Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another 1.8T hits the road !!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed. I like yer solution to raiseing the deck lid! Very sleek my friend!
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
insyncro

Are pricing and options listed anywhere?

This conversion is really growing on me and I am nowhere near Cali.

We have completed a production run of 1.8T engine mounting carriers. There will be a classified add real soon. I promise. At this time were only provide the engine carriers and will soon have this same exhaust system to match it. Pricing will be $950 for the carriers.

Quote:
hans j

There is a 06A factory steel pan available too! I don't remember the part number but I think it is usually on 2.0. That's what I am going to do on my TDI conversion so it can take abuse if I am unlucky enough!

Yeah I have that pan on the Single Cab . It's just about the same depth of the aluminum pan. And it requires a different oil pickup tube and turbo oil return line. I would just recommended a custom skid plate if your gonna take it offroad. If this was a Syncro van there would be no loss of ground clearance.

Quote:
Crankey

that looks very nice in there. great work.
I too am leaning more this way.
is there any reason it couldn't be mounted 'upright' without any tilt from it's original orientation in a doka, ?
I have 9 5/8" from the top of my WBX alternator to the bottom of the engine hatch.
I'm nearly 100% street driven so I don't need higher than stock ground clearance. someday I may get shorter springs, but I'm on carat springs now.

thanks for sharing your pics ! drool worthy !

This engine loves Doka's and Sinka's ! It's mounted at 15 degrees,because that's how it was designed to run. If your mostly street driven you will be fine.

Quote:
dredward

YAY!!!!! Is this yer van Paul?

No, I built this one for my Dad. It sure puts a smile on his face. Very Happy
---------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"88' 2wd Westy(1.8T coming soon) "
Must be the one you were driveing when i spotted you in Santa Cruz. Are you still gona swap it too? Good job Paul!!!!
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everybody!

Quote:
Vanagon Nut

Quote:
Great stuff!

Looks like the cat is supported off d-side of block. I have been using something similar.

Is the muffler supported from body? I imagine the turbo must quell some exhaust noise.

Interesting to have a look at another 15º install. I'm currently in the middle of carrier and exhaust redesign and am still making decisions. Very helpful to see your pics.

Thanks!

Neil.

The cat is bolted to the block with a vibration mount in between. The muffler is supported by the frame with 2 vibration mounts. It works great and sounds so good!

Quote:
Tristar Eric

Quote:
Excellence! I really like your lid spacer. I might have to borrow your idea there. Super clean, congrats on the BAR sticker.

Thanks Eric ! California likes this motor ! Very Happy VW Logo Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dredward

Must be the one you were driveing when i spotted you in Santa Cruz. Are you still gona swap it too? Good job Paul!!!!

Yeah,that one is next. The engine is already on the stand getting prepped. It's gonna be a badass 88' 2wd Westy Lifted 1.8T Prerunner. Cool
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWhead wrote:
Quote:
dredward

Yeah,that one is next. The engine is already on the stand getting prepped. It's gonna be a badass 88' 2wd Westy Lifted 1.8T Prerunner. Cool

SWEET!!!
I can't wait to have the bread to do my other syncro!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Just completed a 1.8T engine conversion into a 85' Vanagon and it's all California legal !

Yes! VWHEAD is bringing Power to the People!

that motor rocks!

I was really impressed how smooth it is too, when I got a ride in your Sinka

he did show and tell at our recent Lost Burritos meetup and I snapped a couple pics of the freshly powdercoated engine carrier bars. I also like the way the lid is hinged and spaced.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWhead wrote:
Thanks again everybody!

Quote:
Vanagon Nut

Quote:
Great stuff!

Looks like the cat is supported off d-side of block. I have been using something similar.

Is the muffler supported from body? I imagine the turbo must quell some exhaust noise.

The cat is bolted to the block with a vibration mount in between. The muffler is supported by the frame with 2 vibration mounts. It works great and sounds so good!

Quote:
Tristar Eric

Quote:
Excellence! I really like your lid spacer. I might have to borrow your idea there. Super clean, congrats on the BAR sticker.

Thanks Eric ! California likes this motor ! Very Happy VW Logo Very Happy

And yes. Congrats on BAR. Being from B.C. Canada, not familiar with CARB but do know it is a major accomplishment to get a swap approved.

Thanks for exhaust details. Great to see the pics. Any close ups of engine mounts and carriers?

Neil.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this is a dumb question, but has anyone experienced early failure of the alt/ps/ac belt due to it being so close to the cat and exhaust ?

is there more room side to side and front to back in a doka ?

also, these coil packs, do you buy them as individuals or a set of 4 ? if one fails I just wonder if you swap one out or the set. sorry I know very little about them.

I remember a little while back the bostig guys saying they had simplified the coolant plumbing alot more, so this also being an inline 4 I'm interested in how much plumbing you have been able to eliminate. it's not really a dealbreaker issue, I much prefer a VW power plant. but I'm still curious how/where things go.

no idea when my wbx will give up. but whenever I see this I think about collecting parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a short youtube video of the engine installed and running. You can see how the deck lid spacer works. The exhaust sounds a lot deeper in person. Enjoy!

Link

VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jon_slider

> Just completed a 1.8T engine conversion into a 85' Vanagon and it's all California legal !

Yes! VWHEAD is bringing Power to the People!

that motor rocks!

I was really impressed how smooth it is too, when I got a ride in your Sinka

he did show and tell at our recent Lost Burritos meetup and I snapped a couple pics of the freshly powdercoated engine carrier bars. I also like the way the lid is hinged and spaced.

Kind words. Thanks Jon!
Just trying to help out the Vanagon Community. I know there is a lot folks interested in real VW power.
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put some struts on there and you have a hoodie!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one appealing setup VWhead! Cool
Do you what kind of mileage the van is getting now?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Munz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:

would love to know that also. so the carrier is 950, how much are the 1.8T engines themselves?
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More details for the installation please.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all due respect, I dont think any conversion has a relevant gas mileage advantage.

imvho, the relevant distinctions are horsepower and torque specs, and I believe the 1.8T has more of both than any other California legal gasoline motor conversion for Vanagon.

Having had a 2.2 Subaru, I would not do it again. It gets no better gas mileage than a 1.8T, but makes significantly less power.

To put it another way, the 1.8T uses no more gasoline than the 2.2 Subaru, per mile, but the 1.8T makes a lot more power from that fuel.

The efficiency advantage of the 1.8T is not seen in mpg increase, it is seen in performance.. you accelerate faster, and you get more torque, so you can stay in 4th gear going up hills that the subaru has to use 3rd gear on..

hope that helps

cant say enough good about the 1.8T option in Cali

with gratitude to samba member and 1.8T pioneer, beetsport for blazing the trail with the CARB smog gods

Last edited by Jon_slider on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:

also, these coil packs, do you buy them as individuals or a set of 4 ? if one fails I just wonder if you swap one out or the set. sorry I know very little about them.

Coil packs can be switched one-at-a-time. I went to the dealer recently to get a replacement for my wife's Passat. Ended up with 4 new ones for free (Manufacturer warranty); and on a 10-year old car. Replaced them all in the dealer lot in less than two minutes (they needed the old for the warranty).

1.8T engine is my favorite engine, bar none, even over 5-cyl diesel. I have two (both in cars though). Great choice.

RonC
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jon_slider"
Or to put it another way, the 1.8T uses no more gasoline than the 2.2 Subaru, per mile, but the 1.8T makes a lot more power from that fuel. The efficiency advantage of the 1.8T is not seen in mpg increase, it is seen in performance.. you accelerate faster, and you get more torque..[/quote]

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. If it got worse MPG than the stock motor then I probably wouldn't be interested. If it gets about the same and delivers improved performance - then we're talkin'!
My WBX is running perfectly fine so I'm not in the market any time soon (I hope!) but on longer trips the poor mileage is getting annoying.
I knew a syncro would be worse than my 2wd but I was used to the performance of my 1.8L conversion, which seems to be noticeably better than the WBX.
All said, I think I could live with the same MPG and getting all that extra power! Cool

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vanagon Nut

Quote:
Thanks for exhaust details. Great to see the pics. Any close ups of engine mounts and carriers?

Neil.

Here you go Neil
This is how it works.

Quote:
Crankey

Quote:
maybe this is a dumb question, but has anyone experienced early failure of the alt/ps/ac belt due to it being so close to the cat and exhaust ?

is there more room side to side and front to back in a doka ?

I remember a little while back the bostig guys saying they had simplified the coolant plumbing alot more, so this also being an inline 4 I'm interested in how much plumbing you have been able to eliminate. it's not really a dealbreaker issue, I much prefer a VW power plant. but I'm still curious how/where things go.

no idea when my wbx will give up. but whenever I see this I think about collecting parts.

Thanks for your interest,Ill try to answer some of your questions.

No, the belt does not break. temperature is just fine.

Doka's are just like Vanagon's,but there is more room above the engine. No raised deck lid needed on Doka's and Sinka's.

They are not coil packs,they are coils. They can be purchased separately. All conversions receive brand new OE coils.

I believe there is less hoses than a waterboxer. I don't work on Bostig's, so I can't answer your question.

Quote:
fairweather

Quote:
Put some struts on there and you have a hoodie!

Yeah that's a good idea.Looks like it sure holds the mattress up and out of the way.

Quote:
photogdave

Quote:

Mileage is an average of 20 mpg. With normal driving on the freeway and a lite foot you could expect to see higher numbers. If you were to drive it real hard and in the chipped mode(stage1) you could expect about 18 mpg. I'm gonna say 18 to 22 mpg depending on driving habits.

Quote:
The Munz

Quote:
would love to know that also. so the carrier is 950, how much are the 1.8T engines themselves?

Last time I checked AWP 1.8T long blocks were $3500.00.Keep in mind you still would need a donor car for all the other parts to complete the conversion.

Last edited by VWhead on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWhead wrote:

That's a sexy undercarriage.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: