Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom Indicator Panel Insert
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Custom Indicator Panel Insert Reply with quote

I am interested in having a custom indicator panel insert made. I had been planning on having WestyKlaus do this, as per his classified (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=557972), but waited too long, and he is no longer producing these.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anyone know of another source that makes these in backlit film and vinyl, like the original versions? I would like a brake indicator symbol, and not the OXS nor Check Engine Light.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurking to follow this topic. Smile
Landsailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could start by talking to SmallCar. They have one of their own.

http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29781

I tried to have them do mine and I was not successful. The guy who know how to do it was out of town when I tried though. I assume they have the graphic art done and they have the virgin plastic, should be a no brainer to add what you want.

What I was able to do was to take the one that I had, scrape off the bottom third of the black material, and get a vinyl sticker made with an oil level and check engine light on it. I had to get and modify the graphics for the sticker, but that wasn't a big deal. The sticker went on fine. Looks perfect in the daytime and only very slightly dimmer at night. I will try to get a picture today, but it's frigid outside.

Total cost was around $10 (for graphic art and sticker charges).
Landsailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here is mine. It's not *exactly* perfect, but it's perfect enough for me.

No comments about the labelmaker speedo.
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sounds doable. I could probably just as easily do the whole insert at once. I think yours looks better than the Van Cafe version, but WestyKlaus' looked stock. He said he no longer had the media to make them: perhaps he can do the vinyl only.

Thanks for the ideas.
ipclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landsailer,
I have been thinking about how to integrate the Bostig MIL (malfunction indicator light) and the oil level warning light into my dash. What you have done is perfect. How did you do that?
I will comment on your speedo. Sometime you Americans will go metric like the rest of the world, and you can easily convert back to KM's/hr by removing the labels.
I have always wondered, do your other lights function as normal with the ZETEC?
Landsailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The installation is pretty hair raising. I intentionally didn't take pictures because I knew what was doing was sacrilege. I had to poke small holes in the flexible circuitry to thread the wires though after I installed the lights. But, I know a better way now. You disassemble the cluster and get the indicator light box off. Then you enlarge the existing bottom two holes for the lights. Or better yet, you buy your own that are smaller. Either way, you have to make sure your lights are very shallow. VERY SHALLOW. I disassembled the ones from Bostig and shortened them. If there are shallow enough, then you can put them in and thread the wires out the bottom of the box. You will have to drill two holes in the bottom of the box for that. Or one hole I guess. Then you don't need to poke holes in the membrane at all. Sometimes it takes doing something before you figure out how to do it right. Anyway, I tapped into the E-brake power and ran some wire to the lights I had hooked up. I put in an inline fuse as well. Both lights function as designed. All the other existing lights work as well.

Oh yeah, you might have to cut off the OXS light that is there on the membrane. I think the Canadian vans have the receptacle for the light, but no light itself. You will see it when you pull the membrane. What you could look for, if you were smarter than me, would be the connection for the OXS light in the connector for the instrument membrane. You could wire the MIL into that connection and use the existing OXS light (pending correct voltage and whatnot). There is a thread on here about replacing the LED's in that socket. That would be choice; better than mine anyway.

After reading what I have written, it's the worst explanation ever. Sorry. I hope you get what I was after.

Also, I prefer the metric system.
bquigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ipclark wrote:
Landsailer,
I have been thinking about how to integrate the Bostig MIL (malfunction indicator light) and the oil level warning light into my dash. What you have done is perfect. How did you do that?
I will comment on your speedo. Sometime you Americans will go metric like the rest of the world, and you can easily convert back to KM's/hr by removing the labels.
I have always wondered, do your other lights function as normal with the ZETEC?

As landsailer suggests the former OXS position can be used for the MIL or Oil level without changing anything. I connected the MIL wire to the ground wire (forget which color) on the OXS counter box plug under the van. The MIL works fine but faintly glows all the time, I think because of something in the counter box itself. Im looking to fix this by finding a way to ground this circuit closer to the actual LED. I have also been thinking of using the false LED spots below this lighted warning panel, clearly visible in landsailers photo. These are easily accessible from behind the dash for wiring the LEDs without messing with the foil. I suppose you could also cut out the center area and put some sort of a light behind it., i will probably use a sticker
Landsailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bquigs wrote:
As landsailer suggests the former OXS position can be used for the MIL or Oil level without changing anything. I connected the MIL wire to the ground wire (forget which color) on the OXS counter box plug under the van. The MIL works fine but faintly glows all the time, I think because of something in the counter box itself. Im looking to fix this by finding a way to ground this circuit closer to the actual LED. I have also been thinking of using the false LED spots below this lighted warning panel, clearly visible in landsailers photo. These are easily accessible from behind the dash for wiring the LEDs without messing with the foil. I suppose you could also cut out the center area and put some sort of a light behind it., i will probably use a sticker

Bostig actually mentions in one of their documents why the light can glow all the time. I can't recall now, but I remember it having to be a certain kind of bulb or something.

Also, I knew the OXS more elegant way was possible. Thank you for chiming in. I am not smart enough to figure that stuff out, so I brute forced it.

And the false LED area you mentioned was my first choice for these lights. Then I got stubborn and insisted on them being with the rest of the lights. There are regrets that I have now. This is one of them.
bquigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't regret it at all I like it. I wish I had the HC oil pan and its oil level warning light at the time and I would have gotten an indicator with both the check engine and oil level spots, i like that. Now it seams that these are harder to get, oh well. Im not too excited to take apart the cluster again anyway, seams like every time I do it breaks a little more!
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm planning on modifying mine to read "BRAKE" as i'm going to have to move the E brake light there, as the light is hidden by the steering wheel, too many times now i have driven off with the E brake, on Rolling Eyes

i plan on using some tiny stick on stencils, masking off the top two sections, scraping off the black on the bottom, using the stencils to read "BRAKE"
spray over with semi matt black paint, pick off the stencils and i should be good to go

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Landsailer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bquigs wrote:
Im not too excited to take apart the cluster again anyway, seams like every time I do it breaks a little more!

Couldn't agree with this more.

Also, if anyone is interested I can send you a pdf of the graphic used to make the bottom portion of my warning light cluster. PM me.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel version:

Direct link:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/mccavittj/warnlite-1.jpg

Click on the pic to view in fullscreen. Copy the photo & print on acetate.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any way you (original poster) can get a perfectly square photo of the one you want? The pic posted is at a bit of an angle. If you can do that I can reproduce it for your van. It needs to be like the scans in the last post of the diesel ones.

Thank you,

David
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken the diesel image and modified it to be more like what was requested by GreenMachineVW. (minus the lightning bolt through the engine). Can you work with this? I can convert it to an .eps image but I can't upload it to theSamba (file type not allowed). If you need an .eps file I can email it to you. I just don't have a plotter or I would do it myself. I use the same formats for my embroidery machine. I can also add the lightning strike if necessary.

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are awesome! I, however, was less clear in what I wanted (and am not quite yet sure). I have a 1983 Westy, EGR long gone, and was planning on using one of the indicators for hand brake on, the other for fluid low. rubbachicken was also talking about something similar, with letters instead of icons. I would want something like (P) on the left, and (!) on the right. I am also considering combining the two brake related indicators, and leave the sixth one for some other warning, with perhaps an exclamtion in a triangle, like the warning light. I am still in the 'wiring it up' stage, so I would be smartest to have the lights going before making the insert. However, that should not be too far down the road, so I will keep you updated!

Again, thanks so much for the help and ideas.
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can design these for you but don't have the time today. I'll try and post tomorrow for your approval.

1971 Super Beetle
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks for your ideas and help.

The Brake Icon seems to be the exclamation point, inside a full circle, inside two brake shoes, sort of like (O), with the exclamation point in the middle, like on the brake warning/fasten belt indicator. That would be in the bottom right. In the bottom left, would be either the parking brake icon (like the other, with a P in the center), or an icon like on the warning lamp (smaller triangle in a larger triangle).

Thanks!
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come up with two panel inserts based on your request. I have designed the universal brake light (park brake and low fluid combined) with the universal warning triangle and a panel with the park brake and low fluid brake light separated. I can have these made but if camerahunter can do the job it would likely be more cost effective since I have to go through a third party and I am in Canada.

Let me know what you think. I can make changes.
As I said before, I can supply a .eps file for camerahunter to work from if needed.

1971 Super Beetle
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No we are getting somewhere!

I hate to be a nitpicker, but I bet I am not the only one in this forum ... The triangle looks great. I think I prefer the brake/exclamtion icon to the lettered "BRAKE" icon. If I could make another request, it would be to replace the "BRAKE" with the "!" version, swap the two bottom icons left to right, and widen the width of the white line for the brake icons, so that it is as wide as the other icons. I know, I know ... but I cannot help it! And it is already so much better than what I would have come up with.

I am not sure if camerahunter can make the vinyl sticker to put on a cleaned off insert, or the insert itself, but either way I am interested. Van Cafe did say that they could not make them up for me, but that I could buy blank inserts from them.

Thanks again to both of you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: