Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Update on my IRS Buggy build (HW2)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on! You have been working on that for awhile. I'm sure it feels great to be able to roll it, even if you have some more stuff to do. Very nice looking car. Well done.
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took HW2 (unfortunately still with an A-frame) today for wheel alignment after the king & link pins and tie rod ends were replaced by new ones a while ago - they got the alignment perfectly within the specs of a '74 Beetle Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Interesting to see that they still have the specs for Type 3's and 4's on their alignment machine Shocked

PS, does anyone know what a Beetle Type 9C is? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adriaan pienaar wrote:
...PS, does anyone know what a Beetle Type 9C is? Laughing

New Beetle 1998+ for Europe
Eryk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The redlines look amazing on those Sportstars, Love the look. Definitely has a hotweels vibe. Great job!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eryk wrote:
The redlines look amazing on those Sportstars, Love the look. Definitely has a hotweels vibe. Great job!

Thanks Eryk!

The end is in sight as I am almost 100% done with the wiring, then there is still a few small things to sort out.

I am using the original VW connectors for wire connections and splits - absolutely NO insolation tape and coloured 'hardware store special' terminals were used for the buggy.

This is what the terminals look like after they are sourced at the junk yeard -

After a cleanup (i.e. throw them in the washing machine with a bunch of clothes), they look a lot better Wink

The two at the bottom left are the most difficult to find - not a lot of South African Beetles have them, but they are used on all 411's and 412's - they basically split a circuit into two (i.e. flasher left rear and left front)

The ones at the right are common on Beetles, and splits a circuit into three - at the top left you can see the brass male and female terminals I am using. More pics to follow soon! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After struggling to get the correct side mirrors (i.e something that can actually see past the rear wheels) I decided to try the Hella spot light/mirror I got at a swop meet a while ago, on the drivers side - modified the stalk a bit - and it works perfect!

Almost a year to the date since the first test drive, I took HW2 for a spin around the block this morning to test the electrics, and almost everything went fine. The only problem was the horns that blow at a certain point when you turn the steering (might still be an issue with the steering wheel), and that the small indicator bulb on the tachometer blew - I checked it and it turned out to be a 6V bulb Embarassed

After spending some time (read: a number of hours) earlier fiddling with the dual Kadrons, they are now at a point that the buggy accelerate smoothly without any flat spots, and idle fine - the manifolds were ice cold after the small trip, which I suppose is a good sign. I reckon they only need some minor tweaking now - no idea of the consumption at the moment though. The exhaust gas is not too hot, and the dipstick is fairly cold, can be removed easily without burning my hands so I guess the engine doesn't run too hot. The Kadron gurus actually recommend a damper for the standard mechanical fuel pump, to bring the pressure down to no more than 1.5 psi (a standard Beetle fuel pump should give 2.8 psi at 3400 rpm).

Although according to the tech forums the 009 dizzy is also not ideal for the Kadrons, it will have to do for now as there is no vacuum signal for a vacuum advance dizzy, and it is quite a modification to install one. As far as I could find out, many VW owners use their cars with 009's and Kadrons with no problems.

The red rubber motocross shock covers I put over the front shocks turned out to be junk - and completely perished in a matter of less than a year, without seeing any sun Confused

Next will be to have the winscreen cut - I want to see if I can have it made so that it can fill the entire window frame, not only the inner part like what is was designed for - any ideas?

The gelcoat still need a final buff and polish, but I might end up repainting the whole body in a few years time. The seats still need to be covered, and the inside chassis covered with outdoor marine carpet. Then I also need to make the bikini top. I other words, still quite a list - but at least it is getting shorter.

But nonetheless - you like pics, so here are a few I took this morning:

adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cop-dodging late night fun - one has to test the lights in the dark as well, right? Wink

gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full service still exists in the world? Can't remember ever having anyone pump my gas for me...... Very Happy

Car looks great and the lights seem to work, but you may need more testing, watch out for the flashing lights that might show up in the mirror....

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cobbler!

All our gas stations in South Africa are full service - it has been like that eversince I can remember, and provide jobs to thousands of workers. It is standard practice for the attendant to ask if he (or she!) can check the oil and water (if applicable!) as well as the tyre pressure. Of course, it goes without saying that they get tipped for that by the owners of the vehicles.

(I will for certain be on the lookout for those flashing lights Wink )
adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE -

I've been playing around with an idea for a while - the black gauges looked too 'modern' for my liking so I searched high and low till I found 3 chromed bezels to put around them. Eventually found them, not perfect - but good enough after a polish and cleanup. This is the 'before' pic -

...and this is the 'after' - after some struggling! But I'm happy Smile

The display on the (new) VDO speedo was 99999, so after hooking up the cable for the speedo for the first time a trip around the block was all that was needed for...

a fresh start! Cool

Checked the speedo reading with the GPS and it is very close to being 100% accurate. It is not, however, the first time I've had a car with 00000 on the speedo

There was the '71 Bay, somewhere on the N3 near Bedfordview on Mon Nov 03, 2008

...and the '70 Squareback Tue Jan 26, 2010 on the N12 near Nelspruit

Who knows, maybe one day I'll see 00000 from the drivers seat of one of these, as I drive it off the showroom floor? Laughing

adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted the windscreen and wipers last week, and got the bikini top back today. Went to my local VW workshop this afternoon to have the rear 36mm axle nuts torqued, and on my way back had a chance to test the windscreen, wipers AND bikini top when a sudden cloudburst came from no-where Laughing

Drove HW2 for the first time on the N1 highway today - clocked 110km/h at one stage, but didn't want to go any faster as the traffic was a bit hectic, and the seat belts are not fastened yet... odometer already on 00078!

adriaan pienaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the buggy on a 300km (200 mile) camping trip the weekend, went fine - still a few small things to sort out, but I'm happy - thanks for the pics, Reuben!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: