Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got wood (interior panels)?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, That looks hella sharp..... I've been waiting for a long time to see somen one put up a post like this. I have a Passenger Syncro I am am pitting West interior in and I'm struggling on what to do for the headliner(leave it or do this)
I was unsure how it would look thats the only reason I havent tried this yet. Entire inside is stripped minus the head liner.

QUESTION:
In the front of the vn that appears to be curved at the top.... Is pressure the only thing holding up the middle?
I do a bit of carpentry so I got all the tools to do this real sharp... I may paint them instead of staining them and cover them with the
POR-15 product PELUCID that is designed specifically for wood and is hard as POR-15 and flexible.

How long did it take? Laughing
So did you simply trace out the old paneals and jigsaw them out?

Also I was wondering to you look into adding additional storage inside the panels? Ther are a few nice open pockets that could be done with perhaps.....
SockMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71MYSTABOO wrote:
One thing to consider when changing your interior panels is sound.

I replaced all the panels inside my 71 Bay with marine grade birch plywood, covered with clear coat epoxy. Made for a beautiful look. However the noise levels increased. All those hard surfaces reflect sound!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If I were to do over I would use the method I used on a Toyota truck; 1/8 inch hardboard covered with 1/4 inch foam and overlay with vinyl fabric.

Not quite as pretty, but a lot quieter!

What seat it that? looks nice in the van, looks quite comfortable.
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're planning on doing just this in our 1983 Diesel. I pulled the headliner recently it was toast to begin with so no tears shed there, but now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to tack 1/8 plywood in its place.

Anyone have suggestions or dimensions I can work from?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
I didn't do my panels but I did make my tables out of curly maple.

My tables live in storage and my panels are still in good shape but I made new top for the sink/stove out of some fiddleback maple I had lying around.

ZimZam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moot: Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm doing mine in Koa, and the cabinets in a Koa veneer. Hope to have them finished in next couple weeks. Once Heidi's painted then the cabinets can go back in.

"Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
- Steve McQueen
"It's just metal, when rusted and dented , anything you will do will be better. Stop being afraid. What they (VW) did many year ago is not better then what you will do now." -Ben
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZimZam wrote:
Moot: Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm doing mine in Koa, and the cabinets in a Koa veneer. Hope to have them finished in next couple weeks. Once Heidi's painted then the cabinets can go back in.

ZimZam, you are compelled by the power of Volkswagen to post photos of this process as soon, or sooner, as you can possibly get this up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
invisible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody do this to a non-westy? i started but the very back is a compound curve and i'm wondering if anyone has gotten the right shape for it.

that old bus looks great with the curved roof pieces and the rails in between, i wish the vanagons had those...
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
anybody do this to a non-westy? i started but the very back is a compound curve and i'm wondering if anyone has gotten the right shape for it.

that old bus looks great with the curved roof pieces and the rails in between, i wish the vanagons had those...

This is what we'll be doing. I have some old cabinets from a westy which will act as templates for most of the compound curves, still not sure what we'll do to replace the head liner, but a scribed length and some brass screws may be called for. Also over the driver's cabin I'm thinking about installing something of a small shelf so that I can install electronics (HAM radio, GPS etc) up there and have a little more storage space. Same goes for the area over the engine compartment. Leaving the only arched surface I don't have a template for the "living" area behind the sliding door.
TroySmith80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in home depot the other day and saw some very cheap veneer panels that i thought actually looked quite good. Has anyone tried using those? Any reason they'd be worse/better than real wood panels? (other than not as 'cool')
crusssmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Replacing side door panel Reply with quote

I'm glad this thread is still around! I've finally gotten around to replacing my '82 Westy side door panel after a manging to get at the door lock assmbly. My local H.D. has 4x8 sheets of 1/8 ok looking plywood. I bought a special tool to pop off the plastic rivets, however, none survived due to everything being dried out, and now I've got plastic bits down in my door panel! Glad I had my saftey glasses on, too. I traced the panel onto the ply sheet. Cut/drilled/sanded. I had to sand off the top layer at the top half inch or so to get it to fit in the top bracket. Now, it's all ready to insert, but the door is curved and my panel is not. I'm going to spray it wet, bend it, let it dry, stain/seal it. Then, screws or pops? Idea

BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Moot,
Man, that's a nice piece of fiddleback maple you used there, wide too! Is it sugar, red or western? Also, it looks like you did a two part stain, one to darken/accent the grain and then an amber ground. Am I correct? Also, what did you use for a topcoat?
As soon as I get this broken wrist out of it's cast I'm replacing the table in our 85 Weekender with a flamed maple as well. Don't know if I have anything wide enough for a one piece in the shop. I might have to resaw a bookmatch. Think a sunburst finish would be too over the top? 8^)
Nice job!
'85 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, Zetec #36, w/ Peloquin TBD
'83.5 Westfalia, full camper (we'll never forget you)
SpudlyHotPotato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: reddish wood interior Reply with quote

I wish I could say we did this, but our van came with someone else's nice work. I thought I'd post some pictures since the stain color of the interior wood we have in ours isn't yet represented in this thread - it's a dark color, stained like cherry wood maybe?

The glossy topcoat reflects and is shiny. The PO did the ceiling area over the bed, but not over the front seats.

And they did inside the side walls throughout, including the front door interiors. It makes a nice backdrop throughout. At first I'd thought a lighter color would've made it look more spacious, like house interior colors. But the color is really warm and looks particularly invitingly warm at night with the old stock non-LED light. I think the darker wood tones look really nice on a brown van.

I like how GreenMachineVW's doors don't have those plastic clips all over the door, and I'm jealous of the headliner over the driver and passenger seats.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spudly-
Is that a high dollar "Hal" westy from flagstaff?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SpudlyHotPotato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey TopBud, It IS from Flagstaff originally. We were calling it a "Vincent Van" because the guy who always posted those ads in Flagstaff was named Vincent.

We actually bought it from someone who bought it from him 9 months prior. Ironically there'd been two ads at the same time in the Samba - one was a fresh "Vincent van" ad and the other one had the same stripes down the side, but it was being sold by someone else locally. We recognized it as a "Vincent van" and found out all the Phx seller had done was buy it and drive it on one trip to NorCal. Afterward when a baby was due, they decided to sell it ... to us.

But it was definitely a high dollar van ... way more high dollar now, I keep making it worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
focusedcycling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Birch, stain it dark? How to attach when using screws? Reply with quote

Here it goes...

Have started making new front door panels for my 87 Westy. I have started with 1/4" birch that I will use my first attempt as a template that is tweaked to make the soon to be done panels just right. I used my original panels as a template, they weren't bad but both had some warping due to previous moisture issues. I have been wanting to do this for a while and decided to jump in while replacing the front door speakers.

This is the first attempt/template:

I have this above piece stained with 2 quick coats of something I had laying around, I like the finish but got to thinking, orig interior is grey, van is grey, I think it would be cool to go with a grey or black/ebony stain on the birch...

(Photoshop)

I will go to the paint store with some of the wood and get their opinion.

Question for those that went with a screw/bolt fastening system, what did you use in the metal holes of the door to thread into?
I want to have a silver metal screw head with a finishing washer like so:

But I got some of these pop style drywall anchors(pictured below) thinking they would work but they don't. They rely on the thickness of drywall which the sheet metal of door is much thinner.

(NOTE: Pictured dry wall fasteners DO NOT work)

Last question is about cutting and drilling the birch plywood...
I am going to get a much finer tooth blade for my jig saw and try taping over all the intended cut/drill areas to prevent splintering and what not. First run produced some of this kind of damage:

I will post more as I figure things out. So far my birch, screws and fasteners have all come from Home Depot from my first run and only run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
SpudlyHotPotato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful project! Whatever you use, I recommend adding extra stain or sealant to the edges particularly around the top. Our wood piece on the drivers side got some rain in through the side window on accident and the top of the wood started curling in a bit from the water.

"Those things are over kill and I want a set" - Jedi

"All my work explores the human desire or obsession for utopias, and the structure of all my works is the search for utopias lost and rediscovered." - Marguerite Young

www.bewilderknits.com
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpudlyHotPotato wrote:
Beautiful project! Whatever you use, I recommend adding extra stain or sealant to the edges particularly around the top. Our wood piece on the drivers side got some rain in through the side window on accident and the top of the wood started curling in a bit from the water.

This, and also put at least one coat (preferably two) of some sort of sealant on the back of the panel. Otherwise water will eventually damage it from the back. Ask me how I learned that...

Robyn
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpudlyHotPotato wrote:

Or something like this ...

Same channel as on the slider and the headliner.
SpudlyHotPotato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMachine, that is SLICK!

"Those things are over kill and I want a set" - Jedi

"All my work explores the human desire or obsession for utopias, and the structure of all my works is the search for utopias lost and rediscovered." - Marguerite Young

www.bewilderknits.com
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMachineVW wrote:

Or something like this ...

Same channel as on the slider and the headliner.

GW ... Looks Great! what wood did you use and how have you attached the panel(s)? ... does the channel , door pull, etc hold it in place?

Thanks,

John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: