Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Primer look with more protection?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Primer look with more protection? Reply with quote

I remember seeing a post here about getting the primer look but with more protection than just primer. Can't seem to find it. I have a bare metal hood coming and some rust areas coming on a car that I want to keep the original paint on, but some areas need to be protected. I like the gray primer look (it's light blue paint) but I know primer doesn't offer much protection.
martyrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could use epoxy primer. It is impervious to moisture, so it will protect the metal from rusting and still give you the gray primer look you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banditwolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen light gray gloss paint.
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if you want primer vibe or flat black...if grey primer is what your looking for...then epoxy light grey is about all your gonna get...if you want the flat/semi look black I would recommend sikkens rally black or hot rod flats...planet color rod black etc.

see my "gallery" for more pics other than the website.
rmcssboomer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Squeegskustoms Reply with quote

In my search for the perfect paint, I came across this place that has epoxy sealer primer plus epoxy satin tinted paint in various colors. Hope you find what you are looking for.
http://squeegskustoms.com/index.html
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Found this picture to give an idea of the look I'm trying to do. The light gray around the hood, with the good paint feathered around it. Patina without the rust, if that makes any sense.
The simplest and cheapest way I can think to do this is lay down primer (a filler one, probably), put a top coat, and than just lay down more primer on that. So I have the top coat for protection (like a flat white) and than the primer for the look. Just using basic Rustoleum stuff here, not set up for spraying or want to deal with harsh chemicals. That Squeeg stuff can't even be shipped here.
By the way, does this kind of look have a specific name? I've seen plenty of classic cars with it, but when I search 'rat rods' it's just rust city.
Our65split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search for 'Hot rod flatz' I think its on the Eastwood website along with other custom paints like candies, chameleon, etc. Looking to do my 65 Kombi flat after I get bodywork done.
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epoxy will chalk over time..did that to a few trucks and muscle cars awhile back and they chalked out.

Hot rod flats,rally black from sikkens or flat clear over any toner color.

Grey,red and black can easily be done with a flat clear over top and the look will be exactly like dull primer.

dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyurethane epoxy. Pretty much bulletproof.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't have uv protection..it will chalk over time. Epoxy usually is a urethAne based product ,because it's meant to be topcoated,it does protect from sunlight and excessive water,say rain etc. But def' the best protection for sure if minimal exposure is done.

4xmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epoxy primers such as PPG DP series will not hold for any length of time. they work as a substrate and protection prior to using filler primer. As Shell said there is not UV protection. The products that Squeeg's sells are top of the line. They build hot rods that contend for the top national awards and their products stand the test of time. The pricing is extremely competitive.

If you are looking for a lasting "Patina" look, take a light gray base coat and top coat it with what ever color you want and then wet sand with a 600 or 800 grit paper. sand in areas you want the light gray to show through. Next clean the hell out of the paint with a good wax and grease cleaner. Last, find a flat clear and clear coat the car. This will create the effect and provide a long lasting old looking paint job. I have done this and seen it done. Not for me, but it does look good for the old effect.

I would lay down maybe 3 coats of the ground color and maybe 2 of the top color. this will allow you to sand through the top quickly and have plenty of ground color as to not break through the base.
1969 Square Back
1956 Oval Sedan
1965 Bug Sedan
Current VW's
1964 Bug
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...that works too...clear,sand it which ever but def not just epoxy or raw primer.

Sanny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epoxy primer will rust if left on bare metal (which it what its for)- its a primer not a sealer. If you don't believe it, you can look at my bus- I took the whole thing down to metal and epoxy primed it with a nice wet coat and over time it chalked, now there are rust spots everywhere. Use a sealer, a top coat of color or clear but do not leave it with only epoxy primer for any length of time or you'll get rust.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: