Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to find a new buggy dash
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Where to find a new buggy dash Reply with quote

I do not like the design of my buggy's dash and want to change it. The way it comes back towards the passengers does not allow for a close fitting roll cage front hoop. Plus it has been hacked by several PO's.

I do not want the ABS plastic Manx dash. I want a fiberglass dash so I can cut my already painted hood and bond a new dash onto it. I can do this at the windscreen area so the seam will be covered. I am looking for a dash that slopes back towards the front of the buggy so I can tuck a roll cage hoop right up againt the windscreen.

Is there a source for new fiberglass dash's out there?

Here is what I currently have:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Meco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI -The new Manx dash is fiberglass.
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
You can use a Manx dash but you will have to cut away some of your current dash, then glass the new dash on.

Not the best picture but you can see how the Manx hood/dash angles forward where yours angles backward. It should not be too big a deal and the joint will be covered by the windshield.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
Joe,
You can use a Manx dash but you will have to cut away some of your current dash, then glass the new dash on.

Not the best picture but you can see how the Manx hood/dash angles forward where yours angles backward. It should not be too big a deal and the joint will be covered by the windshield.

That is my exact intention. I do not like the current slope of my dash, I want it to slope away from me. I believe I can do the work and never harm the current paint.

I have contemplated the Manx dash, but the design does not impress me. I have emailed Berrien about the Citation and Lancer Dash's but have yet to hear back.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should work the same. You should be able to do it without damaging the paint. You could tape it off and use a cut-off wheel to cut hood to fit new dash. Then tape the hood to protect paint and glass dash to hood. (from underneath) You may find, as I did, that you have to clamp the hood to the dash to pull in the lower "fingers" of the hood. Mine were sprung out and needed to be pulled in to match the dash's contour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I will make the dash fit the hood. The hood fits the contour of the body so well, I will modify the dash to meet it so it will still fill all the gaps as it currently does.

I have also been contemplating adapting/contouring/altering the dash to fit the roll cage into it, but not have the roll cage go through it. Basically have a cupped, contoured section at each end of the dash for the tubing to fit into but still be exposed and able to remove the dash/hood as one piece away from the roll cage.

A buddy flagged me on these racing 944 fiberglass dashes. I can alter this one nicely to fit the roll cage and my existing hood.

Just looking at all options.

MANXXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a version of dash for our mid travel cars you might be able to use.
We get $225 for the 3 piece set. It may be a little wide for a standard manx though.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We get $225 for the 3 piece set.

Looks interesting. Please explain the three pieces and the outside width.

GTBRADLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it fastens around the roll cage. The center pc then two outer pcs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: