Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiberglass Dune Buggy Owner Locator Map (New)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass Dune Buggy Owner Locator Map (New) Reply with quote

Message from creator:
Gary0302 wrote:
Attention to all current and prospective Fiberglass Dune Buggy Owner Locator Map Users (zeemaps.com):

I originally created this map at the end of 2011 by using the template on zeemaps.com, and up to this point, there has been absolutely no charge for me to use this service. I just got notification that, starting April 1, 2018, maximum views will be limited to 100 unless I convert over to one of their pay plans ($19.95 per month and up). I do not plan to accept this option, therefore I will delete the current map some time towards the end of March 2018.

I want to apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause current users, and I also want to thank all of you for your participation and cooperation.

Hello Everyone,

Since the old Dune Buggy Locator map appears to have gone bye-bye, I have decided to create one myself. I have tried to test out all variables, so hopefully the map will operate as planned.

The directions at first will appear long and drawn-out, but I believe that I have covered most scenarios. This map is intended to cover owners of fiberglass dune buggies (red markers), along with locations of buggy body and chassis manufacturers (yellow markers), fiberglass dune buggy builders (blue makers) and air cooled VW repair shops (green markers). Please feel free to add a marker for yourself if you want. Instructions are as follows:

Fiberglass Dune Buggy Owner Locator Map – Instructions
Please read these directions from start to finish before actually filling in the required/optional blanks. Once you have filled out all of your chosen informantion and you hit the "Submit" button at the bottom, you will not be able to make and further changes, even when your marker is approved and appears on the map. Requests for changes, modifications, updates, etc need to be sent to [email protected]. Thanks.

The new Fiberglass Dune Buggy Owner Locator map is located at https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=297983. This map was created to show markers in 4 categories; 1.) Fiberglass Dune Buggy Owners (red markers), 2.) buggy body and chassis manufacturers (yellow markers), 3.) fiberglass dune buggy builders (blue markers), and 4.) Air Cooled VW Repair Shops (green markers). In order to submit your request to have your marker added to the map, please use the following directions. Certain boxes require information to be submitted, others are optional. Please keep all of your information G - Rated, or your request for submittance will be denied:

Click on the Additions button located on the top Navigation Bar at the top of the map, and then select Add Marker - Detailed. A box entitled Add your Entry should appear in the middle of your screen.

1.) Location Tab:

Entry Name (Required), for example; Gary Holbrook or Gary0302's Berrien Dune Buggy, or something similar.

Address, City, Postal Code, County, State (Optional) OR specify a Longitude/Latitude, but your MUST choose between one of the 2 options. If you do not know your Longitude/Latitude, just slide the Add Your Entry box over to the side of the window (by grabbing the Title bar in the same manner that you would move an open window), and use the location controls on the extreme left of the window to zoom in on your requested location. North, South, East and West movement controls are located at the top left corner, with the Zoom control located just below. Once you have determined the location of your marker, click on the Map Select a Location choice in the Location Tab, Click OK on the small Click on Map to select location box, and then just Left Click on the map, then left click ONCE on the map at your desired location. The Longitude/Latitude coordinates will automatically fill in on the Location Tab (you will not yet see the red marker at this point).

IMPORTANT: please do not feel obligated to provide us with your exact location. You may choose any area/street location within your home city area. If you decide to privately enter your address as a marker reference, it will not show up for public viewing.

Marker Color: Red for Fiberglass Dune Buggy Owners,Yellow for Buggy Body and Chassis Manufacturers, Blue for Fiberglass Dune Buggy Builders, and Green for Air Cooled VW Repair Shops.

2.) Details Tab:

Dune Buggy Description or Business Details (Optional), you can name/describe your dune buggy, and if you would like to have others see your email address, you can include it in this block. IMPORTANT: If you are a Air Cooled VW Repair Business, you may want to enter your address and phone number along with featured services in this box as well (it’s the only way this information will be visible for public viewing).

Email (Required), this box WILL NOT be visible to those that visit the map (but it will be visible to the map's administrator). Email addresses WILL NOT be used by the administrator (unless you need to be contacted for entry clarification), and email addresses WILL NOT be used for email distribution or shared with 3rd parties.

Phone (Optional), to be honest, I do not see a need to fill in this blank unless you are an Air Cooled VW Repair Shop; this blank will not be visible to those that visit the map (but it will be visible to the map's administrator).

Website URL (Optional)

Usernames/Forums (Optional), you can show your Username(s) with the domain names of the Forums that you have joined (example: Gary0302 at thesamba.com Forum). That way, others can join the Forum and contact you without having access to your email address.

Facebook link (Optional)

Twitter link (Optional)

3.) Media Tab

Photo (Optional), maximum viewable size is set at 200w x 150h pixels.

Audio (Optional)

YouTube Video ID, maximum viewable size is set at 200w x 150 pixels.

You can then Preview your marker information by making that choice at the bottom of the window; then you can Submit your marker once you are completely satisfied with your included information. IMPORTANT: the Reset Button at the bottom of the window will clear all of the boxes back to blank and you must start the process completely over from the beginning, but it will not work after your have clicked on the Submit button.

IMPORTANT: After you hit the Submit button, you may see one or more address choices drop down from the Address Box. You will either have to select the best choice or determine your Longitude/Latitude coordinates manually before hitting the Submit button again (I agree, it can be confusing). You will then get a confirmation that your Entry was accepted (pending approval by the administrator).

Once you have submitted your marker for approval, please allow at least 48 hours before it actually appears on the map (hopefully, most wait times will be shorter).

If you have any questions or if you want to modify or delete your entry (requests must come from the same email address that is privately listed in your entry), please send them to [email protected]

Thanks,
Gary Holbrook, Fiberglass Dune Buggy Owner Locator Map Administrator

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank those that have added a marker so far. It seems that Vincent (Vincent9993 here on thesamba.com) really took advantage of most of the options that this map had to offer. Check out his marker up near Montreal, Canada.

Once again, this map is for home locations of fiberglass dune buggy owners, dune buggy builders, body and chassis manufacturers, and air cooled VW repair shops. If you have any questions, you can either send me a PM or an email to [email protected]. Thanks again.

Mike_CNYBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome. I'll Add mine! What do you think of adding a marker for car clubs?

Kristen's Buggy (UltaViolet) Build Thread

VW Club of Central New York
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Geographic shift or major earthquake? Reply with quote

Gary, somehow (I'm thinking MAJOR earthquake, or a screw-up on my part) Warminster ,Pa wound up just west of Waterville, Maine. I thought I felt something shake in the middle of the night the other night, but I just wrote it off to my wife's "Mexican Surprise" casserole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I seriously thought about adding car clubs as an option, but I decided to stick with a fiberglass dune buggy - related format. My exception is that I have also included air cooled VW repair shops, so that dune buggy owners have possible options that may be in or near their home area.

I have another, more involved, project that I am working on, but it is still in the beginning-to-intermediate stages; and probably won't be ready for at least another month or so. This map is really a small part of that project. Hopefully, I will be able to get this project up and running within the next month or so.

Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob (Axitech),

If you want, you can create another marker at or near your hometown, and once you do, just send me a PM and I will delete the duplicate one that is located up in Maine.

Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember that a valid email address is required to be submitted along with the creation of an entry name, in order for your marker to meet the minimum requirements for approval. Providing your email address in the space provided allows for verification if you decide to contact us for a request to either modify or delete your marker sometime in the future. Your email address will not be visible to the public if you enter it in the designated space provided. If you would like your email address to be visible to others, you can also add it in the "Dune Buggy Description or Business Details" block under the "Details" tab.

For instance, if you decide at a later date that you would like to have a photo or YouTube video added to your marker, you can send updated information/photos/links to [email protected], but the request must come from the email address that you originally listed in your marker.

There have been just a few entries that have either been deleted or not approved based on missing email addresses. If your marker is or one of those affected, please just resubmit your information for approval, thanks.

Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I'm in...Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yessong,

Thanks for your submission. I just happened to be here at my computer, so I was able to update your marker for public viewing. I was not able to get the YouTube video to play; I got a notification that "The video that you requested is not available" and that was even after I chose to view the video directly through YouTube.

If you want, you can send me a link to your video in a PM, and I will make sure that your marker gets quickly updated, thanks again.

sockles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome! Thanks for doing this. I added myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to add another category/marker color to the map; light blue markers designate air cooled VW parts dealers. Examples can be seen for Fisher Buggies in Tampa and Triangle Auto Parts in Winter Park, FL.

Other marker colors are set as follows: fiberglass dune buggy owners (red markers), buggy body or chassis manufacturers (yellow markers), dune buggy builders (blue markers), or an air cooled VW repair shops (green markers).

lbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Added mine today. Thanks for setting it up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added mine!

Cool resource for traveling.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned this option earlier; one cool feature of the new Fiberglass Dune Buggy Owner Locator Map is the ability to see a current list of all of the markers. If you click on View on the top Menu Bar and choose List from the drop down options, an up-to-date list should pop up on the right hand side of the map, showing a numbered list of all active markers. This same list can be viewed by clicking on the double arrows (pointing to the left) that are located in the upper right hand corner of the map itself.

Each marker is temporarily assigned a number in the list, and that same number is transposed onto the corresponding marker on the map. If you click on the list line item, the Details bubble will appear on the map over the assigned marker. I am assuming that these assigned numbers are temporary, since they do not appear to be associated with the chronological order of the addition of each marker, but they are listed in alphabetical order based on the Dune Buggy Name or Business Name. If you want to return to the view of the map without the list being visible, just click on the double arrows (pointing to the right) that are located in the upper right hand corner of the list itself.

FarmerJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Stuff
I Think I entered all info correctly Laughing
unclespanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In !!!!
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary, I hope you don't mind... I forwarded your map and instruction to the Buggy Quebec Club. There are 71 members in the group. You may be getting some more entries from North of the border.
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vincent,

Heck no, I don't mind at all, in fact I appreciate the fact that you passed the map on to others. I did have one member from Canada, though, that kept submitting a request for a marker without including a valid email address. I tried to find his name on thesamba.com, but no luck. After a few attempts on his part, he finally included a valid email address. I just wrote him to tell him what the hold up was, and that his marker is now active on the map.

If you get a chance, please make sure to also forward information along that a valid email address is required. Entering your email address in the space provided allows for verification if you decide to contact us for a request to either modify or delete your marker sometime in the future. Your email address will not be visible to the public if you enter it in the designated space provided. If you would like your email address to be visible to others, you can also add it in the "Dune Buggy Description or Business Details" block under the "Details" tab.

There is one guy in eastern Europe that tried to submit a marker request this morning (he listed his dune buggy as a Meyers Manx 2), and unfortunately I had to deny his request because an email address was not included. Hopefully he will read this and resubmit his information.

Thanks again, Vincent, hopefully I will see you in your travels during 2012.

Roys_Big_Toys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure would be nice if someone could move this link to the top of the page and wouldn't keep slipping "out of sight"

http://www.zeemaps.com/297983
Original Meyers Manx
Berrien LKD Warrior Ecotec 2.2 w/ Bus 091 Trans
Original 2 sided Meyers Manx Dealership sign
Meyers Manx Surf Board #1 0f #100
Custom Meyers Manx Cornhole game
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy,

Last night, I sent a Private Message to Ian, asking if it would be possible to move this thread up into the Sticky section and use it to replace the older thread that refers to a fiberglass dune buggy owners map. That thread contains a link to a map that no longer seemed to be in existance. Still waiting to hear back from Ian, but I do want to thank everyone that has participated so far; keep em' coming.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: