Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

unusual roof rack
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjwinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: unusual roof rack Reply with quote

can anyone identify this rack, it has suction cups on the bottom and resembles other racks that I have come across that were sold at sears. I was told that this rack was originally on an oval. If anyone can identify, please let me know. thanks
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/kj57bus/?action=view&current=woodrack024.jpg

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ- If you bought that rack locally in TF/Jerome- I used to own it. It rode around on my various 1963 bugs from 1986 when I bought it at a garage sale here in Boise until I traded it away a couple years ago. The garage sale seller was a neighbor- and they had a 60s bug. The rack was supposedly made for Karmann Ghias- but during the time I owned it- I never fitted it on one. As you know, the clamp profile around a bug's driprails is not correct. The rubbing on the front straps was due to me running it on the wrong car for so many years.

I visited Bill Derricx(sp) at Wolfsburg Warehouse many years ago- and he had one for sale hanging in the shop- that is where I learned it's KG fitment. He asked $300 back then- and I felt halfway between my $5 and his $300 was more realistic. It appears to be a standard, JC-Whitney type american knock down roof rack kit- but I always like the look on my bug(s).

I never researched beyond that- but if anyone has a 50s 60s Monkey Ward, Sears or Western Auto catalog- I'll bet it shows up. I'll update this thread if I learn any more info.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
kjwinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks that is helpful, if you find any more information please let me know. I ended up with this rack through a trade and I had never seen anything like it before. I am sure this is your old rack as it came out of a Jerome garage sale about three years ago, it spent a little time on a rat rod and has been hanging in my garage ever since. it is a very unusual rack!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: