Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back End Baskets vs Roof Top Carriers vs Utility Trailers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
It needs 14" Vanagon alloys too.

LOL! I have an extra set of steelies with new tires, am thinking of swapping over to them.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikeyb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. A little paint job, same colors as your Van, and you're set! Congrats! Cool
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty well decided on a front platform(maybe small box) and same on back. That way weight is distributed and I don't have to worry about towing. I think if I fit bicycle whips (with red flags) and 4 corners, I should have no problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeyb wrote:
Awesome. A little paint job, same colors as your Van, and you're set! Congrats! Cool

Aye! Thank you JoeTiger! It'll look like a shorty Vanagon.... Laughing One of my club members is picking it up Monday, and I will be going up to CS to get it in a few weeks. Can't wait!

Now all I gotta do is sell the vintage 58 Heilite single wheel tent trailer I bought a few years ago.....Anyone interested?, it's a deal at the price I have it at. New canvas, new vinyl cover, kitchen box and two cots. Check my ads. Wink

Simba, seems like you are going to have a interesting set up. I am curious to see it, once you get it done!.......and no bicycle flags, make it a set of VW flags. Wink
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm that gives me an idea. 4 whip flags, one VW, one Vanagon, one Cda and the 4th???? mmmmchief cook and bottle washer. Yes I can make it interesting. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking around at cargo bags earlier and found this thing:

http://www.rightlinegear.com/cargosaddlebag.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's inexpensive and looks like it could maybe be modified to work on a Westy.

Slow day at work.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a pic of this installed on their van?
EDIT: Would this interfere with the rear wiper?

Last edited by singler3360 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Ryan Pruden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres my custom swing out box that i made last year. I should of put a receiver in the bumper thou, but i didnt want to cut the chrome bumper.

goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a single wheel trailer
http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel46.html
best and worst of both worlds.. Laughing
I have a friend with an old splitty and an original helite, He's been cruising in it for years and loves it
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Pruden wrote:
heres my custom swing out box that i made last year. I should of put a receiver in the bumper thou, but i didnt want to cut the chrome bumper.

That's a very nice box! We've been using this for a couple of years now to hold the camping gear and its worked very well for us.

http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting rear cargo bag...This one mounts to the hatch, not roof rails. Just for soft gear though:

http://www.aeropack.com/

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Another interesting rear cargo bag...This one mounts to the hatch, not roof rails. Just for soft gear though:

http://www.aeropack.com/

I like it! I still prefer the Rubbermaid for its free-standing-ness. It will also fit in the luggage rack if you can stand the noise and the mileage hit.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have front/rear Rockymountain twin peak bumpers.. I'm rigging for a much longer trip, where we're packing alot into/onto the van and wanted some options.

I'm presently in design of two apparatus for additional storage, in the front for a small scooter (yamaha Zuma/similar) perhaps some additional storage..

The rear, is being designed to be multi purpose.. a disconnectable 2ft deep platform nearly as wide as the van, which I can slide pneumatic wheels onto, or utilize as a platform for hangin out on the back hatch open.. when mounted, can be used to toss the cooler on, other storage, firewood, etc..

My design will bolt into the hitch, secure into the rear D ring brackets for stability.. when swung open will have spring pins which make the swingout stay open in a couple positions. The swingouts will have adjustable feet which acts somewhat as a outrigger, stabilizing the vehicle somewhat. The front apparatus will also have the same.

One swingout will offer a tire mount, gascans, the other swingout will be a ladder/gascans and hold the bikes.

When I buildup the swingout uprights, they will stand straightup, then match the angle of the rear hatch, so the tire will lay back toward the hatch just a tad, as well as the ladder, offering a neutral weight onto the swingout, and the tire will sit closer to the window, cans or lockbox will mount to the backside of the upright, above the bumper.

Been reviewing DIY bumper, DIY swingout manufacturer, can get the swingout bearings for about 40$.

I'm not jazzed by the atypical swingout latch/hasp designs which are kinda unsightly, been looking at high security hasps where the key goes up into the lock.

The cool thing, is that when I dont want to use this, I can disconnect the whole deal. The idea is that this swingout will be modular, and not used when in city, can be easily disconnected when needed.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know where I should post this thread I found in a Jeep Forum.
but an economical idea for those who want a cheap DIY (w/o welding) roof cargo rack

Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/diy-roof-rack-1174670/

Jscherb wrote:
Here's a design that might give you some ideas... this one can be made very inexpensively from two Harbor Freight ATV Cargo Racks. Mine cost about $75 (the racks were on sale plus the 20% off coupon on each so they cost me $30 each), plus the $15 XJ Cherokee roof rack that's mounted on the roof.

It's actually a drill-and-bolt fab job, there's no welding or complicated construction or tools required. If you need more details or info let me know.

I've tested it with more weight than it would be safe to drive with, but that doesn't mean the factory hardtop would be capably of the same weight capacity, my hardtop has brackets that support the roof rack directly on the roll bars

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: