Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Still trackin oil leak
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
seamus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Still trackin oil leak Reply with quote

Still trying to locate a serious oil leak in a 68. The oil is dripping, alot, just after starting the engine. iT is coming from the split between the engine and trannycase.

I am sure that it is motor oil. I have replaced the main seal and fly wheel seal and just replaced the seals on the oil cooler, but still leaking. There is oil in the tranny case, but the clutch and flywheel look clean.

SOmeone said a cam plug. What is that and where is it located?

Thanks for anythoughts on this.
jim
nodtobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Still trackin oil leak Reply with quote

The cam plug is located directly beneath your rear main seal(where the crankshaft is located) and it is a small nickel or quarter sized plug usually metal and it can leak or blow out or just not be sitting in there correctly when the case halves were put together. Also on the #3 side of the case behind where the flywheel sits, check the case for a crack on the case, there is a raised section in that area where that #3cylinder sits on the other side and it tends to be a weak point in the case. They usually get cracks there. Hopefully that is not the case just clean the area up good and check it out. How tight did you torque the nuts holding the engine to the tranny? Good luck anthony
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Still trackin oil leak Reply with quote

You said that the oil cooler sesals had been replaced, but did you reinstall the old oil cooler. I had the SAME problem. I tested the cooler and it seemed fine, so I just replaced the seals. Still had the same old leak. It was a lot of oil too. I had to remove the engine again and replace the oil cooler. Fixed the leak.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Still trackin oil leak Reply with quote

Hi, from you're description, I'll bet it's still the rear main seal. You have to be VERY VERY careful when you intall that damned thing, or it will leak gobs. Had a 73 super that I had to replace the seal 3 $*!@&#&*# times before I got it right. It leaks on to the flyweel too, makes the clutch spin.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Still trackin oil leak Reply with quote

I thought that the flywheel and clutch looked clean.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: