Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Gowesty springs ver 2.0 impressions...?..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dylan

Here is my dilemma. As I explained before, I'm not too happy with my earlier version of the syncro.org springs and it looks like I'm not alone. Most of the people that have reported issues with those springs are driving Westys. Those people, including myself, are reporting sagging or van lean after installation, requiring spring spacers to level out plus general softness affecting braking (nose dive) and cornering. The extra weight and higher center of gravity doesn't help. It looks like so far you are testing the version 2 springs on lighter vans compared to a Westy so your testing is not going to help Westy owners. Have you considered testing on a stock Westy? By the way, thanks for taking the time to test and report.

Besides that, your testing is being conducted after the springs have been distributed and are on sale. I do believe you have some kind of relationship with syncro.org, either professional or just friendship, please correct me if I am wrong. If that is true, I would be inclined to believe we won't hear a lot of bad things about them, please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to explain what my thoughts are. Believe me when I say I do want to believe this version 2 springs are better because so far they seem to be my prefered choice but I got burned the first time around and don't want to spend another $400 plus installation on springs that might not work for me. The GoWesty progressive springs would not work for me down the road when I do an engine conversion.

I wish some testing would have been done before distribution or syncro.org springs with results presented to potential customers to make an informed decision, similar to what the brit guy is doing with the ring and pinion for auto trannys. Like somebody said before, why we don't get to see the spring rate?

Another point is that I believe there are more Westy with Bilsteins than Westys with Konis. It is great that the Konis can be adjusted, that helps a lot, I think the Bilstein HD shocks are a bit softer or bounce a bit more compared to the Konis range. Switching to Konis to tune my suspension and make it a bit stiffer would be costly.

Anyways, just wanted to share where I stand, most likely I will wait to hear more feedback on these version 2 syncro.org springs mounted on a Westy before I make up my mind. Another option is Small Car springs but I have not heard any reviews on them. Maybe 2WD Fox springs? My wallet already screams...

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could use a more up to date spring thread for the stickies.

As noted by several the information available is spread out all over the place and the decisions made around the subject of springs is arguably more confusing than that of wheels or tires.

Perhaps we can brainstorm a format and start collecting impressions of the various springs currently on the market.. and get it into a place where new and veteran member scan find the info?

Thoughts?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..

Last edited by j_dirge on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Ok.....this is a 2wd thread right?

Actually its a Syncro spring thread that seems to have gone 2wd.

The springs in question were the Syncro springs.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my last post I was just answering Insyncros question from earlier where he asked if the thread was 2wd or not.

I didn't mean for any of the current posts to be edited out. There was some good info there Rolling Eyes
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, I'm still happy with my GW springs. I like the firm ride the OME's provide, although, I have not been off road to really give a objective opinion. I hope to address anti-sway and steering with Powerflex in the future.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to powerflex, burley, Addco or similar bars, and gunna see how much better this is. I think the extra flex on light trails is going to be better than I'm prepared for, I've only been driving mine onroad, which.. I get asked daily..... Is that a syncro?

Shocked

I think I then need to get some pictures for the Nature thread, see how well the GW 2wd+2"'ers do. Smile
airsweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put these springs and new Koni shocks on my 82 diesel this past weekend. So far, so good... much better than before. My van was sagging to the left big time. Even with the new springs I had to use a few extra spacers out back to get it level with full water and propane tanks. I'm sitting right about 18" all the way around now and it feels just like a lotus in the corners... ha ha!
1985 1.9 WBX Westy
1986 2.1 WBX Syncro Westy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airsweden wrote:
I put these springs and new Koni shocks on my 82 diesel this past weekend. So far, so good... much better than before. My van was sagging to the left big time. Even with the new springs I had to use a few extra spacers out back to get it level with full water and propane tanks. I'm sitting right about 18" all the way around now and it feels just like a lotus in the corners... ha ha!

That is awesome news, I've got the springs and shocks and am waiting on the my new set of Burley A-Arms to show up. How many pads did it take to level up in the rear? I bought one set when I get the springs. Guessing it will be enough, but I'm curious how it worked out on yours.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
airsweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 stock black rubber pads plus one homemade "cutting board" type on the drivers side. The pass side has just the one original pad. It seemed excessive to need 2 spacers on the left but it is a westy, tanks are full and maybe the diesel engine hangs a little that way too.

The only thing I have to compare these to are the 30 year old stock pieces I pulled out. Now the van sits roughly 2" higher and feels smoother, more stable but not too harsh.

One funky thing I noticed is that the swaybar end links might want to occupy the same space as the spring from time to time. I can hear what sounds like a coil getting hung up and then snapping free whenever I put one front wheel in a hole or over a curb at slow speed and full steering lock, like when doing a u turn. There paint is now chipped off the spring in the area of the link too.
1985 1.9 WBX Westy
1986 2.1 WBX Syncro Westy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: 4x4 springs Reply with quote

bosruten wrote:
Anyway, I'm still happy with my GW springs. I like the firm ride the OME's provide, although, I have not been off road to really give a objective opinion. I hope to address anti-sway and steering with Powerflex in the future.
Blue Bay Bus X2 love mine, and yes I've been off road and they work great. I got the old man shocks with them, love gas shocks. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: