Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Extra seat padding
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Extra seat padding Reply with quote

I have my springs repaired,getting ready to put my TMI covers over my Wolfburg coco mats. Some here are saying to put thin foam over the pads first. I was wondering why Wolfburg doest show extra padding with their mats. Im worried about it going on too tight and bunching up. Has anyone put them in without extra padding?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In The Wolfsburg West video it shows them using a material that's about 1/8" thick over the coco cushions. The material looks like felt. They use it completely over the cushion and back rest. The video shows that VW used a cotton like material just on the edges to smooth out those parts and for the bead in the vinyl to seat properly.
The WW video shows four layers: First, on the springs a vinyl piece is hog ringed tight to the spring frame, then the coco mat is put on that, next is that felt piece, and last the seat cover is put on.
They use a heat gun to tighten up the vinyl a little bit to the seat.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Possum. I guess you only get the vidio if you buy the covers. There was no vidio or any instructions when i bought the pads. You would think they would offer the top pad in the catalog with the pads
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we did a high grade tight weave burlap then coco mats then a thin foam then the seat covers.
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karzapart55 wrote:
Thanks Possum. I guess you only get the vidio if you buy the covers. There was no vidio or any instructions when i bought the pads. You would think they would offer the top pad in the catalog with the pads

The video was free it came with your order (a while ago). I had my seats done at ISP West. I see Wolfsburg West sells it for $ 3.00 on their web site.

Yes, it is strange that they don't sell both the under coco pad vinyl and the above coco pad felt. The felt doesn't look like anything special. It looks a little thicker than the felt squares you can buy at a craft store. Maybe a yardage shop would have this. It is used just to smooth out the edges and top. WW used a contact cement around the parameter of the felt to glue it to the coco pad. This is done so the felt stays in place especially during reassembly of the seat.

WW used to reupholster seats at their warehouse; I don't know if this service is still available.
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass.seat is done. I have a huge roll of automotive cloth backed vinyl. (covered all the panels with it). I used it on the springs,cloth side down. Topside I used 1/4" batting that i got at a craft store. Used spray adhisive to secure it to the coco mat. Then used a kitchen garbage bag to cover everything. Next put the cover in the dryer for a couple minutes,sprinkled baby powder, and they went on with out too much trouble. Thanks to all here for the tips. If i could figure out how to get pic from phone to comp. Ill post it. I surprized myself!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felt at WW:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111881800
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Felt at WW:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111881800

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WW didn't offer the felt when I did my 2 front seats a couple of years ago. Just the fiber mats and fabric. My upholstery guy used some burlap-like cloth to cover the springs though; he seemed to know that it was a good idea. Seats came out very nice, and are holding up well.

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
Karzapart55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my pads a year ago, the felt padding wasnt offered,I wasn't aware it was needed. I bought my batting at a craft store called A.C. Moore's $7.95,and enought to completly cover all 4 pads.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a recent addition to their product line.

Yes, you can find similar products at your local Upholstery supplier.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: