Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The source of all my problems: a battery disconnect switch!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: The source of all my problems: a battery disconnect switch! Reply with quote

It started last summer as the car would bog when I tried to merge into high speed traffic by pressing down on the accelerator. I thought there was a fuel problem, so I took out the tank and cleaned it and replaced the sock filter. It helped a little, but not much.

Then I noticed the lights were dim and the horn was faint, so I cleaned the ground strap contact, and that helped a little, but not much. Then recently the battery wouldn't start the car every once in a while, so after checking the voltage regulator I bought a new battery. It started up nicely. But a week later, the new battery wouldn't start the car either. So I charged up the battery again, but today it still wouldn't start the car. I took it to Autozone and they said the battery was fine.

I got underneath the car and cleaned all the solenoid connections and tightened them up. Still no luck. So I got out the idiot book and started going through the steps one by one. Cleaned the battery terminals really well.

And then I thought, you know, I have this battery disconnect thing that's been on the car for seven years. I never actually turn the green handle because it's too inconvenient to get under the seat and do that every time I park the car. But what would happen if I just took it off and connected the ground strap directly to the battery?

What would happen, is that all my problems were solved in one shot. The battery starts the car. The lights are bright. The car doesn't bog any more under heavy acceleration. All because this thing was throttling the voltage to the ignition and starter and the rest of the car.

Who would have guessed?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good sleuthing! Shame on that device for causing any resistance whatsoever...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test that battery disconnect switch, it is probably fine......your car was merely protesting over the installation of a non-original part. Nice catch.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Battery Dis-connect Reply with quote

Wow, I have one of those Dis-connects in my car to. I'm gonna remove it tomorrow and see if there's any difference in engine performance, I've been disapointed in the 4th gear performance. so I'm gonna check it out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: