Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmoyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to stir up this issue, but the human body uses an evaporative cooling system as well, so the more air moving over the skin, the cooler we actually are. That's why a fan in a hot room makes you feel cooler. Just the moving air does help.

THAT SAID! My Vanagon A/C never cooled my van to my wife's satisfaction. Today we drove it across town with the new Suby SVX it and damn, what a difference. She was magically ok with the cost of the upgrade.

I was considering removing the vent unit after reading this entire thread last night but just got Stella back yesterday with the new engine. I see no reason to remove it now!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typhon2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmoyle wrote:
Not to stir up this issue, but the human body uses an evaporative cooling system as well, so the more air moving over the skin, the cooler we actually are. That's why a fan in a hot room makes you feel cooler. Just the moving air does help.

THAT SAID! My Vanagon A/C never cooled my van to my wife's satisfaction. Today we drove it across town with the new Suby SVX it and damn, what a difference. She was magically ok with the cost of the upgrade.

I was considering removing the vent unit after reading this entire thread last night but just got Stella back yesterday with the new engine. I see no reason to remove it now!

Oooh, that's good to know. So a Suby-upgraded engine may help the A/C eh? <takes notes for future reference> Occurs to me, that jives with my parents' experience: they have an '85 Westy, and noticed a substantial improvement in the A/C performance when they recently swapped out the original 1.9l with one of the GoWesty rebuilds.

That said.... There's STILL reason to remove the plenum! More headroom over the rear seat. More available space in the 'spice rack' or whatever people call the long storage tray. And still a more efficient A/C: without the plenum, you can run it at lower power for the same cooling effect. You've got nothing to lose by getting rid of the plenum (except the plenum), but still have stuff to gain. Better cooling is only one among several benefits. Very Happy
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
See the pic below for a fix I did on the broken plenum plastic mounting brackets...

Thanks; I'll certainly keep that fix in mind. But, despite the fact that I'll be storing the plenum, it's safe to say that the plenum is staying out of my van. Considering the van is mine till death do us part, it's basically a permanent plenumectomy. Very Happy

gmoyle wrote:

That's very true. That's why my house A/C is set to 87 (89-90 if I leave for a week or more) with floor and ceiling fans running. It's also why the plenum was removed; MUCH more air gets to the front of the van now.

Typhon2222 wrote:

That said.... There's STILL reason to remove the plenum! More headroom over the rear seat. More available space in the 'spice rack' or whatever people call the long storage tray. And still a more efficient A/C: without the plenum, you can run it at lower power for the same cooling effect. You've got nothing to lose by getting rid of the plenum (except the plenum), but still have stuff to gain. Better cooling is only one among several benefits. Very Happy

Sh*t, you're telling me!! I drove the van down to a fabric store (about 7 miles away) several days ago (first time driving the van since removal); partially on the freeway there, streets coming back. Ran the A/C at speed 3 all the way to the store. Coming back, I actually turned it down to speed 2 and was quite comfy... in Phoenix... with it over 100° out. To recap: Never did I turn the fan on to 4 that day, and I actually used speed 2... for the first time since buying the van!!! Shocked Dancing Very Happy Very Happy And I love the fact that I no longer bash my head against that thing; i.e. I can now sit straight up in the rear seat!

Anyway, I had a coupon for Harbor Freight; bought a cheap (and I mean cheap!) router and just finished the new vent grille yesterday. Most importantly, the airflow dropped by only 5 mph at the most at the vent. As soon as I get it repainted (long story Rolling Eyes ) and figure out the best way to mount it, I'll post up some photos. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vent grille/cover is now in place:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(couldn't find an exact match, light or dark, for spray paint Confused )

...and, of course, so is the new rope light:

Airflow up front on speed 3 dropped by only 2 mph at the most; it is still quite windy up there. So, Typhon, if you'd like me to make you a grille, let me know.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! Love the lights, too. Inspires me to make mine look a little more finished but first comes new exhaust to pass inspection. I hate it when things get bumped down the list.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Great job! Love the lights, too. Inspires me to make mine look a little more finished but first comes new exhaust to pass inspection. I hate it when things get bumped down the list.

Thanks! If you'd like me to make you a grille (or just the frame), just say the word. Wink

Also, I was in the process of stashing that plenum away and Idea . I removed the rubber trim from the back of it and stuffed it into the cabinet groove:

Doesn't look half bad. So, there's another inexpensive (free!) idea for filling the groove in with something that easily fits and matches. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
Typhon2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Thanks; I'll certainly keep that fix in mind. But, despite the fact that I'll be storing the plenum, it's safe to say that the plenum is staying out of my van. Considering the van is mine till death do us part, it's basically a permanent plenumectomy. Very Happy
Hah! Plenumectomy indeed. Very Happy

Kam, the grille looks lovely! Yesh indeedy, I'd love one. I may spray paint it vibrant blue, since that's the color we've tried to use for other accents inside Basil. I'll send you a PM with details.

And kudos to you for using the rubber trim from the back of the plenum to stuff into the exposed slot! The rope lights are a sassy idea, but that gray rubber trim looks awesome. Applause

I threw the plenum away a year ago, so not an option for us. I may just paint the slot. Maybe blue too? -- who knows!

When will you start a new thread with your assembled document? Cool
gmoyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any step by steps instructions for a Plenumectomy? I started digging in today during my lunch hour and it looks like you have to take half the van apart. Ended by giving up and pulling the top mattresses off and washing them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typhon2222 wrote:

When will you start a new thread with your assembled document? Cool

When I return from San Diego. Wink

gmoyle wrote:
Are there any step by steps instructions for a Plenumectomy? I started digging in today during my lunch hour and it looks like you have to take half the van apart. Ended by giving up and pulling the top mattresses off and washing them.

It's not step-by-step and it's not 100% complete yet (just need to add the grille and groove filler tips), but this document tells you the basics of what you need to remove to get the plenum out: http://www.oldbluesblog.com/files/RemovingthePlenum.pdf . The Bentley Service Manual also tells you what you need to do. Well worth the trouble of taking it out!

Edit: PDF link updated (also, PDF is complete).
2016 Golf GTI S

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Typhon2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmoyle wrote:

I'm inept mechanically, but I followed the Bentley (was the first time I had ever consulted it for ANYTHING) and it made the whole process clear.

Kam, I just looked over your document. Great stuff! Super-helpful. I wish I'd had your instructions along with the Bentley, especially the tip to "place a couple of boxes on top of the stove and rear table to support the assembly [the long "spice rack" tray] while you work; the light’s wires will prevent the assembly from dropping far enough for the whole assembly to rest on the stove."

I remember being shocked when I realized that those light wires running along/through the spice rack meant I couldn't rest it on the kitchen cabinet while working. I had to hold it up with one hand, while using the other hand to grab tin cans of food from the manhole cupboard and stacking them up to form two leaning towers of pisa on top of which I carefully balanced the dangling tray. Some boxes in advance would have made it a lot easier. Very Happy
Typhon2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmoyle wrote:

Gmoyle, gotten around to a full Plenumectomy yet? You won't regret it! Very Happy
gmoyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typhon2222 wrote:

Gmoyle, gotten around to a full Plenumectomy yet? You won't regret it! Very Happy

Why yes I did. I found that one of my AC brackets was missing a bolt and the plenum was actually holding it up. Found a matching bolt, pulled out the speaker, stuck my hand in there and managed to get it mounted to the upper bunk. Sqeak free and windy up front now.

I would agree that the air does not feel as cold, but the breeze is oh so nice.

Now I just need to fix the Vanagon Hot Foot problem. When running the A/C and pulling up a hill, when that radiator fan kicks in, its like the heater is on full blast (even with the vents closed). The hot air at the feet and the A/C definitely have a battle at that point.

It's kinda funny. The engine is running hotter, so the radiator fan runs making the van hotter, so I crank up the ac... just a vicious circle.

BUT. I can say I threw away the old brittle and cracking plenum and I don't regret it!