Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2332 rod length
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veedubnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: 2332 rod length Reply with quote

OK engine builders here's a question for you: what length rod would you use on a 2332? 5.5? 5.6? 5.7? The reason I'm asking is that I notice in a lot of threads when setting deck height there are spacers under cylinders and copper shims on top of cylinders to get you where you want. I also notice that CB sells an aluminum case with 3 different raised decks cast in: 3.5., 7.0 and 9.5 along with standard. Wouldn't it be better to use the longest rod possible and machine down the case deck to get the deck height you want with no added spacers or shims? I don't know the math to figure this out... Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a high revving motor making all kinds of hp up top, then use a longer rod- 5.5" or 5.6". The motor will be getting really wide; this may cause problems getting it into an earlier car. For something that revs to 6500 rpms max and makes all sorts of torque for the street, I would stay with a 137mm (5.4") rod. The motor will just be a little bit wider than stock and have a ton of bottom end/midrange grunt! Twisted Evil
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I talked to Pat at CB about which case to get, he said to use the 3.5mm deck case with a .020 shim to get .040 deck height. I'm running 5.5" rods on both my 2332s

brad
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.5 or longer.
veedubnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.5 cast in deck with an .020 shim...see that's my point. Wouldn't it be better to get a 7mm deck case then machine it down to get your desired deck height and therefore not use any shims or spacers? Is it a cost thing? Is it just easier to utilize the shims and spacers and leave the case deck alone? Am I overthinking this again????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm saying is (using your numbers) a 3.5mm case deck using a 5.5 inch rod gives a deck height of .020. Adding the .020 shim under the head gives .040 deck height. So if you opt for the 7.0mm case deck, machine it down .117, wouldn't you still end up really close to .040 deck height with no spacers or shims?
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine I am using 5.5" H-beam rods.

I am using an mag case along with Revmaster long cylinders machined to my measurement (+0.175"). They will make it so that I do not have any shims under the cylinder and the copper shim under the head is used to set a tight deck height.

With my Tims heads max'd out in chamber size I will have to have the pistons notched to achieve the compression ratio I am looking for.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: rod length Reply with quote

One of the issues to keep in mind when deciding on rod length for a 2332 cc is the distance that the piston skirt will "protrude" from the bottom of the cylinder sleeve inside the case (ie. at the bottom of the stroke).

On my OEM mag case with 5.5" rods, the Mahle piston skirt comes out the bottom of the cylinder just a bit (~5 mm on the long part of the skirt), in the area where the case is clearancing for the rods. The rest of the piston (short part of the piston skirt) does not protrude at all.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veedubnut wrote:
What I'm saying is (using your numbers) a 3.5mm case deck using a 5.5 inch rod gives a deck height of .020. Adding the .020 shim under the head gives .040 deck height. So if you opt for the 7.0mm case deck, machine it down .117, wouldn't you still end up really close to .040 deck height with no spacers or shims?

The only machine shop I trust in town has a labour rate of $150 per hour, so it comes down to $30 for a set of shims or 1.5 hours of machine work.

brad
veedubnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
If this is a high revving motor making all kinds of hp up top, then use a longer rod- 5.5" or 5.6". The motor will be getting really wide; this may cause problems getting it into an earlier car. For something that revs to 6500 rpms max and makes all sorts of torque for the street, I would stay with a 137mm (5.4") rod. The motor will just be a little bit wider than stock and have a ton of bottom end/midrange grunt! Twisted Evil

With the shorter 5.4 rod making gobs of torque and low end power, will I be sacrificing mid range and top end power? I kind of understand rod ratio and the higher the ratio the higher up the rpm range your power band will be. Would it be safe to say then that maybe the 5.5s are a good "in the middle of things" choice? I mean get decent low end grunt but still deliver all the way to say a 6500 - 6800 rpm redline?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.5s have their own share of problems specifically making the tin and exhaust fit.

You have to take ALL things into consideration when deciding on engine components. This is why the 5.5/78mm is a great combo for a bus.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.4 making gobs of torque and low end power,thats funny.it is amazing that a 5.5 rod will even be able to keep the motor running below 7ooo rpm.hmm wonder what length rod is a gobstoper? hey I got an idear!!! one of you computer wizzes can do a simulation on one of those engine programs and compair the exzact same engine with about 4 different length rods!!!! we might just find the gobstoper!!!I have the program but havent seen it in years.and yes they are very close if you put in the correct data.
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.325 engine will be same width as stock.
veedubnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ok let's stay on track here. All armchair humor aside, I think I am asking legitimate questions here. I'm just trying to learn enough to be comfortable in selecting the right parts for what I want out of the engine when the time comes. I'm trying to learn what works and what doesn't but more importantly why. Knowledge is useless without understanding it. Most of us don't have the luxury to try multiple combinations of parts to achieve what we want, we have to make an educated decision, stick with it, and hope for the best outcome. And anyways, gobstoppers are nothing but sugar and bad for your teeth!
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just saying i used the 5.325 rods in my 2332.

Benifits-

1.All the tin fits, it will fit in a old bug easy, because it's actually ends up being a little narrower.

2. Tons of torque, the short rods work the ports hard, keeping velocity up, and the torque down low.

Disadvantages-

1 Rods that short are hard to find in a chevy journal especially

2. you need a good flowing head to make much HP

3. engine cylinders will not have the same life, but most people are not driving a 2332 everyday any way.

4. you have to use a slipper skirt piston.

My 2332 you can start in third gear and run it out to100 mph, pretty wide power band.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you planning on using this motor and what is it going into?

If didn't want to spend the money on a short rod, go with the 5.5
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
5.5s have their own share of problems specifically making the tin and exhaust fit.

Exactly.

Do not get in a hurry building it and it will be fine.
Take one problem at a time and do it right.

Oh and mine is going to be a daily driver.
Twisted Evil
veedubnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will be a daily driver also, will be going in a Ghia. Won't be taking it cross-country but it will see trips down the freeways for a few hours at a stretch. Most driving in town is 40-50 mph and average freeway cruising is 70-80 mph. I want the teeth to chew the ass off all the retired Corvette owners, redneck 5.0 owners, and G-boy ricers but still get an average of 20 mpg if I stay out of it. Seriously considering the Porsche 914 5 speed transaxle conversion for my gearbox. I have an excellant photo'd how-to on that and my metal skills ain't too shabby, pretty sure I can pull it off correctly. I want to install 930 CV joints, stub axles, etc. for strength and longevity in the rearend too. Disc brakes, fat anti-roll bars, good Koni's, dry sump oiling, etc. I want to set it up to kick ass but last.
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run the 5.4 rods, Cb wedge port heads, Fk-8 cam.

1-5/8 exhaust. car will run low 13's easy.
veedubnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was gonna run an 86C, Steve Tims stage 2's, 5.4 rods, 1 3/4 merged exhaust, 48 IDFs, 1.4:1 rockers...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: