Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need advice. Looking for a weekender but what year?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Need advice. Looking for a weekender but what year? Reply with quote

As you can see in my signature line I have a few vans, all transporters. We are going to make the jump to a weekender soon. Having never ridden in one I am wondering which years are the quietest rolling down the road.
My experience with the 85's vs the 87 and a 91 is the 91 transporter has the best feeling of comfort and quiet. The ride is smoother, profile lower, easier in and out and I love those mirrors!

Any advice/input is welcomed.

Thank you,

David
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We LOVE our 1990 pop top Multivan!

I also have an 85 full Westy.

I have found you can make them all ride and drive the same, if you want.

It just depends on what you are willing to do.

Box stock, I too find the later ones somewhat better, though.

If you can find one, get a Multivan, if you can, I think.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think buying the newest one you can find is always recommended for both technical improvements and resale value.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is huge difference in noise or feel between years so much as there would be between carat models and non carat. If you are looking for a poptop weekender, then carat is out and now you are choosing between early weekenders with one stationary seat behind driver or later ones with two removabe jump seats. The last year or so called multivans would likely come with factory rear sholder seat belts that retract. I say decide what year of van you currently own best and find a weekender model in that year range.

Hans
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still trying to figure out the Carat and Wolfsberg options.
It seems the Carat does not include a pop top option?
I have looked at a lot of them online and there was a super nice 91 a while ago here on craigslist but it has long since sold.
The road noise with my 85's is at least 3x more then in the 91. Also the wind noise is greater with the windows down/open with the 85's then the 91.

Thank you,

David
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind noise issue may be the difference between early and late venting. Translation those vans with the vents in the rear windows.

The 1986 and 1985 Wolfsburg pop top weekender may be avoided because the upholstery falls apart. Early 85 material is fine. So is the 1987. But they just had some bad material for a while. That is the tan corduroy that seems to shred.

That earlier seat with storage is cool.

The later one, like I have, I tend to leave the left jump seat in and the right one out, just the same configuration the earlier ones had. BUT, I *MISS* the cabinet space from the earlier one. I REALLY like the cabinets in my Westy but, all that takes up a lot of room. We use the table a lot in our Multivan.

Speaking of talbes, transplanting the front table from a Westy is next on my list and I have the table already but it was HARD to find.

Interiourwise I perefer the gray of the later vans, but you make like the brown and tan of the earlier ones.

Also the captains chair swivel on, at least, the passenger side is a nice addition especially if there is no jump seat behind it. (I dislike the later jump seat mount hanging out there when there is no seat, also, right along with the seat belt that stays. (FYI: I know of no van that had shoulder belts in the back as mentioned above, too.)

Mechanically speaking there is nothing to talk about really.

I must say, the later Multivan handles better stock than the earlier ones, but again, you can fix that via the resources here.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
randiego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this post, i still don't understand the differences with the Weekender, Carat, Wolfsburg and now a new term, Multivan.

I have an '89 Carat which i just obtained, with the jumpseats and the table, but no poptop. I love this configuration, and it's what I wanted. I agree the cabinets take up too much space.
fixedgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the '86 Weekender and am very fond of it. R390 mentions one of the big drawbacks-the shred-o-matic cordouroy tan seats. I fixed that with camel coloured Shear Comfort sheepskin front seat covers-which have been my favourite investment so far, (warm in winter, cool in hot weather-those sheep knew what they were doing).

I then bought So Fine armrest upholstery, and rear facing seat material in Toast tweed. Looks great. As far as the rear bench-I have it down alot and slide alot of material in through the hatch. I can't justify nice upholstery here, and a Mexican blanket really spices up the inside the rest of the time. The back cushion has a perfectly fitting heavy plastic sheet on top of the cushion, with a heavy carpeting underneath which can be used for traction issues. Under that is the B-Quiet overall including the engine lid.

I really like the brown, and I kind of am amazed at this as I never buy anything in tan or brown, but the goldish tone of the van inside is very pleasant.

I can't give a noise comparison with later years. One thing I would point out as an advantage to the '86 or maybe '85 as well, is the non- heated air ducts facing the cabin. I can't see the point of heating air to direct it at the driver and passenger. I can keep warm air below to the foot vents, while driving with cool air on my face. My wife appreciates this, and can shut her cabin vent. Didn't many years of cars have dual heat control systems, so that cool air could be had uptop and warm below? This may be a more primative version of that, but it works for me.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A weekender is a poptop van that does not have full cabinets, stove etc... Just the bench/bed below with a small cabinet in the rear on the left and one or two rear facing seats with a fold down table between the seats and the bench.

The carat is similar but does not have the poptop or rear cabinet. The rear bench is raked back a little more since there is no cabinet behind it. Carats also had lower springs .

Multivans where just the name for the last year models of weekenders, 90 and 91 I think.

Wolfsburg editions just had upgrades like power windows nicer cloth and what ever was available that year.

These are just basic differences. There are a lot more detailed differences if you look into it.

GL's where the basic vans with the bench seat in the middle.

Hans
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randiego wrote:
Reading this post, i still don't understand the differences with the Weekender, Carat, Wolfsburg and now a new term, Multivan.

A quick turtorial without huge detail ...

Weekenders were wolfsburg westfalias with pop-tops in years '85 thru '87 inclusive. Came both in 2wd and syncro ('86-'87). 'Wolfsburg' refers to the interior appointments including the upholstry, insulation, etc. Cooler, no sink or stove, covered jumpseat, cabinets, fold-out table, etc.

Carat ... correct me if wrong but no pop-top, passenger van, insulation and plush carpet, 2wd only, years '89 thru '91 (?), no tables, lowered suspension, cruise control, air, etc. The maximum luxury for vanagons.

Multivan ... later years ('88-'91 ?) pop-top with appointments similar to carat but some different things similar to weekender. Basically a plusher weekender but no syncro.

These days you can find numerous vanagons with all kinds of upgrades and change-outs (and molestations) from previous owners so that it's sometimes hard to know what you're looking at.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Carat ... correct me if wrong but no pop-top, passenger van, insulation and plush carpet, 2wd only, years '89 thru '91 (?), no tables, lowered suspension, cruise control, air, etc. The maximum luxury for vanagons.

FYI...my 89' Carat has a folding table, AC, lowered suspension, power steering, 2 rear jump seats, power mirror, no cruise control, no power window
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also seems like multivans 90-91 were primarily auto trans. Rarely see a lete multi with stick.
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehh this is a never ending question we each have our preferences and our own opinions drive a few and check a few out fall in love with one and bye it
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
also seems like multivans 90-91 were primarily auto trans. Rarely see a lete multi with stick.

Maybe.

Mine is a stick. The blue one I am considering buying is a stick.

You see lots of vans with automatic too.

snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others have said, choose one you would be most comfortable driving.
If you do come across one with the tan shredded corduroy seats and rest is in overall good shape, It's not hard to replace the material on the bench and jump seat.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or the Seats.

snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Steelhead wrote:

Maybe.

Mine is a stick. The blue one I am considering buying is a stick.

You see lots of vans with automatic too.

Me too. 1990 Multivan, manual trans. RonC
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
The 1986 and 1985 Wolfsburg pop top weekender may be avoided because the upholstery falls apart. Early 85 material is fine. So is the 1987. But they just had some bad material for a while. That is the tan corduroy that seems to shred.

That earlier seat with storage is cool.

The interior would be the only reason that I would avoid the '85-'86. The corduroy was terrible and definitely has UV breakdown issues.
That being said, I am currently reupholstering mine with a (hopefully) more durable fabric. Since the seats are fairly straight forward they shouldn't be too costly to recover. That could be factored into the pricetag when you purchase. I like the seat with storage and the van is whisper quiet on the road. Can't wait to get my interior finished so I can post some pics. Unfortunately, it's a slow process since I can only work on it in the small scraps of free time I get.

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Thanks. It's only just begun. I'm only replacing the corduroy since all of the vinyl and piping is still in great shape.

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: