on hours - for me its been maybe 3000 hours (but I am not very efficient or experienced and my bus had several sheet metal panels that I replaced - nose, rocker, & battery tray)

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mark's post summs it up for me. Thanks Mark!

I'd also looked further into the search, and found others, but no one calls out specifics, cost of materials, choices they were aware of, and why they went a certain way.

As for prep, sanding off multiple layers of cheapie paint, the prep will take me a couple weekends.

I told the lady, either we work and pay for this, which I'm unsure how long it takes you to make 7K cash free, above the atypical day to day expenses..

Even with a double income, the lady and I confir, we would rather go on vacation with that money.. and shred a couple weekends of our time doing the work and it will be done.

I just think laying out a management plan for the thing will be far more worthwhile. Lady tends to agree, but isnt so gung ho to do it.. she hates sanding.

As for me, I cant tell you how many thousands of hours I've logged on various abrasive devices. I'm sadly.. used to it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: