Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vin & engine mysteries
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1 THING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: vin & engine mysteries Reply with quote

decoding my VIN and engine case numbers are near impossible......ive checked "how to keep your VW alive" and every online resource i can get my hands on......anyone want to take a stab at it Laughing
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you trying to decode? I can tell you that a Thing engine case begins with AM
1 THING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah mine doesnt.....on driver's side 2BR/24 000.101.101 4 VW Brazil
passenger side 2BR/22 000.101.102 2 VW Brazil

cant find those numbers, specifically the "BR" label anywhere Laughing
1 THING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIN on door pillar sticker and on chasis under back seat match up, plate under hood is missing (i think it was rivoted)
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello?? The VIN of the air cooled vw has a specific pattern. The numbering system for the air cooled engines have a separate very specific numbering system. The same is true of the transaxle... The VW Thing body also has a stamped serial number that is rarely mentioned. I have lots of data on these options and can expand on any of these topics or not... K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1 THING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
Hello?? The VIN of the air cooled vw has a specific pattern. The numbering system for the air cooled engines have a separate very specific numbering system. The same is true of the transaxle... The VW Thing body also has a stamped serial number that is rarely mentioned. I have lots of data on these options and can expand on any of these topics or not... K-mann
well, have you read exactly what i wrote? i found the stamped chassis number and it matches the pillar sticker.....only thing i left out is the huge possibility i dont have an original engine, just want to know it's origins.......no stamped number on base of generator stand, but rather a vw symbol and hints of a number on the filler neck?
1 THING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but please expand as much as your able or id really appreciate guidance in the right direction for the data
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what do you want to decode? Based on the information you given to date sounds like you have some sort of replacement engine and not the original AM engine.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 THING wrote:
but please expand as much as your able or id really appreciate guidance in the right direction for the data

We have all read your entry, and you wanted to know if you have an original engine. According to the case part numbers you do not have an original one. You can verify this by obtaining the numbers on the case where it meets the generator stand. That is your engine number.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW Chassis Number

The first two digits of a VW chassis number or VIN are the first two digits of the basic model number of the vehicle. For example 32 is a Dasher, 17 is a Rabbit and 18 is a Thing.

The third digit tells you the year of productions. If the first three digits in a VW VIN are183these number indicate that the vehicle is a 1973 Thing.

The last six or seven digits in the VIN are the numbers that indicate the consecutive order in which the vehicle was produced in its production year.

The VIN number on the Thing is located on a silver plate on the driver’s side under the front bonnet. It is also stamped on the chassis tunnel just in front of the inspection plate for the shifter coupler.

The VW Parts Numbering System

VW parts have 9 digits and sometimes a letter at the end

The first three numbers indicate the VW model, for which the type or version that the part was built. For example a part number that starts 181 is a Thing only part. On the other hand a part that starts with 111 is a part that was for a Bug, but now comes the tricky part, but could easily and was used on many other VWs. For example a 111 937 093A is an in line fuse holder that was used on every VW model produced from 1954-1968. The 111 indicated it was designed for a Bug but then VW used it on all of its cars from 1954-1968.

Here is a list of the VW Types and their model numbers
* Models numbers not identified will be added as data is confirmed
Type 1
Bug
111 Standard Bug
117 Bug *
113 Bug *
133 Super Beetle
141 Ghia
143 Ghia
151 Bug Convertible
181 The Thing

Type 2
211 Bus
Type 3
311 Fastback
313 Fastback *
361 Squareback
363 Squareback *
* to be identified
Type 4
Rabbit,
Scirocco
Dasher

The fourth number in the part numbering series indicates what main group or system the parts functions under.

Main Groups

1 Engine
2 Fuel tank, exhaust system, heating system, (air conditioning)
3 Transmission
4 Front axle, steering, (differential)
5 Rear axle
6 Road wheels, brakes
7 Hand lever system, brake cluster (frame)
8 Body
9 Electrical equipment

The next two numbers (or the 5th and 6th number) indicate the subgroup system
If the 5th and 6th number are “98” this indicated a repair kit

The final three numbers the actual part number within the main group

A letter at the end of a part number indicates that the part is a modification of the originally designed part. It denotes an upgrade or change. Sometimes it indicates a model specific part that was modified to meet a specific need such as the Thing CVs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the numbers i think he is seeing is the casting numbers on the side of the engine case halfs on the bottom side of the case it sounds like you have a replacment case that has not had a number stamped on it or it is a rebuilt engine with a new case that has never been stamped
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 THING wrote:
yeah mine doesnt.....on driver's side 2BR/24 000.101.101 4 VW Brazil
passenger side 2BR/22 000.101.102 2 VW Brazil

cant find those numbers, specifically the "BR" label anywhere Laughing

That's because those are the part numbers of the case halves, not the engine serial number. They will not be in any list.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an example of the engine number stamp on the engine case below the generator stand.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a factory Thing case #AM 013099

uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 THING wrote:
no stamped number on base of generator stand, but rather a vw symbol and hints of a number on the filler neck?

The numbers on the filler are 1-4-3-2, which is the firing order

The lack of numbers on the case directly under the filler most likely indicate a replacement engine of some kind either dealer provided of aftermarket built with what was at some time a new, replacement case.

OR

If memory serves, the type 3 engines had their case number to the right of the distributor on the ridge at the case half seam.

Keep in mind that the VIN has ZERO relation to the original engine serial number.

The only thing to "Decode" about the VIN is the year or production, which is the 3rd number of your VIN. The third number is the last number of the year.
So...
183 = 1973
184 = 1974

Got it??
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1 THING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
Here is an example of the engine number stamp on the engine case below the generator stand.

i do not have numbers in either of those PLaces....engine or generator stand....all i see is that vw stamp in the upper left of your photo on the neck of the fill tube......my fault, i should have been more clear i guess.....the post above where the individual numbers of the "VIN" are what i was wanting to decode........that tell what each digit means, but i couldnt find a list for what the individual numbers mean (where made, etc)

thanks so much for the help....ill have to try and find an engine stamp somewhere Laughing
1 THING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberautowerks wrote:
1 THING wrote:
no stamped number on base of generator stand, but rather a vw symbol and hints of a number on the filler neck?

The numbers on the filler are 1-4-3-2, which is the firing order

The lack of numbers on the case directly under the filler most likely indicate a replacement engine of some kind either dealer provided of aftermarket built with what was at some time a new, replacement case.

OR

If memory serves, the type 3 engines had their case number to the right of the distributor on the ridge at the case half seam.

Keep in mind that the VIN has ZERO relation to the original engine serial number.

The only thing to "Decode" about the VIN is the year or production, which is the 3rd number of your VIN. The third number is the last number of the year.
So...
183 = 1973
184 = 1974

Got it??
i do understand, i really appreciate the info!!!! ill look beside the distributor to see if i can find my numbers, i guess it's possible there are none?
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 THING wrote:
I do understand, I really appreciate the info!!!! I'll look beside the distributor to see if I can find my numbers, I guess it's possible there are none?

The replacement cases had no serial numbers.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you had a type 3 case the numbers would be on the top but the main difference is there would not be a hole for the dipstick it sounds like you have a replacement case
1 THING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im guessing ido, looked over the whole case(everything not blocked by the body of the car) and couldnt find serials anywhere

replacement it is......pewp! Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: