Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I Need a Favor From a 1950's Ghia Owner
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: I Need a Favor From a 1950's Ghia Owner Reply with quote

Hello my Ghia friends,

I need a big favor. As some of you may know – I am undertaking a monumental task – making a reproduction of the 1950's model bulkhead mat. I have almost every dimension that I need to make a master mat. I am very detailed oriented, and if I am going to put this level of work (and art) into this project, with the goal getting the final part as accurate as possible.

I am who looking for anyone with a good bulkhead floor mat who is willing to help out the Ghia community by making a “charcoal rubbing”of the heater outlets that are on the kick panel of the 1950's Ghias. Here are some pics of the place and part that I am referring to:

Below is a picture from an owners manual, you can see the arrow that I made pointing to the rubber heater outlet opening – they is a small “lip” and I need the exact shape of this part to make the very best reproduction that I can:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is what I have to work with:

I have a pretty good hand-made copy that I made of the part, but it would be great to have the EXACT dimensions.

This is where I need a favor from someone who has a good original mat – by using very thin “newspaper thickness" or just thin paper in general, and a stick of art charcoal, a crayon or chalk - a rubbing can be made showing the exact shape can so I will know just how to shape this small, but – for the sake of accuracy – very important part.
This is a very simple and easy thing to do, that only takes a moment and will not harm your car in anyway. Google is full of information on how to do this, but it's really a “no-brainer".

Here are some basic guidelines that I found. The instructions are bit overkill, as the process is just not that complicated. The following are some excerpt from just one site on how to do this:

Tape the paper to the tombstone. ( floor mat) Make sure that it is secure so that it won't slide as you are rubbing and cause a blurred image, and that it covers the face of the (rubber) completely, so that you won't get marks on it when rubbing.
Using rubbing wax, a large crayon, charcoal, or chalk, gently start to rub along the outside edges of your paper or material, carefully working your way in. Or you may choose to begin at the top and work your way down the (Rubber opening of the Ghia's heater outlet)
Rub lightly to start with, and then apply more pressure to darken in the design if it suits you. Be very careful and gentle so as not to damage the tombstone.(Ghia - lol)
If you used chalk for your tombstone rubbing, then carefully spray the paper with a chalk spray such as Krylon. Hairspray is another alternative. Be very careful not to get any on the tombstone. (ghia rubber) ( this step is probably not Necessary- John)

When the rubbing is done, carefully remove it from the tombstone and trim the edges to suit your liking.

So if someone would kind enough to help the entire Karmann Ghia community and mysself with this, I'm sure that I speak for all '50's Ghia owners so we will finally have this totally extinct,but so important part.
Thank you for reading this, and if you can do this and send it to me, PM me for my address, I can make this worth your trouble.

Thank you,

John
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bob-on
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent Wink
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you reckon this little piece would be any help I´ll put in the mail tomorrow.
You are my hero Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

/J
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burman wrote:

If you reckon this little piece would be any help I´ll put in the mail tomorrow.
You are my hero Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

/J

Any little bit helps! I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

John
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
I can do it too. Just let me know if you need it.
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: