Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need feeback of Go Westy 16's on a stock syncro westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Need feeback of Go Westy 16's on a stock syncro westy Reply with quote

(Sorry for starting yet another wheel thread, but felt this one was specific enough, so.... Mods feel free to toss it in the bit bucket if you feel this is redundant.)

Would love to hear any real world experiences from those running Go Westy's 16" 8-hole alloys w/ BFGs ala these:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4303&category_id=370&category_parent_id=

From Go Westy's site:
Quote:

Either size will fit the Syncro model. However, if you have a standard final drive (ring and pinion) ratio of 4.86:1, we do not recommend the 225/70 size, as it will raise the overall gear ratio too much. The larger 225/70 size should only be used with a final drive ratio of 5.43:1 or lower.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the 215/16 package, but anybody out there running the 225/16 package AND stock gearing?
Just wondering how miserable life would be if I went with 225s?

If it helps with your reply, my particulars:
- syncro, full westy
- stock springs
- currently running factory alloys with BFG 27x8.50R14; the two GW offerings are fairly close so I don't predict any new/additional rubbing issues.
- I don't do any extreme off-roading so my suspension travel is never maxed out. Gravel roads on occasion, rougher dirt roads once in a blue moon.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 225/70/16 tires on Mefro steel rims. So the offset may make a difference for fitment issues.
I will speak only on driving based things that would be similar.

I LOVED the gearing change. I think it's an IMPROVEMENT. 3rd gear becomes a great cruising gear with 4th as more of an overdrive. If you're on the highway and hit a big hill, downshifting to 3rd allows you to maintain power. Without the big tires, you'd stay in 4th and just loose power.
The handling is great and the look is the best i can ask for.
I have Audi Big brakes, which I think are very necessary with any big wheel/tire combo and they stop the car better than stock with stock wheels.

Keep in mind there may be some additional wear on all systems by having the bigger/heavier combos.
My engine turned into a 3 cylinder 500 miles after I started running these....
To be fair, it was an engine of unknown condition that had just sat for 13 years.... so i can't really attribute it to the wheels/tires.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> currently running factory alloys with BFG 27x8.50R14;

that tire is 5% larger than stock, and makes your gearing that much taller, 5%

> the two GW offerings are fairly close

they are significantly taller than your current gearing, you will be using 3rd gear a lot more on hills than you do now.. That means on the freeway you will risk being passed by semi trucks.. seriously.

Yes, Im biased against tall gearing and weak motor combinations in heavy Vans, such as syncro westies. It might help to know if Phishman068 drives a syncro westy, or just a 2wd hardtop?

the 215x70x16 is 10% taller than stock, that is usually the limit of what people tolerate in terms of gearing performance loss, in order to gain some ground clearance

the 225x70x16 is 12% taller than stock
a 5.43 ring and pinion is 12% shorter than a stock 4.86

that is why GoWesty is telling not to do the 225 with your 4.86. Listen to GoWesty, they know what they are talking about.

I believe stock gearing is best, especially with a stock motor, and even more especially if you drive in mountains, or above 5000 feet

You are already at the biggest tire you can fit in the stock spare clamshell, have you thought about where you will put your spare wheel, if you go to 16" rims?
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

215 and Mefro's, stock gearing with Sub 2.5L. I noticed a changed at high-altitude (10K plus) here in Colorado. But a recent trip to Texas I was able to pull 75 mph (speed limit) very comfortably up to 4-5,000 ft ele.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stock waterboxer 95 horsepower
subaru 2.5L 165 horsepower

in gas motors torque numbers are almost identical to horsepower numbers

so the 2.5 Subaru has 73% more power than the 2.1 Waterboxer

the 215 tires cost 10%, so the subaru 2.5 with 215 tires has 63% more power than a stock waterboxer with stock tires.

but the stock waterboxer also loses 10% with the bigger tires, so it ends up at 85 horsepower, while the subaru is kicking it with 155 ponies

each 1000 feet of altitude costs 3.5%, so at 5000 feet, you lose 17.5% of your power, and at 10000 feet you lose 35%

so a 2.5 subie at 10000 feet with 215x70x16 tires is handicapped by 45%, putting it at about 91 horsepower.. weaker than a stock waterboxer at sea level, on stock tires..

the OP has a stock motor, I think the 215x70x16 is a bad idea, and the 225 even worse
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an '87 sunroof syncro with a full westy interior and constantly fully loaded. It weights at least what a westy weights.
Factory engine.
As I said, I substantially prefered the gearing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
> currently running factory alloys with BFG 27x8.50R14;

that tire is 5% larger than stock, and makes your gearing that much taller, 5%

> the two GW offerings are fairly close

they are significantly taller than your current gearing, you will be using 3rd gear a lot more on hills than you do now.. That means on the freeway you will risk being passed by semi trucks.. seriously.

Yes, Im biased against tall gearing and weak motor combinations in heavy Vans, such as syncro westies. It might help to know if Phishman068 drives a syncro westy, or just a 2wd hardtop?

the 215x70x16 is 10% taller than stock, that is usually the limit of what people tolerate in terms of gearing performance loss, in order to gain some ground clearance

the 225x70x16 is 12% taller than stock
a 5.43 ring and pinion is 12% shorter than a stock 4.86

that is why GoWesty is telling not to do the 225 with your 4.86. Listen to GoWesty, they know what they are talking about.

I believe stock gearing is best, especially with a stock motor, and even more especially if you drive in mountains, or above 5000 feet

Very useful info; thanks for posting the input.

Jon_slider wrote:

You are already at the biggest tire you can fit in the stock spare clamshell, have you thought about where you will put your spare wheel, if you go to 16" rims?

Yep... rear tire carrier.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
.. and at 10000 feet you lose 35%

Yep.. Don't underestimate the impact altitude has on engine peformance.

But, FWIW, I drove up to 11,000ft+, last summer, in a fully loaded Westy with a weary old 2.1WBXer turning 29" tires 225r75/16.

I was down to 1st gear, but made it to my destination on graded gravel roads without trying very hard.

Ya know they once drove Model A's over many most of these roads.. So we need to keep things in perspective.

I would not have been able to crawl out of a ditch at that altitude, however. Nor would I have been able to crawl over much in the way of rocks and deep ruts. I gave it a try just to see what the limits are. I found my limits!

A hand or power winch would be your/my best friend at higher altitudes.

I can not in good faith, recommend my tire size with stock gearing, to just anyone. You have to be "willing".
With a Syncro granny gear, however, you have a little more to work with than I do with my stock 2WD 1st. You lose some because of the VC working.. but all the same.. a granny gear would keep you moving where I would be stalled.

Just keep the "sky is faling" stuff in perspective. Bigger tires have some draw backs and they have some advantages. All in balance, ya know?

There are times when I have to play the clutch really hard to get the van up offroad grades at higher altitudes.

One big plus for these larger tires is all the ground clearance gained. REAL ground clearance.
So you lose some you gain some.

Persnonally, I'd stick to nearer stock sized tires, regardless the wheel size unless you like messing around with the details.

Wear-n-tear on drive train is just something you have to factor in regardless the mods you make. Your drive train has miles on it... and wear and tear exists, regardless. It just may be that you'll get to the rebuild point sooner if you start pushing toward the limits.

You should be budgeted for that stuff anyway.. and once a rebuild is done (properly) you should be good to go for several 10s of thousands of miles. Big tires or stock tires.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: