Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PDX white Westies
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: PDX white Westies Reply with quote

I just got back from my first visit to Portland. I was there for 4 days and I saw 4 beautiful, well maintained Westies - and all 4 of them were white! It got me thinking about regional colour bias. Is there any reason that a particular area might have a colour preference? (or was it just a coincidence)
Where I live, I don't see too many white ones.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: PDX white Westies Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
I just got back from my first visit to Portland. I was there for 4 days and I saw 4 beautiful, well maintained Westies - and all 4 of them were white! It got me thinking about regional colour bias. Is there any reason that a particular area might have a colour preference? (or was it just a coincidence)
Where I live, I don't see too many white ones.
In our PDX Westravaganza group, there are a large number of white Westfalia's, including mine. My current and last Westfalia were white. I don't think it is a regional bias, I tend to just buy the nicest ones I can find locally. My favorite colors are the Burgandy and Blue, but I never seem to be able to find them when I am looking for them.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: PDX white Westies Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
My favorite colors are the Burgandy and Blue, but I never seem to be able to find them when I am looking for them.

Interesting. Lots of Burgundy and Blue Westies here in Montreal. Mine is Burgundy.
I had a great time in PDX by the way. Great beer and Voodoo Donuts are amazing! (mmm, maple and bacon donuts)
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dove blue and white seem to be most common colors.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankenSubySyncro wrote:

Not here, both very uncommon.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about color and geography but we don't like any other color than blue and white. We have an orly blue and a white.

the color we like the least is pumkin orange...oohhh...
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
I don't know about color and geography but we don't like any other color than blue and white. We have an orly blue and a white.

the color we like the least is pumkin orange...oohhh...

Yeah, I agree. The pumkin Orange color is pretty bad ,but the Aswan Brown is awfully buuuuuuuuuuuu-ti-full Laughing
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just happen to see white.there's just alot of diiferent colors here,because there's just alot of vans here
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
FrankenSubySyncro wrote:

Not here, both very uncommon.

X2

RonC
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White is the most common color for all cars. I guess most people like the fact that it is easy to clean and cooler in the summer. It doesn't matter where you live.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ricebowl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the SF Bay area I see a lot of late 80's/90's blue and maroon Westy's (mine's white) and I've only seen one forest green one. I'm guessing its a custom job, but its very nice.

I didnt choose either of the two Westy's I've owned because of their color, but they both happened to be white and I'm very pleased about that. One, because of interior heat during the summer, and two, because I've never liked the way the pop tops fade on the blue and maroon ones. Just an opinion, please dont get mad if you have a blue or maroon van, I love them too, I just love my white one a little more. Laughing
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
White is the most common color for all cars. I guess most people like the fact that it is easy to clean and cooler in the summer. It doesn't matter where you live.

Not here. You nailed it there..."cooler in the summer". We don't need that here that much. The hot summer here is one weekend, if we are lucky. But in the winter we need dark colours for heat. Wink

Folklore is (I don't believe it) that white cars rust more here, because they stay wet all the time.

Easy to clean maybe, but not when it is below zero, and white looks like crap in the dirty salty winter here. Like Perales said, white is very uncommon. I go to Texas, all the big pickups are white. You never see a white pickup here, unless it is a guy from Alberta (our Texas).

RonC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: