Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Factory Jack
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Factory Jack Reply with quote

In planning for my cross country trip in my bus I have been testing my equipment. This is my question: When I put the factory jack in the jackpoint it does not stand completely parallel to the side of the bus, instead it is angled so that the bottom of the jack is somewhat closer to the bus, Is This Normal? Do I have the wrong jack (from a beetle or something)? It doesn't look right/safe. If the following brackets represent my bus the comma is the jack angled inward--> [], that's what it looks like.

Thanks, John
bugster1226
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Factory Jack Reply with quote

I have a 70 bus and the jack looks just like yours. It works very good. I think the reason it leans inward is when you jack the bus up, the jacking receptical tilts to the horizontal position???
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Factory Jack Reply with quote

Yep mine did the same thing. I say did, because I once used it without blocking the wheels and the Bus began to roll forward as I lowered it. Luckily I had already put the tire back on. It twisted the jack but thankfully didn't tweak the jack port on the Bus. USE WHEEL BLOCKS! This was also on a level concrete driveway. If you go here about one quarter down the page http://busdepot.com/asp/ResultsSpecials.asp?VehCod=C&B1=Search they sell a genuine VW scissor jack that is more stable. That is if your bus is a '72-'79 I just got mine and looks like it will work much better than the stock jack.

Jasan C.
'78 Westy
Portland OR.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Factory Jack Reply with quote

The stock jack, the early ratchet style or the later wind-up style, although both made by Bilstein are not safe to use.

I bought the same BD scissor jack about a year ago: very sturdy, very handy. It's a great deal. I usually put a large block of wood under it to get it started because it takes a while to wind it up to height and has a limited reach like any other jack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Factory Jack Reply with quote

I had the same problem with our original jack too. Did not stand straight up. It kinda freaked me out. Well needless to say while jacking her up one day, the weld that held that bar that goes into the jack point failed and popped. The circular piece (once welded) began to split the higher I jacked her up. Luckily I had not taken the wheel off and I brought her down safely and pitched that thing. Bought one of the scissor kind and like it alot better! Much safer.

Paul
'78 Westy
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Factory Jack Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the info. I was getting a little worried that I had the wrong jack in my bus, but instead it appears that I have a poorly made/designed original jack. Thanks again, John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: