Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken fuel pump flange...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocWible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Broken fuel pump flange... Reply with quote

Ok, so I was trying to take the flange out while inspecting my fuel pump and its shaft broke in half Embarassed , and half is still down inside engine. Evil or Very Mad

Is there any way to get this out without taking the engine out/apart? Question

I tried grabbing it with some needle nose pliers, but to no avail... Any help would be greatly apprecaited.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually they won't come out...it'll keep breaking as you get ahold of a piece.
If you had a tool that could grab it internally through the pushrods hole, you'd be set. I used to have a tool, kinda like a collet that would expand after you inserted it in a bore and tightens it up...

I've been trying to remove one from a case that is split and it just break the more I try to remove it. I even tried punching it out from the bottom...still jammed in there, so I know they can really get stuck pretty good.

So, you may try to search for a tool that will grab it internally, or you may be tearing the engine apart to get it. Best of luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DocWible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I break it apart would I be able to then suck the pieces out with the shopvac? Or am I screwed if the pieces fall? Mad
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't be certain that you'll be able to vac it all out.
You could try using a thread tap, dip it in grease and thread it down the hole and try pulling.... Just try your best to pull along the same plane as the fuel pump base... Maybe it will come out that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a Search on this site, this has happened to a bunch of us (including me). There are various fixes posted.

I tried screwing in a tap or bolt into the broken part and pulling with a vise-grip, but that didn't work for me. I ended up chiseling the broken piece out, retrieving the pieces after removing the oil strainer plate, and flushing with oil.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rubadubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened to me too.
Take a 3" 5/16th bolt and put a nut on it. Turn the nut til its about 2 3/4" on the bolt. Carefully tap the broken flange for 5/16. You don't have to tap too deep, just enough to get a good grip for the bolt. Put a fender washer over the nut and turn the bolt into the broken flange. Once the bolt has a good grip, turn the nut against the fender washer (which sits over the hole), It will slowly pull the flange easily out. I was stressed about it too, but it took me all of ten minutes. Good luck.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubadubdub wrote:
Take a 3" 5/16th bolt and put a nut on it. Turn the nut til its about 2 3/4" on the bolt. Carefully tap the broken flange for 5/16. You don't have to tap too deep, just enough to get a good grip for the bolt. Put a fender washer over the nut and turn the bolt into the broken flange. Once the bolt has a good grip, turn the nut against the fender washer (which sits over the hole), It will slowly pull the flange easily out. I was stressed about it too, but it took me all of ten minutes. Good luck.

Extremely clever. I read it five times before it made sense. But it does now and it's very clever.

crvc
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something like a toggle-bolt?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet...ogId=10053

Max
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubadubdub wrote:

I use a similar method with all thread and two nuts locked together. I keep the home made tool in my tool box
Photos included FYI

if you don't have 5/16" use M8

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fender or large diameter washer with nut pulls out the allthread and the stuck piece

if you don't tap it deep enough then the a little piece can bust off, look close at the last photo. it eventually comes out with an oil change Smile

Last edited by notsnarb on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

facinating. a generator in correct clocking position.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
rubadubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting a picture!
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

branston wrote:
rubadubdub wrote:

I use a similar method with all thread and two nuts locked together. I keep the home made tool in my tool box
Photos included FYI

if you don't have 5/16" use M8

Fender or large diameter washer with nut pulls out the allthread and the stuck piece

if you don't tap it deep enough then the a little piece can bust off, look close at the last photo. it eventually comes out with an oil change Smile

Do I have an abnormal stand or flange? I ask because I needed to use a 3/8th tap and a piece of 3/8" ready rod to accomplish this, not 5/16(had no bite). I had the engine out of the Bus and drained of oil so I decided to turn the whole shootin' match over so I didn't contaminate the engine with dust etc. Just to be sure I made an adapter for my shop vac to that I could use a piece of fuel hose as a mini suction hose.

This thread saved me a huge headache, so thanks to all who responded!

A pic of what came out:

notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great feeling when it comes out, isn't it?

no you got it right. My bad it should have read 3/8" or 10mm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: