Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper window (panel conversion style) seal question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Camper window (panel conversion style) seal question Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
Going to be installing my camper windows in the next couple of day and had a question about the gaskets and the use of adhesive that I didn't see addressed in any of the other threads I searched.

I have the Hehr Standard windows (not jalousie) and my bus is/was a panel, so these windows screw directly to the body of the bus.

Example pics of window type and gasket from vintagetrailersupply.com
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vintagetrailersupply.com recommends using silicon RTV for applying the seal. This would go where the gasket slides onto the metal lip of the window frame. My question is, should I also use any type of sealer on the back side of the gasket (where it mates to the body of the bus)? Or does the pressure of the window being screwed to the bus create a good enough seal for the gasket.

When I got the bus, the windows had already been removed. I could see remnants of the sealer on the window frames, but couldn't see where any sealer had ever been used on the actual window opening of the bus, so just wanted to see what others did.

Thanks for any input!

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...I'm not sure RTV is the best product for that application, I've never seen it stay stuck to vinyl for more than a few months. Urethane caulking or autobody seam sealer would be my first choices. I also haven't seen that seal used between the window frame and body, it's usually just between the opening window and window frame. The weapon of choice for camper converters was (and seemingly still is) putty tape between the frame and body, it's easy to apply and gets that thing out of the factory quick, crappy thing is it shrinks and dries up in just a few years, I guess once the warranty expires who cares? I've been using glass setting tape (AKA glaziers tape) for windows in campers and trailers for the last 15+ years with excellent results, it's easy to handle and super sticky, it's stretchy too and doesn't dry out like the putty, the bits that ooze out after can be carefully trimmed off with a razor on a cool day.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I had seen the putty string stuff in a few of the other threads, but it always seemed to be used to seal between the outer window frame and the recessed lip on stock window openings. IE....It always appeared to be used when sealing metal to metal, as would be done when installing camper windows in a non-panel bus. The camper windows used in non-panel buses have that additional removable outer frame that fits in the original window recess, but these outer frames are not used for the panel conversions.

If you look at the picture of the gasket above, you'll see it has a slit in it. The edge of the window frame sits in this slit, so the gasket is on the front and back side of the window frame. The bulbous part of the gasket seals against the window flap (the part that opens and closes), and the flat section ends up sandwiched between the window frame and the bus body. So there will definitely be a seal between the frame and body.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Busstop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Wolfsburg West also sells seals for HEHR windows including the one between glass and frame.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=231069411a
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Busstop wrote:
FYI Wolfsburg West also sells seals for HEHR windows including the one between glass and frame.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=231069411a

Yeah, but that's $17 x 5 windows =$85.

You can get these together for $64 from vintagetrailersupply.
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Hehr_Standard_Backframe_Gasket_p/vts-199.htm
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Hehr_Standard_Glass_Seal_p/vts-195.htm

24ft of each was easily enough for my 5 windows.

WW is good if you're just doing 1 or 2 though!

Any other input on whether I need some type of sealant between the gasket and bus body???

norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i installed 5 Hehr windows in my buddies panel that he took on the Shasta Snow Trip in 2011. I used the putty type seal in 3 of the windows. when that ran out, i used caulking on the rest. just regular clear bathroom caulk. non of them leaked. Unfortunately, i cannot speak for long term reliability of either sealing methods. The bus was sold to someone else after the trip.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I guess I'll just try some of the putty stuff first and see how that goes. It's not going to be a daily driver, so it shouldn't see to much rain anyways. Also, the interior is a ways away, so if I do get any leaks, I should be able to spot them easily and address them from there.

65Busstop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my windows quite awhile ago and Vintage Trailer did not sell the glass to frame seal then good to know they do now. I bought all my cranks and hardware from Vintage and very happy with them. I think I used dum dum tape to seal windows to frame. I know I used it between overhangs and body.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got lucky, the guy I bought the bus from had already bought most of the rebuild stuff (outer seals, cranks, new screws/nuts, and a tube of sealer) from vintage trailer supply. They were out of the glass seal when he had ordered, so that was the only thing I had to order from them. Spent a few nights cleaning the windows up and putting them back together so they are almost like new! Vintage trailer was out of the metal screen when I ordered the glass seal, so I used regular screen and cord with a few strategic crimps to hold the cord in (well see how well that holds up).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: