Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Buying a Thing Reply with quote

I have always liked The Thing and I would like to eventually like to add one to my collection of VW's. How much would a Thing be that is not necessarily restored and perhaps not even running but in one piece. (ie. most everything is there but not necessarily all working)
lotsavws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Buying a Thing Reply with quote

We have been Thing enthusiasts for quite a few years. We just sold one that was from GA, no title, not running, pretty much all there. The rockers, fenders, and floors needed to be replaced. We sold it for $1700. You are better trying to find one that is done or in good original condition, rather than buying one that needs restoration. Parts are expensive (new rockers can run $1200 for all 4). Just some info.

Of course, VW Thing are my favorite. And if you want to do one up yourself, then I would pay no more then $2000 for a restoration project.

:)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Buying a Thing Reply with quote

How much do ones in "good original condition" run? Do you know of anyone selling a Thing in original condition?
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Buying a Thing Reply with quote

Probably 2-3K if needing lots of work. About 4K for a good daily driver, 6-8K depending upon how good of a restoration. 8-12K for professional make over.

Parts are readily available and I don't think the prices are unreasonable. Comapre them to a Honda and it is a bargain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lotsavws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Buying a Thing Reply with quote

good original condition can run over $3000. I will keep your email address, and if I come across one, I will let you know.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Buying a Thing Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. Now I have a good idea of what I am looking at in terms of buying a Thing. Thanks again.
lotsavws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Buying a Thing Reply with quote

Hey,

We found a Thing that needs full restoration. It is not running at the moment, but we are having it checked out to see what it needs to get it running. It has a clear title, almost mint gas heater(rare), side curtains, no top, etc. If you want, we can get you pics and details. It is priced at $1500.

let me know, and I will email you.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Buying a Thing Reply with quote

Yes, please send me the pictures etc.. That would be awesome!
lotsavws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Buying a Thing Reply with quote

I received your email and will get the info to you tomorrow. We will get digital pics and do a complete inspection for you.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Buying a Thing Reply with quote

Just a note: there's a running thing in the classifieds for $3500. It looks really nice and the price is cheap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: