Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Do You Carry for Parts and Spares?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splits-n-scoots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also carry a fuel pump,enough coiled up copper tubing to run a makeshift fuel line and 6ft of fuel hose,a pre set up distributor & clamp and a pre dialed in carb.sealed up in a bag,a used pressure plate&clutch and an spare T.O bearing/clips and shaft(it all fits in the suitcase) a small hydraulic floor jack and a roll of TP. Don't laugh,it sucks to be without these things when needed. Impervize,overcome and leave nobody behind.
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-LeatherCraft-1173-32-...amp;sr=1-2

Also a good pouch!

Great forum!
mtwrench540
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: tool kit Reply with quote

i found it strange that no one mentioned a fan belt and tools to change same,if this breaks you areDEAD IN THE WATER,try to find belt in middle of nowhere Embarassed cause it is a simple job yet so critical!
87 wolfsberg,74 181w/1915 and lots of patina! learned to fix vw's from hot vw mag in 1964,VWOA instructor,DSM,69 to73,service mgr at different porsche-audi dealers etc,etc,now retired!!! first vw new 64,transplanted 356 eng in 65,400characters are not enough space!!
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: tool kit Reply with quote

mtwrench540 wrote:
i found it strange that no one mentioned a fan belt and tools to change same,if this breaks you areDEAD IN THE WATER,try to find belt in middle of nowhere Embarassed cause it is a simple job yet so critical!

Spare belt was listed (Item 22) in the OP first post
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: tools carried in my thing Reply with quote

all i carry is a spare tire....vw jack....lug wrench.....and one long thin screwdriver...that's it !!!.....you can't be afraid !!!...no wrenches or any other tools of any kind.....and yes, i do drive the snot out of it too !!!...i don't beat on it, but i don't baby it either....i'll only fix what needs fixing...i don't look for unecessary things to do.....my well equipped shop has everything needed to keep the thing running nicely....if it stops running for any reason, a flatbed is just a phone call away !!! Very Happy
willieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's cool if you don't stray too far from home...however I'll be traveling 1800 miles, some of which is quite remote, quite unforgiving landscape in an unknown unproven thing. I think it's prudent to include a fundamental tool kit and some key parts and pieces. A spare fan belt could save you a very crappy day!
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a pile of stuff, This is insurance, if I just had the regular tool kit and a fan belt, I would break down immediately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea to carry a good of spares parts especially when doing long distances. Even if you don't do your own repairs, availability of said parts may be iffy in the middle of nowhere.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned some pretty rough vehicles in the past. There are many times I've performed roadside repairs and been on my way in the time it would have taken the flatbed to arrive.

As a "car guy" who likes to work on his own vehicles, I've always considered being towed a little degrading.
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
bucko wrote:
Was a flashlight mentioned? I remember sending some of you one of those clip type lamps that plug into the Thing accesory socket. It contained about 10 feet of cord to allow light at each of the four wheels.

Flashlight to light up the engine compartment at night.

Those headband (miner style) kind are great -- it points where you look, hands-free!

I have one of these miner lights and use them, I just keep the batteries out of them until use. If it's real cold, you can warm them in your hand and they work better.

Also handy is a flashlight that doubles as a screwdriver, you can find them on E-bay for about 6.00.

I have a friend who carries two sets of connectors and a brakeline (metal) that has been squiggled so it can be bent, compressed, etc.

I have been looking at modifying the jack stand that comes with the Citroen DS and adding a leg to it that would fold, so that the jack stand lies jflat or can be strapped to the side of the trunk

What about a 12V air compressor? They are small.

And a couple rags/paper towels flattened.
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splits-n-scoots wrote:
I also carry a fuel pump,enough coiled up copper tubing to run a makeshift fuel line and 6ft of fuel hose,a pre set up distributor & clamp and a pre dialed in carb.sealed up in a bag,a used pressure plate&clutch and an spare T.O bearing/clips and shaft(it all fits in the suitcase) a small hydraulic floor jack and a roll of TP. Don't laugh,it sucks to be without these things when needed. .

Especially the TP!
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: tool kit Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
mtwrench540 wrote:

Spare belt was listed (Item 22) in the OP first post

Just got back from a 500+ mile round trip to a show/vacation/visit the daughter. Had spare this and that, but at about mile 400 I found I should have packed some hardware!

Red light comes on, I pull off interstate and find the generator pulley not quite where it oughta be! The nut had no thread at all. Shaft was okay, but nut just could not hold. Tried making safety wire from road trash tire wires with no luck. After a bit of thought, the front shock lower mount offered assistance. Same thread size, and my 10" adjustable wrench got the job done.

I will pack some spare nuts bolts and screws in the morning!
baja kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys I have been grabbing ideas from this list getting my off road tool kit together and one thing you guys failed to mention and its hard to believe after three pages of posts but a few bottles of water never hurt. cant believe no one thought of this one... anyways just another thing to throw in your tool kit!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243718
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja kid wrote:
Hey guys I have been grabbing ideas from this list getting my off road tool kit together and one thing you guys failed to mention and its hard to believe after three pages of posts but a few bottles of water never hurt. cant believe no one thought of this one... anyways just another thing to throw in your tool kit!!

Water?
Water?
We don't need no stinking water!

Real Volkswagens don't need no water! Wink
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do when the VW is broke down in the middle of nowhere and youve got nuthin to drink!
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja kid wrote:
… its hard to believe after three pages of posts but a few bottles of water never hurt. cant believe no one thought of this one ...

You stole my thunder! I was going to mention it in the "What Do You Carry in the Disaster Kit" topic, or maybe the "Navigating the post-E.M.P. Apocalyptic Wasteland" topic. Or even the "Expedition to Hell" thread. But when I was preoccupied with wrenches, screwdrivers and light bulbs, water didn't seem to enter my mind.
baja kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
baja kid wrote:
… its hard to believe after three pages of posts but a few bottles of water never hurt. cant believe no one thought of this one ...

You stole my thunder! I was going to mention it in the "What Do You Carry in the Disaster Kit" topic, or maybe the "Navigating the post-E.M.P. Apocalyptic Wasteland" topic. Or even the "Expedition to Hell" thread. But when I was preoccupied with wrenches, screwdrivers and light bulbs, water didn't seem to enter my mind.

sorry for stealing your thunder but some times the most obvious gos over looked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243718
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
you do when the VW is broke down in the middle of nowhere and youve got nuthin to drink!

I remember those days Very Happy

I actually grew up in the desert! Here in Georgia though, lack of water ain't really a big concern.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja kid wrote:
… some times the most obvious goes over looked …

In this case it was my sarcasm that was overlooked. Wink
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't drive more than 40 or 50 miles in any direction from home....I take nothing with me and all spares and supplies stay in the garage where I can easily get to them...I always do a "pre flight" inspection before going anywhere....I refuse to rebuild it on the side of the road...if I drive any farther than 50 miles, it certainly won't be in the Thing....not that I don't trust it (I certainly do), but it does not provide my aching back much comfort...I have physical limits and don't need to be beat up by driving my Thing too far....that's what luxury cars are for.....but I do carry a first aid kit and fire extinguisher on board. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: