Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering gear box leak/repair
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: steering gear box leak/repair Reply with quote

73 Thing. I checked the lube in my steering gear box= dry. Added 90w gear oil which is now leaking (handily) apparently from the area where the roller steering shaft (in the gear box) connects to the steering drop arm. My Thing parts book says there is a "seal" at this connection (311 415 297 VW pn). I assume that this seal is the problem. Any one got a fix? Can you get the seal and what's involved in replacing it. What if I just foreget about it? Can the seal be replaced with pulling the engine, redoing the brakes and having the car repainted? Laughing
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it can... if you can find the seal available.

That's why I was saying use the lubriplate 105... I've used it for many years on old boxes and never had a problem lub wise... although on hot summer days it will drip a little "juice" when the stuff gets warm.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86441&highlight=box
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kief: I picked up some Lucas leak stop for PS units but haven't tried it. If I siphoned the 90w out and put in Lubricplate 105, do you have any feeling that might get me around fighting with the seal (if I could get it)? Confused
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I'm not for sure if 90 wt was what really is supposed to be in the steering box. I always assumed it was a grease ( judging by a few I took the top off to see what was inside during my formative experimental years! Laughing

I do not think that powerrsteering stop leak is gonna do much ( but run right out) myself... but I have never tried it so go ahead and proceed.

you could just use compressed air and cover the top with rags and remove both plugs and shoot the air through one hole with a rubber tipped blower and force the oil out that way. then try the lubriplate.

I have always managed to get between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tube into the box ( by adding it slowly and tapping the box with a hammer and waitng for it to settle) and they keep on truckin and get real smooth.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put about 1/2 cup of Lucas PS leak stop in last night. Seems to have slowed the leak. Will check again in the morning. I will continue to add it until either its all gone or the leak stops! Can't hurt!. We'll see. Razz
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the seal is available at a seal and bearing shop. you have to take the box apart to replace it, but the seal is pretty standard.

when i restored my thing i rebuilt the box, replacing both of the seals, and i got them from a bearing shop for a few bucks each. i just took them to the shop and they matched them up. not sure if the metric sizes are a problme stateside, we are metric in canada. the little plastic plugs in the top cover are still available from the dealer.
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott and others: Used the Lucas PS Leak Stop. After two days....no leakage! Now may not last but I didn't have to tear the steering gear box down. This stuff is amazing. Used it on my wife's Buick PS and had the same results.If the leak returns, I'll just add a bit more. Smile
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yeah, the thick red shit... I diddn't catch the lucas in the first post... I thought maybe you put some thinner power steering fluid type leak stuff in.
That shoud do it! Very Happy
I have had great success with Lucas products in my daily commuter and pickup and air cooled rides...
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where can this lucas stuff go. Do they make it for the engine or the transaxle?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of the chain auto parts stores are starting to carry it. So you can check local... in the mean time.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=lucas+oil
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can it be used in the engine, trans, gear reduction boxes, just about anywhere? MayberI should ask where shouldn't I use it.
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky: Lucas may make additives for engine and trans, I don't know. However what I used in my steering gear box is Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak, from my local CarQuest dealer. As you can see it is actually for PS units. But it stopped the hemorage in my steering gear. try their web site www.LucasOil.com
radioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky: BTW: my steering gear box has begun to leak again....very slightly. Am going to try another shot of Lucas and follow that with topping off the gear box every three months when I change oil. I should replace the box but really don't want to tackle that job. Therefore, I will add fluid as needed and wipe up her leaks Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: