Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heater core replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELP. Today I am putting the new foam on all the flaps which I cleaned. I have Ben's pics & instructions which were great help taking the dash off. I am not looking for more specific pictures of where/how the foam goes on, am trying to follow the Bentley but it's not much help.

Is there someplace that has detailed pics of taking apart/putting the heater unit all back together?? Pray . I know I can put it back together but of course I need to do it VW's way Confused Thanks in advance

Edi: I bought 3/16" X 1 1/4" closed cell adhesive backed weatherstripping in a roll. I couldn't find 1" wide so I trimed where needed. I figured they didn't have closed cell foam 30 years ago and because it doesn't absorb moisture, I thought it was a good idea to use closed cell. Karl suggested the 3/16" thickness and it sure seems to match the depth of the flaps. I'm going to have lots left over and I'm sure I'll find other applications for it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, Friday, I've figured out and put the complete heater unit all back together (well except for the cables) with nothing left over! Taken me all day but I slowly figured it out. Can't really go astray as everything can only go one place!

BUT: the lower flaps for the driver's and passenger's feet keeps falling out as they face down. I know that I very carefully took it apart and made a zip lock for everything. All that is back together BUT lower flaps don't stay put! On Ben's pictures #36 & 37 there appears to be some kind of slide that goes in the groove under the flap rod? Is this so? I can't have had them. Most flaps were rustyish and stiff. Now with all cleaned and lubricated that bottom flap keeps falling down. With the dash plastic lower face on, it still allows the flap rod to fall down.

I know that once I re-attach the cables there will be some support on the right side, but I don't believe that is a satisfactory solution. I can jury rig a very small piece of rubber as a preventor IF I HAVE TO (shades of Red Green's Prayer For Men).

So what don't I have? yeh yeh I know no brains, no $$$ but what specifically for that area of the heating unit! I will hold off putting back into Scooby until Monday as next time I will be here. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are four little sliding pieces that clip in there...then the floor director panel slides over and holds them securely in place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's what's missing. All 4 slides. I put all parts from heater core in 1 zip lock bag and labelled it. Are they replaceable? I have jury-rigged a solution but would prefer to have the proper sliders. Is there a part number? Anyone carry them?

It's all ready to go back on the firewall. Tested motor first and works fine. Another problem I "may have" is that the knob that goes on the front of the dash has separated from it's base(to the left of the cables controls).

Having some problems identifying which Bentley pages to use. Can only find pictures for Diesel (which are somewhat of a help) and air Cooled. The pics do help BUT they don't quite match the water cooled. Bentley very helpful re cable replacement BUT 80.10 talks about a "Seal" to coat with D17.???? (between the bottom of the flap housing and the top of the housing cover). I'm very confused. Confused I used Ben's excellent pics to get it all back together and everything fits well.

I'm just worried and somewhat confused by Bentley. Covers Air Cooled and Diesel but no Water Cooled. My heater unit is from 83.5 water cooled. Can anyone help?

When I was removing the dash, tape was used between the heater outlets at the windshield to the ventilation outlets (both L & R). Guess I have to get those two Outlet Gaskets as well.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for those clips. I am pretty confident you had them on disassembly or the rod simply would not have remained in place. They're black plastic if that helps.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I hear you, as the flap didn't fall out before but it was fairly seized up with crud. Cleaned up, oiled up and falling out repeatedly. I just don't have them and I was very careful and how would I lose 4 of them. Brick wall As I've mentionned I've jury rigged it pretty good for the time being.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: