Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help with Eberspacher BA6 heater wiring identification
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: help with Eberspacher BA6 heater wiring identification Reply with quote

I can't read a wiring diagram to save my life unfortunately. Ive made a few random connections, but I simply can't find some of these on the diagrams so im hoping someone here can help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The above picture is the end of the wiring loom that ends up in the passenger compartment. There are two connectors that mate this to the rest of the wiring loom going back to the actual heater and other components.

#1 - Ground (I know this one is right)
#2 - These two went to the fuse box on the Vanagon I pulled it from. Is this supposed to be switched 12V power?
#3 - Red wire ? Is this also switched 12V?
#4 - All Green wire with spade connector - was this a ground also?
#5 - Plug Adapter
#6 - All Green wire with spade connector - ground?

#7 - Gray wire with blue stripe coming from the Temperature Regulator Switch - My guess is that this goes to a dimmer switch signal for the light in the switch?
#8 - Brown Wire with White Stripe - coming from the Temperature Regulator Switch? - I have no idea what this is supposed to connect to?

#9 - brown wire coming from the Safety Switch. This im sure is ground, but correct me if wrong.

This is the wiring diagram I have been using from Scott at Germansupply:
http://germansupply.com/Scotts_Folder/F6_1_4_1.jpg
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put these in the "Technical" "Heating and Air Condtioning" section here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1977eberspacher_ba6_repair_manual/11.jpg

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1977eberspacher_ba6_repair_manual/10.jpg

Has color codes. Hope this helps.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but those two are the same as the one big diagram above from Scott.

I can't find those two all green wires with the spades on them, and a few of them I just can't tell where they connect to. I would imagine that with the spades on those two all green wires that they were probably connected to either the fuse box or a ground. (but don't want to get that wrong obviously)
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two all green wire diagram is on the page with the wire/part legend and color codes.
Far right near top of the diagram. Solid green color code is "gn". Looks like one connects to the fuel pump (G6) and the other to the overheating switch (F17). Then through a couple of connectors to the overheating fuse (S17) then to a relay (J8a).

Also, some of the photos in the repair manual might help: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1977eberspacher_ba6_repair_manual.php
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know why I didn't do this before, but I traced the green wires to see what the other ends were connected to, in the hopes of figuring out what these ends connect to...

So, one of the all green wires goes to the Heater Relay, on a terminal marked with the letter F on the back of the relay.

The other green wire goes to the heater area under the bus, and ends up connecting to two wires on the other side of the loom. Those two wires are crimped onto a round connector which looks like its used to ground to the body where the coil mounts.

Is it possible that the ends im trying to find a location for are for opposite ends of the overheating fuse?
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive looked over some more user photo's of this setup and I think the two all green wires in the engine compartment are possibly for opposite ends of an inline fuse. there are a few of them in the wiring diagram but I don't have any in the current setup, so at least one or two of these unlabeled cabin side wires are likely going to fuses.
rcrjacob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't respond sooner... I'm the one with the youtube video. I bought a harness that was complete. Why is yours cut?? I might have another complete harness.

My M-Plate Decode:

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=3447
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcrjacob wrote:
Sorry I didn't respond sooner... I'm the one with the youtube video. I bought a harness that was complete. Why is yours cut?? I might have another complete harness.

Ill have to pull it all out again and shoot a short video of the setup. For some reason I thought id be able to match these up easier later on when I pulled this setup out of my old Vanagon.

I just found another youtube video showing a BA6 running on a bench. this one posted by skills@eurocarsplus:

Link

I kept running into confusion over what should go where that ive temporarily set aside the project. I have however sourced the rest of the plumbing/etc to adapt it into a bay that didn't have one before, so hopefully I can get everything figured out by this summer for a full install.
dvergillo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: BA 6 heater Reply with quote

In the video what is the knocking sound? Fuel pump? The '78 I just picked up has the ba 6. When the battery is hooked up it makes the same sound. The heater looks like it might not be factory or they cut a small section of a cross member for the heater exhaust.

Need to get it running first then worry about the gas heater.

Thanks
rcrjacob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's the fuel pump. It pulses to regulate the flow. When the heater goes into high you can hear the pump speed up.

My M-Plate Decode:

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcrjacob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

My M-Plate Decode:

dvergillo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks for the info. Lots to learn with the gas heaters. My first thought was internal engine problem. I was glad to still hear the knock without the engine cranking. I know I 've got other dual relay po wiring issues.
Thanks again.
Dean
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it's the heater pump? if your bus has a progressive in place of the FI it may be an aftermarket fuel pump you're hearing.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dvergillo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'm chasing a few too many items at once. Need to get it running before digging too deep into the heater.
I disconnected the engine fuel pump wiring and cranked the engine. Clunking noise is gone.

Thanks for the help.

Fyi :
1978 build 12 / 77
Stock hydro lifter 2.0 rebuilt at some point
stock FI system with PO wiring mods.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: help with Eberspacher BA6 heater wiring identification Reply with quote

For the record, the thick solid green wires are a fused safety function. Toss a inline fuse holder into that spot just like the ones in the engine compartment for backup lights and the heater fan Wink

Since that ba6 is not in my bus, you shouldn't have to worry to much about it chris Wink now I can see what all those damn numbers reference though...which is nice....the day AFTER I put it in and wire it up Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: