Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody use Yoosmart MPPT solar charge controllers?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Anybody use Yoosmart MPPT solar charge controllers? Reply with quote

http://www.yoosmart.com

The search is not strong with me and I find no reviews or real person accounts of the subject charge controllers.

I want to use some grid tie panels for my application and the $200+ cost of something like the Morninig Star controllers pinches my pocket book a bit too much.

Anybody use or have reference to first person use accounts of the YooSmart MPPT controllers?????

TIA,
Walt...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody use Yoosmart MPPT solar charge controllers? Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
http://www.yoosmart.com

The search is not strong with me and I find no reviews or real person accounts of the subject charge controllers.

I want to use some grid tie panels for my application and the $200+ cost of something like the Morninig Star controllers pinches my pocket book a bit too much.

Anybody use or have reference to first person use accounts of the YooSmart MPPT controllers?????

TIA,
Walt...

A while back I learned the hard way that any MPPT controller less then $500 is probably a POS.

What is this "application" you are wanting to set up? High voltage grid tie panels are not well suited to mobile applications due to low watts/Square foot output.

The best bang for your buck/watt/square foot for mobile applications really is a PWM controller monocrystalline solar cells.

EDIT// A very helpful solar forum is this one many many people post up there asking for advice on solar systems and they are always very willing to help!

EDIT2// I have some high voltage thin film panels that I will sell pretty cheap if you are interested.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody use Yoosmart MPPT solar charge controllers? Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
A while back I learned the hard way that any MPPT controller less then $500 is probably a POS.

Hard to believe all those sub $500 controllers I see pictured here are that bad as nobody complains they are bad.

So what is the problem?

jackbombay wrote:
What is this "application" you are wanting to set up? High voltage grid tie panels are not well suited to mobile applications due to low watts/Square foot output.

Portable array of several small panels totaling 200W

jackbombay wrote:
The best bang for your buck/watt/square foot for mobile applications really is a PWM controller monocrystalline solar cells.

The panels I have are monocystalline configured to 48V and I can not find a PWM controller that will handle that input voltage.

Hence I seek an MPPT controller which likely uses a buck converter to drop the voltage to charge.

YooSmart MPPT controllers are spec'd to handle high input voltage.

That is why I have asked if anybody has or does use them.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody use Yoosmart MPPT solar charge controllers? Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
jackbombay wrote:

Hard to believe all those sub $500 controllers I see pictured here are that bad as nobody complains they are bad.

So what is the problem?

The guys that do it for a living (who were not selling me anything) stated the cheap MPPT controllers are inefficient and for smaller arrays bang for you buck is with PWM as the controller cost ~$40 instead of $XXX The cheap MPPT controller I had failed twice in 6 months, it was a "BZ products" cost me $130 for each of them and they weren't worth a penny.

Where you already have panels the bang for your buck situation is different...

Samba ad here.

solarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: charge controllers Reply with quote

I live off grid and use the Morningstar mppt controller for my well it great and no problems they cost a little more but worth it.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody use Yoosmart MPPT solar charge controllers? Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
r39o wrote:
So what is the problem?

The guys that do it for a living (who were not selling me anything) stated the cheap MPPT controllers are inefficient and for smaller arrays bang for you buck is with PWM as the controller cost ~$40 instead of $XXX The cheap MPPT controller I had failed twice in 6 months, it was a "BZ products" cost me $130 for each of them and they weren't worth a penny.

Google BZ and you will find they ARE bad news. I noted that for my self the other day using the search. What I did not find is any comment on YooSmart which seems to be made by Koneze I found and now need to do a new search.

Watt I do realize is that at 12V, 200W is like 16A which is gonna get a bit hot. So maybe I will half my power to the battery system and run the other half through a buck converter to run some stuff directly off the panels. This is just a thought.

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: charge controllers Reply with quote

solarguy wrote:
I live off grid and use the Morningstar mppt controller for my well it great and no problems they cost a little more but worth it.

The Morningstar SunSaver 15A / 200W input can handle to 75Volts and costs, it seems, just over $200.

That device would likely do it.

I am cheap and will not buy something until I take a good long look.

(I thought I had a cheap PWM controller that could handle a high input voltage, BUT, I was and am wrong....sigh....but I have the panels and want to use them.....)

So I am looking at these Koneze brand MPPT controllers sold on YooSmart.com

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: charge controllers Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

The Morningstar SunSaver 15A / 200W input can handle to 75Volts and costs, it seems, just over $200.

That made me recall that the panels I was using put out 96 volts, and thats why I needed such a spendy MPPT controller.

Samba ad here.

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: charge controllers Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
r39o wrote:

That made me recall that the panels I was using put out 96 volts, and thats why I needed such a spendy MPPT controller.

Mine are 48 V nominal and, I think, we measured to 60V in bright light unloaded / open circuit.

So I can wire my panels all in parallel for a MorningStar.

There is a Koneze / YooSmart controller than can do 150V input which would allow me to use smaller wire or have less IR losses, which is better. Plus the price is half. Still looking......

solarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: The Morningstar SunSaver Reply with quote

The Morningstar SunSaver will do the job just make sure if you go 24v battery that your solar panel puts out about 30+volts so that your battery’s get toped and go in to a float charge.I have been living off grid for 8 years and found that the The Morningstar SunSaver is very good for the price.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Morningstar SunSaver Reply with quote

solarguy wrote:
The Morningstar SunSaver will do the job

I looked at the Sunsaver as I have one of the same solar panels as R390 and would like a controller for it. I did not see a max voltage rating for the solar panel on the SunSaver spec sheet. My panel puts out 59-60 volts.

I found the 10A SunSaver for $49. It would be great if it would work for my application.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Morningstar Reply with quote

The MorningStar Sunsave controller I am looking at for about $200 is the model SS-MPPT-15L

Form the MorningStar website: http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sunsavermppt

15A MAX BATTERY CURRENT
75V MAX OPEN CIRCUIT VOLTAGE
200W MAX PV INPUT

This mates well with the Grid Tie panels we have.

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: YooSmart Koneze Reply with quote

The Koneze YooSmart controllers I am looking at are at:
http://www.yoosmart.com/solar/solar-controller/mppt

10A MAX BATTERY CURRENT
60/100/150V MAX OPEN CIRCUIT VOLTAGE depending on model
120W MAX PV INPUT for 12V charging

This mates well with the Grid Tie panels we have, too

But, in my case the 120W means I could only use two panels at a time, just the cost of the controller is less than half too......

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Morningstar SunSaver Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:
solarguy wrote:
The Morningstar SunSaver will do the job

The SunSaver MPPT will do the job for the Grid Tie panels in question with the 60 Voc. Note this is the MPPT version of the SunSaver.

shadetreetim wrote:
I looked at the Sunsaver as I have one of the same solar panels as R390 and would like a controller for it. I did not see a max voltage rating for the solar panel on the SunSaver spec sheet. My panel puts out 59-60 volts.

I found the 10A SunSaver for $49. It would be great if it would work for my application.

The 10A version in the above quote is a PWM controller. It will NOT survive using a 60Voc in 12V mode.

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sun-saver

25V MAX PV volts which will not work for the Grid Tie panels we have.

See: http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/support/library/SS.IOM.01.EN.pdf

solarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: solar Reply with quote

I’m not a sales men I’m just a guy who installed an off grid 3kw system on the house I designed and built.I picked one up form arizona sun and wind http://www.solar-electric.com/mosumpsochco.html.I I would go with a canadian solar panel 230watt the Morningstar SunSaver 15 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller and a 24v battery bank.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have 200W worth of 48 V grid tie panels.

I have room for one battery and it seems a 110Ah flooded cell battery is in my future. I have a spot in the van for this battery already now.

Last is the controller. I am leaning towards the MorningStar SunSaver MPPT because of specs AND the fact it supports MODBUS.

I can live with the Koneze / YooSmart Tracer MPPT 1215 as it can handle up too 150V PV input.

Trouble is the 1215 is a 120W max at 12V and costs about 1/3 the MorningStar but, the MorningStar SunSaver MPPT can handle all 200W input I have available.

solarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: solar Reply with quote

I’ve never heard of the charger you are talking about. You want a MPPT charger it reads the battery’s and adjust its self so the batteries are getting a full charge.MPPT chargers will have a absorb & float cycles. The cheaper chargers will charge the battery’s to 100% then shut off. I had a cheap charger for my well and killed 4 sets of battery’s at a total of $800.00 it sucks to spend the money on a good charger but you will spend more on replacing battery’s
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
I already have 200W worth of 48 V grid tie panels.

I have room for one battery and it seems a 110Ah flooded cell battery is in my future. I have a spot in the van for this battery already now.

Last is the controller. I am leaning towards the MorningStar SunSaver MPPT because of specs AND the fact it supports MODBUS.

I can live with the Koneze / YooSmart Tracer MPPT 1215 as it can handle up too 150V PV input.

Trouble is the 1215 is a 120W max at 12V and costs about 1/3 the MorningStar but, the MorningStar SunSaver MPPT can handle all 200W input I have available.

Here ya go man, Habor freight....servicing you for all yer hightech electronic needs.
http://www.harborfreight.com/30-amp-charge-controller-94790.html
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:

Here ya go man, Habor freight....servicing you for all yer hightech electronic needs.
http://www.harborfreight.com/30-amp-charge-controller-94790.html

NOT!

See: http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/94000-94999/94790.pdf

PV max is only 25 volts

I need 60 volts or greater.

I would smoke that thing in a heart beat.

Next....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: