Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Year of Manufacture Plates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the plates have not been registered on the vehicle the whole time and you do not have proof that they were originally on the car (title or old registration) you will have to go through the YOM program to get them on the car. If going through the YOM program you will have to have the 65 sticker as it is a 65 model year vehicle.

Even though my bus is an Oct 62 build DMV said I must have 63 black plates.

The only thing I would worry about is that you are NOT supposed to restore plates. Modification (restoration) may render the plates unusable.
SandClemente
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Restoration of plates Reply with quote

I figured with the slow down in processing time, and closed 1 day a week etc at DMV, it was going to take a while to get final approval from Sacramento on the black plates for my 69 Single Cab. So, as soon as they (local DMV office) approved the black plates, photocopied them, and gave me the red sticker for the back window, I sent them off to a restorer in TN. Plates were back long before the 4 months it took DMV to clear my plate and send me the tags etc. Just don't take restored plate into DMV. AAA was helpful in checking plate to verify it was clear.
woodslat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, correctly restored plates are no problem. It's when the colors aren't right.

In response to hot rodders in the late 1950's California put this in the vehicle code in 1959:

4464. No person shall display upon a vehicle a license plate altered from its original markings.

Added Ch. 1478, Stats. 1959. Effective September 18, 1959.

As the intended target of the legislation was the guy who painted his plate all black or purple or something weird it offers no guidance as to restored plates.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodslat wrote:
As far as I know, correctly restored plates are no problem. It's when the colors aren't right.

Right on the money... mine are restored, and the only thing the DMV said was "Wow, these are really nice plates". Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. I will cruise my black plates with a 1965 sticker and I'll use a mickey mouse plate for 2012.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2RUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the whole YOM thing. Had a police officer do a vin verification, went to dmv Feb 16th I believe and got the title and yom stickers with metal tags in less than a month. That was fast...
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samba friends,

I just wanted to pass this on. I recently featured an article that explains the CA YOM process.

http://1967beetle.com/registering-black-plates
aircooledartifacts.com

Follow our restoration work on Instagram.
Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of plates Reply with quote

SandClemente wrote:
I figured with the slow down in processing time, and closed 1 day a week etc at DMV, it was going to take a while to get final approval from Sacramento on the black plates for my 69 Single Cab. So, as soon as they (local DMV office) approved the black plates, photocopied them, and gave me the red sticker for the back window, I sent them off to a restorer in TN. Plates were back long before the 4 months it took DMV to clear my plate and send me the tags etc. Just don't take restored plate into DMV. AAA was helpful in checking plate to verify it was clear.

Would you be able to pass onto me here or in a PM the contact info for the place in TN. that restored your plate?

I actually have only one original black/yellow CA plate,but it got approved because I told the guy at the DMV that I only took one off and the other was on my bus at home.

I had an officer sign off on the VIN verification and the plate at my house (he only was concerned with the one plate). In a streak of luck the guy at the DMV believed me and photocopied the one plate and handed it back and ran the paperwork. The plate was approved and I have the one plate with the title all matched to my bus. This mainly was because I had an old registration card from 1966 found in the bus that linked the plate to the VIN of the bus and the name on the registration matched my bill of sale, it was the guys I bought it from.

ANYWAY........... I want to get the plate restored even if I only have one. Ideally, I want to find a place that will make me one for the front, so I have two. Does anyone know if a place that will make me a single plate if I have one original? If not I just will rock the back plate. I heard there were places but then heard California Legislation passed a law recently this past spring.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Spitty
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of plates Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
... I want to get the plate restored even if I only have one. Ideally, I want to find a place that will make me one for the front, so I have two...Any help is appreciated.

I've had both places do restorations and Darryl's make a plate. Here is Darryl's website:

http://www.darrylsplates.com/

He will make you a resin copy that is indiscernible from original.

While yours is getting redone you should make two color foto copies at a FedEx Office, cut them out, and laminate them all at FedEx Office. Put those on your bus while yours is being redone and the new one made.

1 1/2 years ago I got a duplicate made from this place.

http://www.licenseplates.tv/?gclid=CJT909yG4LECFWQbQgodMTMACg

I've since heard they won't ship to California but I don't know first hand. Theirs are aluminum and are virtually perfect copies. (mine was)
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Licenseplates.tv no longer makes CA plates. I had them make one a few years ago and it was very high quality (which I think is why they got banned).
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, California is such a PITA. No wonder they are in financial straits with all that unnecessary bureaucracy. Rolling Eyes

Here in New Mexico, you take your YOM plate to the MVD, fill out the form, pay the one time $20 fee, and that plate is good to go, and you just slap it on and go. Very Happy
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of plates Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
SandClemente wrote:

Would you be able to pass onto me here or in a PM the contact info for the place in TN. that restored your plate?

I actually have only one original black/yellow CA plate,but it got approved because I told the guy at the DMV that I only took one off and the other was on my bus at home.

I had an officer sign off on the VIN verification and the plate at my house (he only was concerned with the one plate). In a streak of luck the guy at the DMV believed me and photocopied the one plate and handed it back and ran the paperwork. The plate was approved and I have the one plate with the title all matched to my bus. This mainly was because I had an old registration card from 1966 found in the bus that linked the plate to the VIN of the bus and the name on the registration matched my bill of sale, it was the guys I bought it from.

ANYWAY........... I want to get the plate restored even if I only have one. Ideally, I want to find a place that will make me one for the front, so I have two. Does anyone know if a place that will make me a single plate if I have one original? If not I just will rock the back plate. I heard there were places but then heard California Legislation passed a law recently this past spring.

Any help is appreciated.

That would be Brian at Finish Your Plates.
http://www.finishyourplates.com

Thanks,
Spitty

aircooledartifacts.com

Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of plates Reply with quote

Quote:

Spitty

That would be Brian at Finish Your Plates.
http://www.finishyourplates.com
aircooledartifacts.com

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=224505

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495088
panelant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my pair of '60 tabbed '56 plates (commercial lettering) and went to the dmv on July 20. Paid $45 to an employee that barely spoke a word to me. I was given a temp paper "plate" to tape to my rear window that had me expecting 90 days.

I got my 2 metal tabs and the month and year sticker August 9th! Wow and Painless is all I can say!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panelant wrote:
I got my pair of '60 tabbed '56 plates (commercial lettering) and went to the dmv on July 20. Paid $45 to an employee that barely spoke a word to me. I was given a temp paper "plate" to tape to my rear window that had me expecting 90 days.

I got my 2 metal tabs and the month and year sticker August 9th! Wow and Painless is all I can say!

Hi, I'm confused. Is the CA DMV now selling plates that match the original style of the year plate? I am trying to get a 1966 style black and yellow plate made. If I can do it for around $45 dollars, that would be great since I only have one original and I was looking to find a place that would make me one additional plate and I need to get my one original I have restored. How do the plates look? Do they match the style and lettering of the original and the colors look good?

On a side note, someone PM me with some info about the Pomona Swap Meet. I checked on their website and noticed an add for a plate maker. It looks like the place makes CA original style metal plates. The part that is hard to swallow is the $160 cost for one.

http://www.cr8-one.com/

I am square with the DMV, but I just have one plate. I don't want the hassle of rolling with only one plate but I want to keep the original plate. That said, if I can't find a place to make me a metal one for cheaper than $160, I might have to just not roll the original plate, unless the CA DMV is now reproducing the original style plates.

Has anyone else done what Panelant mentioned? Any pictures to share? I know some are skeptical about posting a plate. If someone has one, what if you covered up half of the plate with a piece of paper and only had a photo of half of the plate. I would really like to see the correct year plate from the DMV.

Thanks,
Spitty
BorisGrishenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have heard the CA state assembly was discussing a bill to create an option for newly manufactured black plates (and other older styles) but they would be new numbers and would be made with the modern reflective materials and such. I don't know where it's gone, haven't honestly been following it since I moved away.
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI - sold
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI -Dieselgate victim
2016 Golf 1.8
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:

Has anyone else done what Panelant mentioned? Any pictures to share? I know some are skeptical about posting a plate. If someone has one, what if you covered up half of the plate with a piece of paper and only had a photo of half of the plate. I would really like to see the correct year plate from the DMV.

He's talking about the metal tabs the DMV sends out to mount the month/year stickers, not the license plate itself.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BorisGrishenko wrote:
Well I have heard the CA state assembly was discussing a bill to create an option for newly manufactured black plates (and other older styles) but they would be new numbers and would be made with the modern reflective materials and such. I don't know where it's gone, haven't honestly been following it since I moved away.

Correct

AlteWagen wrote:
AAA will not do the YOM process, you have to go to the DMV.

Here is a better thread to read

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366791

Also the repro plates are no longer being made by licenseplates.tv or cre8-one.com.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495088

Looks like CA will be issuing the black plates soon. The non stamped california letters is a bummer but you will bypass the $200 NOS/used plate purchase.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_1651-1700/ab_1658_bill_20120214_introduced.pdf

HemmingsMotorNews wrote:

California considers the return of black license plates

Anyone who has ever scanned listings for classic cars has likely seen sellers boasting of a “black-plate car,” in reference to the California-native 1960s-era vehicle they have on offer. These era-correct license plates have long been viewed as a sort of badge of honor among West Coast enthusiasts, one that has been recognized by car folk across the country. Now the state of California is preparing to issue brand-new license plates with the familiar chrome-yellow digits on a black background, in addition to versions that emulate other vintage California license plates.

According to a fact sheet released by the office of California Assemblyman Mike Gatto, Assembly Bill No. 1658, “would create the Legacy License Plate Program to allow the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to issue plates that replicate the look of the plates from the state’s past.” The bill would provide not just for new license plates in the style of vintage black plates, but also new plates with the 1970s-spec blue background and another to emulate the earlier yellow plates with black digits, first issued for 1956.

For enthusiasts in other parts of the country who may wonder what makes “black-plate” and other vintage-tagged vehicles so desirable, a little history may be in order.

The significance stems from unusual DMV plating policies in the Golden State, where for decades, new cars have been issued new license plates that are intended to stay with the vehicle for its useful life, no matter how many owners it may pass through. This contrasts with typical practices in most other states, where the license plates follow the car owner from vehicle to vehicle; a new owner of a used car must either transfer plates from his previously owned vehicle or get a new set.

Up through the introduction of the black series plates in 1963, each time the State of California would issue a new series of license plates, every registered owner got a new set, and was expected to replace their existing tags. However, beginning with the familiar blue-and-yellow series, new plates were only required for new vehicles, or for situations where a used car had to be re-plated, including cars coming in from other states. Had the state not changed its plating policies, all registered cars would have been fitted with blue-and-yellow plates as part of registration renewal in the early 1970s.

Instead, cars remaining registered with black plates just retained them, and owners simply continued to add new registration stickers each year. What made this a big deal among old car fans was the fact that, prior to just a few years ago, the only way a car could display those black plates legally was if they had been in place continuously since first being issued during the 1960s – once they came off, they were off for good. Even an original owner of a 1960s car who may have removed his black plates in favor of vanity plates (first made available in California in 1972 during the blue series), or because the car was registered in another state for a period, could not return the black plates to the vehicle and would have had to run contemporary white plates.

More recently, that policy was amended when the state of California officially included black plates into its Year of Manufacture (YOM) program, which enables owners of vintage cars to assign era-correct vintage license plates. Previously, YOM had included plates up through the 1956-issue yellow series, but not beyond. While the program expansion pleased many vintage car owners, it significantly diminished the exclusivity of true black-plate vehicles, even though only appropriate-year vehicles could be retrofitted with black plates, and the applicant had to provide a matched pair of vintage plates to the DMV for a visual inspection and a system check to insure that the number was free and clear.

Now the black plate may be coming full circle as California considers issuing new versions.

We spoke with representatives from Assemblyman Gatto’s office for more details on the proposed plates, and learned that the intent is to make them appear authentic to their respective periods, though the design also has to comply with current plate regulations. That means the finishes will mostly likely be reflective, which was not a feature of the California plates until the mid-1980s. Ideally, the plates will also have the retro block-letters spelling out California, though they will likely be printed only – not stamped. Also, the new retro-styled plates will be available for any model-year vehicle, something Gatto and his staff feel will appeal to owners of new retro-styled cars like the current Challenger, Camaro, Beetle and so on.

The bill goes to a vote in the assembly on April 9, and though it is expected to pass, the program won’t be out of the woods immediately. In order for the program to be deemed fiscally viable, 2,500 paid applications will have to be received once the bill passes. After reaching that number, the program will move forward and new retro-styled plates will be issued. Assemblyman Gatto’s office is working with the Association of California Car Clubs to communicate with enthusiasts, and we expect any further announcements on this issue will be posted at the club’s website, ACCCDefender.org. If and when the bill passes, it will be up to California enthusiasts to push the program to fruition by applying for the special plates. We’ll continue to observe the development of the proposed program and report back as it progresses.

The bill passed but DMV needs to pre sell 7500 sets of the yellow/black, black/yellow, blue/yellow plates before they will actually manufacture them. I really would like to see them before I give the DMV any more cash! A flat plate (non embossed calfornia) and reflective materials is kind of a bummer but a personalized non white plate sounds nice though.
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone...

I found these registered Ca. plates recently.... since early this spring I began seeing other renditions of these Pseudo-EuroPlates on new cars, but until last night I had only seen them on the front of the vehicle and had never seen one with a current registration tab/sticker (I had thought that those 'front only' ones were only novelty plates, which are frowned upon here in Cali). Well... that all changed last night at the local pool hall downtown.

Also, which is interesting to note, I have NOT seen any of these on early vehicles... and I have had no luck in finding mention of them on the Ca. DMV site the last time I saw these and went to investigate.

Anyway, I wanted to post this in the Ca. YOM thread to see if anyone knew of these new plates, and if they are able to be assigned to black-plate cars or not.

(Thanks to Everett for allowing me to host these NON-VW images here on TS... Mods, I did ask him before I posted them to my Gallery. Wink )

I apologize for the Shitty pictures... but I was out with friends and did not have any other camera but the one on my Google phone, again... these are admittedly shitty photographs:

Front
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rear, notice the legal registration tag...

Any info is better than what I currently have... thanks!

I have a bus that has been out of the system for quite a long time and is up next to be made legal, and I have been toying with the Idea of running these... if it is even possible.

I am a Dick, hear me roar- Laughing

Me, an OVP Lifer...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 36

Jump to: