Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walk Through to Bulkhead Seating
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Walk Through to Bulkhead Seating Reply with quote

Hi,
I am still on the hunt for a bus. I'm taking everyone's opinion in consideration when I post and learn more about these unique vehicles. Originally, I had my mind set that I wanted a 21 window van, after looking at the options and communicating with some other folks, I am highly considering a 13 window deluxe model.

I have one question, regarding the front seats. I am not a fan of the walkthrough models, I like the idea of the continuous seat in the front with the bulkhead division in the back.

Is it possible to change that over? Can I buy a walkthrough and take the individual seats out and find a donor bulkhead front section or do the various companies make those pieces of metal?

I know some will argue it is changing the original van, I may not even do this. I just want to know if it is an option to explore if I can't find a bus that fits my needs that has the solid seats, and I only find one with the walkthrough.

Thank you for your time and response.

Spitty
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold out and find one that already had a full bulkhead. Not worth the work and harrassment to change one over.

I would think a full bulkhead would be easier to find than a walk-thru anyway. At least if you're talking about a splitty bus (pre-68 )
thewalkingdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Walk Through to Bulkhead Seating Reply with quote

Don't like the walk-thru? Trade it for a bench seat. No sense ruining a walk-thru.
rusbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I've heard anyone enquire about transitioning this way. Usually folks want to go bench seat to walkthrough. Walkthrough is more rare and desirable, so you should actually have an easier time finding one. I suppose that if you found yourself in a beat down walkthrough that you wouldn't mind cutting up and wanted to switch, you'd have no trouble finding a person with a bench seat bus who would trade you sections. Be advised though, that it is a very intense procedure: more than just the bulkhead; also the floor section between the seats, where the heating knob comes out, & the spare tire well in the back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to state the obvious (to me, maybe not to a new bus person)

a 13 window would have never had a continuous bench. 13 windows (having started in 64) would have still used a split bench. Drivers seat is the same for a walkthrough, passenger seat would have been a wider 2/3rds.

early bench
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Late bench (as any 13 would have)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't know what all would be involved in putting an early full bench in a split bench bus. I actually prefer a full bench too, having had both. Much more easier to get closer to the lady riding shotgun
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Just to state the obvious (to me, maybe not to a new bus person)

a 13 window would have never had a continuous bench. 13 windows (having started in 64) would have still used a split bench. Drivers seat is the same for a walkthrough, passenger seat would have been a wider 2/3rds.

early bench
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/284886.jg[/img]

Late bench (as any 13 would have)
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/356406.jg[/img]

I don't know what all would be involved in putting an early full bench in a split bench bus. I actually prefer a full bench too, having had both. Much more easier to get closer to the lady riding shotgun

i think he meant making it a non walkthrough outta a walk through.

personally i have a non walkthrough and even though its a pain sometimes climbing over or having to get out and go around, i wouldnt want a walk through.

i love having my girl or my dog sit right next to me. i wouldnt want that space there.

another option would be instead of welding in a full bulkhead, just building a bracket to fit the seat. i have seen something similiar to this in the bay forum.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave your wallet at home until you try this: drive both. Many say the offset seating of the W/T is annoying when steering. Others say the bench is boring. Test drive both before you buy. Maybe ID is different- but I've only seen a couple 13w buses that weren't W/T. It also depends on how many people you want to carry (7 vs.9)- and what you want to carry in the "trunk" (can you spare the room for the spare?).

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't like walk-thru either but changing one to a bench is going to cost alot and will be a major pita
i think it would be cheaper and easier to just get a standard(11 w) and have the other two windows grafted in
the only real difference between 11w and 13w is is two windows, dash clock, trim, and other small deluxe pieces easy to bolt on to any bus

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove a walkthrough for a couple of hours and it was comfy, I liked the space in the middle for putting you drink down and the convinence was great. But now that I have driven my bench bus, I think it is more roomy and you can sit directly behind the steering wheel. I agree with the above, don't hack a bus to change the seating. If your budget can afford it, don't settle, look for the bus you really want. My budget was real tight and the bus I bought was a bench that needed tons of work.
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 13-window walk-thru does not have an offset seat from the wheel, that is only the 61 and earlier walk-thru Buses.

A walk-thru is nice... if you can walk-thru. I think there might be a height/weight limit on fitment so if you are big and/or tall, that may be something to consider.

A bench is better if you want to lay stuff on the seat next to you. On a walk-thru stuff you put on the walk-thru section can fall over. I usually keep my water bottle next to the door, it sort of tucks behind the driver's seat on my '63 (same spacing as a 64-67 Bus)

The 62 and earlier full non-split bench seat is nicer than the split bench, if you find an earlier Bus. The 61-62 "hump" full bench is uncomfortable to me, I like the 60-down smooth seat back better.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roberto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive both, mine is a walk thru. My brothers panel is a non. Both are 66 models. the seat is the same in those. Mine is a westy, his is a panel. to me there is no difference. beside whether the pile of crap is on the floor or on the seat. I like the walk thru, but at the same time i never actually walk thru it.

In short, if you want a non walk thru, then buy that. theres plenty. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
A 13-window walk-thru does not have an offset seat from the wheel, that is only the 61 and earlier walk-thru Buses.

Never the arguing type is me- but the steering wheel is approx. 2" to the right of center relative to the seat frame. It feels alot like driving a long distance with your wallet in your back pocket- subtle, but annoying. Short drives- no problem- no pain. The early buses are far more dramatically offset- though completely acceptable in the American truck world...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and knowledge and expertise.

Each time I ask a question, I am learning more solid information so that when I buy my first bus I find one that will be a good fit.

At this time, I still like the solid bench seat for reasons mentioned in several posts. I also, like the look of the interior with the solid bulkhead to separate the two areas.

So, it looks like, I will look for a later model that has the bulkhead as a standard feature. Or, I just might find a 13 window deluxe that has a walkthrough and buy it if it is a good choice in terms of price and condition for my first bus.

Happy Holidays!

Spitty
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Never the arguing type is me- but the steering wheel is approx. 2" to the right of center relative to the seat frame. It feels alot like driving a long distance with your wallet in your back pocket- subtle, but annoying. Short drives- no problem- no pain. The early buses are far more dramatically offset- though completely acceptable in the American truck world...

I don't have a late bench seat Bus to compare against but I do not believe the driver's seat position of the walk-thru vs. the non-walk thru Bus is different, although I welcome any measurements to show a difference.

I agree it's not perfectly behind the wheel though but I don't find myself sitting to the edge of the seat frame or anything.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roberto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt there is a diff. the seat mount to the outside of the bus is the same, mounted in the same location.

the inside rail is the same, just the bottom part is on a slightly diff piece. ones sitting on an edge and the other is mounted to a flat surface.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jesus_chrysler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a 67 walk thru and I noticed right away that the drivers seat is a little bit off center to the wheel. still comfortable to me tho.

The passenger seat on the other hand... its a little weird being right up agenst the door.
67 11 Window
70 Charger 440
76 Kawasaki H1 triple 2stroke
71 Yamaha R5
06 Chopped HD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: