Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stripped stub
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: stripped stub Reply with quote

howdy! after i bought my van, there was a constant problem with the passenger-side cv bolts working themselves loose. (15 minutes after purchasing it, the axle actually fell off while cruising through garden of the gods.) some new bolts and a torque wrench fixed this problem, although there was still some side-to-side play in the axle. that play recently developed into full-blown knocking, so i took the cv joints out and decided to replace them, as they were well pitted (esp. on the outer), and there was a big chip taken out near one of the bolt holes (on the outer). i then noticed some bad stripping on the stub axle, where the cv bolts on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i guess i just wanted to ask: is it possible that some other, underlying problem might have caused this? i really don't want to reassemble everything and trash the new CVs. i'm sort of assuming that the worn-out CV and excessive play created a wrenching force that pulled on the stub axle. or maybe the stub axle was junk to begin with. the PO seems to have had no compunctions about using junkyard parts, regardless of condition. i did measure the axle, and it's the correct one for my manual trans.

just hoping to get some input! thanks!
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put in a good used one with new bolts and it should be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, then i shouldn't be concerned with wheel bearings or something else causing this unstable situation? i should have cracked off these CVs a long time ago, and i feel hopeful that replacing them and the stub and the bolts will make my van drive better than it ever has. not totally confident--but hopeful.

does anyone ever put a large plastic washer (such as might be made from a large soft-flexible [#4] coffee can lid) in between the cv and the stub? would that make any sense? i feel weird about the potential friction in between those parts. i know the torqued bolts keep them from rubbing, but there has to be some miniscule rotational give.

thanks for the reply, alaric. i hope to have things spinning right tonight.

oh, and i forgot to mention--i did already pick up a used stub for $25. it's got clean threads, just a few big dents in the end where the guy tried to use the impact hammer to knock it out. i got my old one off with a light (1 lb.) rubber mallet, which i swung rather forcefully. a big mallet could probably take it off with a tap or two. that 46mm (1 13/16") castle nut sure was fun. a long pole helps. scotch wouldn't hurt.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: axles Reply with quote

duderanchero wrote:
cool, then i shouldn't be concerned with wheel bearings or something else causing this unstable situation? i should have cracked off these CVs a long time ago, and i feel hopeful that replacing them and the stub and the bolts will make my van drive better than it ever has. not totally confident--but hopeful.

does anyone ever put a large plastic washer (such as might be made from a large soft-flexible [#4] coffee can lid) in between the cv and the stub? would that make any sense? i feel weird about the potential friction in between those parts. i know the torqued bolts keep them from rubbing, but there has to be some miniscule rotational give.

thanks for the reply, alaric. i hope to have things spinning right tonight.

oh, and i forgot to mention--i did already pick up a used stub for $25. it's got clean threads, just a few big dents in the end where the guy tried to use the impact hammer to knock it out. i got my old one off with a light (1 lb.) rubber mallet, which i swung rather forcefully. a big mallet could probably take it off with a tap or two. that 46mm (1 13/16") castle nut sure was fun. a long pole helps. scotch wouldn't hurt.
Blue Bay Bus NANCHO had that problem Brad had to grind the stub down to keep from rubbing , quality control is not that good on axles. I would think a spacer would just get torn up. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaric, judging from the video, my wheel bearings are fine--no wobble at all.

joseph, i'll keep that in mind. i hope this fix straightens everything out.

i suppose i should have also asked how the hell to get the stub back in there...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duderanchero wrote:

Proper operation depends on the friction between the CV joint and the stub axle. Don't even think of putting anything soft between the two, if it didn't squish out instantly it would only serve to fatigue the bolts and cause them to snap.
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildthings, thanks for the brutal truth. i didn't think it was an especially good idea, but i wasn't sure why. i believe the new cv and stub will make the whole arrangement more harmonious. i'm seeing the design through the lens of one utterly destroyed cv and a distorted stub axle, but i think good parts assembled properly will make a noticeably positive change in the driveability of my van. if i ever finish the job, that is.
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: today, still considerable side-to-side play in axle Reply with quote

i'm all ready to get her rolling again, except i checked the axle for play, and it moves pretty easily. i really don't want to take this apart again. i don't have a press, and getting the CVs, stub, and bearing housing out and in has been a real bear (although i think i'd let the axle nut do more work for me next time, rather than hammer on bearings). i haven't measured the play--it's perhaps a half-inch?

also, i reassembled the CVs and am hoping to high heaven i got that right. i have the chamfered side of the inner aligned with the single groove on the outer, and the big gaps between the balls aligned with the small gaps. is there any way that's wrong? a link probably wouldn't help, as i've probably seen it. if what i've just described of my CV orientation makes sense as being wrong or right, please tell me.

thank you!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: today, still considerable side-to-side play in axle Reply with quote

duderanchero wrote:
i'm all ready to get her rolling again, except i checked the axle for play, and it moves pretty easily... i haven't measured the play--it's perhaps a half-inch?...

Are you saying that you can grab the axle and slide it in & out a half inch? As far as I know, that is normal (normal on mine anyway).
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what i'm saying, ahwahnee. thanks for the confirmation. only reason i wonder is because the other side has zero play. it may have its own issues.

i am also paranoid about things like putting CVs together backwards. even though i'm pretty sure i got it right, they seem to have a surprisingly wide range of motion (they are new, and packed with grease).

guess i'll give her a go...
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the van (i have a name, but i don't use it) drove really well. there's always some placebo effect with any fix, but it feels just as good, so i go ahead and let it. i braced with joy as we catapulted along our favorite little stretch of road around town; we claim that quarter-mile for our own pleasure when ground conditions permit. we drive friendly, of course. that's the texas way*.

maybe i'm paranoid about the CVs being assembled backwards because my steering wheel became mysteriously upside-down following an ignition switch replacement. i'll get around to fixing that next, or else go on driving a molksagen.

*subject to behavioral interpretation, like anything. but we can do our best. and fail, and do our best again. then do our close-to-best, realize that was the worst we could have done, fail and again, stop counting them; take a breath--do our best**.

**that's more or less taken from a gatorade commercial i drank a while back. i think it was orange, and i mixed it with a greater quantity of water, a healthy pinch of salt, and a couple of spoonfuls of sugar.

i wonder, how much usable air can there be in a closed two-car garage?

good timing,
james
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duderanchero wrote:
that's what i'm saying, ahwahnee. thanks for the confirmation. only reason i wonder is because the other side has zero play. it may have its own issues.

i am also paranoid about things like putting CVs together backwards. even though i'm pretty sure i got it right, they seem to have a surprisingly wide range of motion (they are new, and packed with grease).

guess i'll give her a go...

Put together correctly they will have the widest range of motion. They are designed to elongate more from their neutral position than to shorten.
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds about right then, wildthings. i think they are functioning properly, but i'd better go for another spin just to make sure those bolts are staying torqued...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: