Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
vic wrote:
Vwkidd, my cousin had a friend named carlos who had a bug, he was one of the originators of vw clan it might be him, he lived off 4th street. J8bug, I was reading this whole thread and I think and you stated your bros friends were into capris back then? My uncle went to salesian and he had a maroon Capri in the 80s, his name is manuel Martinez. My mom also grew up in city terrace and these brothers lived down the street and they had a lot of bugs.

Trip, my older brothers friends also drove early 70s maroon and brown Capris but they went to Cathedral. I was a kid so it was in
the mid to late 70s but I wanted to tagalong like VWKIDD did with his older siblings because they were some rowdy MFrs and used to party at a club called Circus but I couldnt pull that off, I was maybe 10 and circus was 21over. I love those Amigos pics. I wonder if the jerseys were street football or car club jerseys? Jerseys were how we showed our affiliations in the 80s. Your blue rhd with a vegas background was actually my screen saver for about a year. It was going to take some stiff competition to unseat it. Well that notch pic you posted on the notch thread is now my new screen saver. Cool rides

Thanks! Appreciate the props. They jerseys were club jerseys I believe with the numbers representing the year of the car they owned. but every thanksgiving they would meet at Roosevelt for the turkey bowl and playing some football. I was just a kid then. As my dad and his friends got older the football went away and it turned into a meet and drink. Lol. They still meet there every thanksgiving to this day.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vic wrote:
j8bug wrote:
vic wrote:
Vwkidd, my cousin had a friend named carlos who had a bug, he was one of the originators of vw clan it might be him, he lived off 4th street. J8bug, I was reading this whole thread and I think and you stated your bros friends were into capris back then? My uncle went to salesian and he had a maroon Capri in the 80s, his name is manuel Martinez. My mom also grew up in city terrace and these brothers lived down the street and they had a lot of bugs.

Trip, my older brothers friends also drove early 70s maroon and brown Capris but they went to Cathedral. I was a kid so it was in
the mid to late 70s but I wanted to tagalong like VWKIDD did with his older siblings because they were some rowdy MFrs and used to party at a club called Circus but I couldnt pull that off, I was maybe 10 and circus was 21over. I love those Amigos pics. I wonder if the jerseys were street football or car club jerseys? Jerseys were how we showed our affiliations in the 80s. Your blue rhd with a vegas background was actually my screen saver for about a year. It was going to take some stiff competition to unseat it. Well that notch pic you posted on the notch thread is now my new screen saver. Cool rides

Thanks! Appreciate the props. They jerseys were club jerseys I believe with the numbers representing the year of the car they owned. but every thanksgiving they would meet at Roosevelt for the turkey bowl and playing some football. I was just a kid then. As my dad and his friends got older the football went away and it turned into a meet and drink. Lol. They still meet there every thanksgiving to this day.

Lovin the history. Jerseys were HUUUUGE at Roosevelt. Street football was huge back then but it started to take a bad turn towards the late 80s. Thats a whole nother topic but to make a long story short the football teams started to turn into gangs and street enterprises and it was all downhill after that. Glad to hear the carclub side of things kept the friendships in place... Great pics Vic
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinwindows wrote:
Not my Richie!!!!!!!! That`s my home boy from Lincoln Heights. From what understand he use to roll Dubs back in the day and got into Harley Davidson`s and is now working on a TopNOTCH for his weekend roller all East L.A. Style. I`ll pass the word to him about this thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Moderators, There is no need to panic on the lowrider stuff. Up until 1978 the name of the game was Low and Slow for latinos. And then along with capris with the bug completely eliminating that thought came a new era that swept us all in and is why we are here on TheSamba. Our predecessors were an influence on what we did then as you can see, and we are just recognizing it for histories sake.
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="j8bug"]
twinwindows wrote:
Not my Richie!!!!!!!! That`s my home boy from Lincoln Heights. From what understand he use to roll Dubs back in the day and got into Harley Davidson`s and is now working on a TopNOTCH for his weekend roller all East L.A. Style. I`ll pass the word to him about this thread.

Moderators, There is no need to panic on the lowrider stuff. Up until 1978 the name of the game was Low and Slow for latinos. And then along with capris with the bug completely eliminating that thought came a new era that swept us all in and is why we are here on TheSamba. Our predecessors were an influence on what we did then as you can see, and we are just recognizing it for histories sake.[/quote]

Ora!! I can even remember when I was 8-9 years old and my Pops would take me to the RG Canning Super Shows at the Forum by USC and I recall a pink & white metal flaked/candied VW bug on cragars lowered from one of the iconic ORIGINATORS of the lowrider movement car clubs this was around 1973-1974.....WAY BEFORE THE OC CAL LOOK that has been documented in that 1977 HotVW's mag.
1966 141 Cabrio. L554 Cherry Red (low mileage)
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1958 Convertible 151 L349
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
twinwindows wrote:
I still have a soft spot for Primer`d down rides on Chrome Fuchs! That`s how it was done in the early days.

I also love a clean primered ride even with detailed 2 tone smoothies lowered.......My street race VW's were primered "beater" low profile sleeper, closed decklid Bugs on Centerlines....but all business Engine/Trans.....

Low and Slow and some shiny chrome. Thats always been the name of the Latino game...Some of us also like to go fast and I wouldnt be surprised this sweet ride has a screaming 2litre under the decklid
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Found some more random pics of my rides 80's Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
I found some random pics that didn't make it to my album that an El Rancho Chacha chick kept back in the 80's

My 59 Vert

One of my verts in it's early stage, my Ghia before interior, check the Playboy air freshner & Union 76 ball on my antenna all my rides had.....and check my Street Race Red 59 Ragtop w/centerlines that you can see at the corner edge......pic taken around 1983

Another pic 1983 check the Euro VWKIDD plate in front

This is an interior pic of my first VW around 1981 looking down my block..check the Playboy air freshener like the Bugs Buddys from Puente used to roll...that's how you knew you were affiliated before Painted side windows.

LOL, The 76s balls.. How about STP stickers and here is one ive been looking to put on my bugs speedo; 55 with a line thru it. Remember those?
djnacho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: back in the days the 80's Reply with quote

I still remember cruising Back in the eighty's foreign fantasy car club came out in 1982 our meetings were at southgate park we had 40 + members we would cruise to whittier boulevard of the 605 all the way down to east l a
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: back in the days the 80's Reply with quote

djnacho wrote:
I still remember cruising Back in the eighty's foreign fantasy car club came out in 1982 our meetings were at southgate park we had 40 + members we would cruise to whittier boulevard of the 605 all the way down to east l a

Hey Nacho wad up? welcome to our thread............I know you have plenty of stories & pics from the 80's LA VW scene.
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djnacho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do and just on sat I found 6 of the og members of our club and they have picture that I will get soon and post them on her and on our web page
Www.ff1982.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SouthGate in the Houuuse!!! Were always happy to see more people from the L.A. heydays show-up on this thread. Its about our 80s scene/thread now, so dump photos and stories and B.S as much as your heart desires. Sometimes you will see one group of guys B.Sing with each other and another group amongst each other, than we'll chime in on each other. Personally, im having a blast re-living all that stuff and hearing it from all the different areas of L.A... Way cool to hear you guys finding OG members. You hear it more and more...Awesome!!!
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
these were the bugs I recall back in the 80's, Now that we know where Bad Temper, Ragberry are, I wonder where King Rag and Baboom are? I remember seeing them cruise DQ's like it was yesterday.

I was talking to a friend from the 80s yesterday and he also wondered where Baboom ended up. That car definetley left an impression on many. One that left an impression on me was Radical Rag. I used to see that car everyday parked outside a market on 54street and Main st. Im sure its sitting in some backyard.
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back then it was a trip, If you knew the hangout areas you could see all those logo`d car driving by like nothing and you knew exactly where they were from or what hood they rolled.
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinwindows wrote:
Back then it was a trip, If you knew the hangout areas you could see all those logo`d car driving by like nothing and you knew exactly where they were from or what hood they rolled.

It would be sweet to find them & restore them to how they were back then. I've been thinking about building a tribute car. A logo'd VW I never got around to build back in the 80s... a VWKidd logo'd car, as an example of how there were back then in the 80s......Other car enthusiasts are doing it with vintage racecars,muscle cars, porsches, .....why not vintage VW's
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
twinwindows wrote:

It would be sweet to find them & restore them to how they were back then. I've been thinking about building a tribute car. A logo'd VW I never got around to build back in the 80s... a VWKidd logo'd car, as an example of how there were back then in the 80s......Other car enthusiasts are doing it with vintage racecars,muscle cars, porsches, .....why not vintage VW's

Sweet, I havent seen a logod car done right since the 80s... Ive got to plan an L.A. trip soon and I want to stop by the market where Radical Rag was always at. Those stores stay in the families for generations and Im sure they got pics. I always try to pay tribute to my 2 favorite eras, the 50s and 80s...
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on to your seats for a trip back in time. I only scanned a few but have way more to scan and post uP! The 80`s

CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRG thanks for scanning and posting my pictures bro Cool
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a blast from the past......I was at this show Small Car Specialties....I was out front cruising my Black Convertible Ghia and only parked by the tracks for a little bit and checked out the show while my boys stayed with the car.........good memories!!!

[quote="twinwindows"]

1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 89

Jump to: