Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

window metal replacement help please and other rust question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: window metal replacement help please and other rust question Reply with quote

My bus has some window issues, there is rust on the outside window screen frame. I am aware of the kf replacement piece available. My concern however is how to address the inside of the frame that butts up against the dash. What do you do to address if that small lip has rust decay? If you have a few minutes to look at my project link and pass some info on, i would be greatful. I have a few rust issue repair questions. The link is below.
Thanks,
Spotty

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495151
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure gerson make the inner piece also

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
pretty sure gerson make the inner piece also

Thanks, in your opinion what is the best way to reach gerson? I sent him a pm message here through the site. Is he in the US or Europe?
Thanks,
Spitty
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

call him or contact ronnie(splitpile) i know they work together on stuff

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerson is in Colombia. Splitpile (Ronnie) and others sell his parts in the US.
The inner lip on the windshield opening is part of the dash. You can fabricate as mich as you need and splice it in or you can replace the whole dash with a clip. This one I did last year went pretty far into the dash and I had to replace a lot of metal. I cut it all out then replaced metal from the inside out. The rest of the dash I kept in og paint.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Gerson is in Colombia. Splitpile (Ronnie) and others sell his parts in the US.
The inner lip on the windshield opening is part of the dash. You can fabricate as mich as you need and splice it in or you can replace the whole dash with a clip. This one I did last year went pretty far into the dash and I had to replace a lot of metal. I cut it all out then replaced metal from the inside out. The rest of the dash I kept in og paint.

Hey Volksaddict,
Thank you for the pictures and the information. I am looking at trying to buy a donor dash. Any idea what would be a fair price to pay? My thought is it may be easier to just replace the whole dash, or use the donor dash and cut off what I need. The rest of my dash is in great shape, so it would be a shame to actually take it out. I am also going to find out if KB makes the piece, so I may not have to fabricate it from scratch.

Anyone else care to chime in about a fair price for a donor deluxe dash in good shape?

Thanks,
Spitty
mcarls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking the thing to do would be to get the Gerson outer metal and then find someone to fab patches for your dash. You shouldn't have to buy an actual dash - just find someone skilled like the person who did the work on that response (unless you know how). I wish I could do that kind of work myself, but fortunately I have a friend who is very talented at metal work, and it shouldn't require any special metal to make the patches. Then again I'm no expert...
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the dash repair pieces you see welded in from scrap metal, they're not that complicated. You can do it in 2 pieces and weld them together if you like. I can't imagine your's is rusted further into the dash than that one was. I didn't want to loose my un molested og paint dash, or deal with all the wiring and attach points that a dach clip entails. Important part is to get a good smooth butt weld across the dash that you can clean up without much filler. If you can do that then fabbing a couple bent up pieces of metal should be no problem.
I also had to repair the lip on the outside too, part of the nose panel that goes under the gerson part. How's yours?
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
I made the dash repair pieces you see welded in from scrap metal, they're not that complicated. You can do it in 2 pieces and weld them together if you like. I can't imagine your's is rusted further into the dash than that one was. I didn't want to loose my un molested og paint dash, or deal with all the wiring and attach points that a dach clip entails. Important part is to get a good smooth butt weld across the dash that you can clean up without much filler. If you can do that then fabbing a couple bent up pieces of metal should be no problem.
I also had to repair the lip on the outside too, part of the nose panel that goes under the gerson part. How's yours?

Thank you, I will more than likely have this done by a pro, as I am a novice, but I will wait and see how I do on the floor after I take a welding class. Thanks for the information about fixing that section of the dash/window area.
I'm pretty sure the lip on my bus is ok I think, it is not that severely rusted. I will know more when I take out the rusted section of window screen. I do not plan on doing that until I have the replacement metal for the window section in hand.
Spitty
UncleDannie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local college offered a beginners welding class. They used arc welding at first, then progressed to wire-feed, which is what you want. You can purchase a fairly good wire-feed that uses gas from Harbor Freight, for a really reasonable price. You're not welding as a pro, day in and day out, so it will serve you well. You can also buy a used one from the classified ads in your local paper or even from eBay. They are ridiculously easy to learn and operate, after some practice.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
Brendel20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to welding too. I bought Eastwood's 110v mig welder. It has infinite heat adjust which lets you dial in the heat on sheet metal. It's worth a little extra coin. Buy it...you won't be disappointed. I've used this unit on all my work so far with good results. Most welders only have so many settings for heat.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Shameless plug- The op might be interested in this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1271187
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: