Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

late model bumper over rider rubber..is there a solution?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: late model bumper over rider rubber..is there a solution? Reply with quote

I have been working on some bumpers and over riders for my '71, rusty OG stuff that I'm stripping with the intention of painting black. The nuts and bolts on the backside of the over riders were rusted together, the studs just turned in place. I tried penetrating oil, rust converter, heat, etc, all with varying degrees of success but each of the 4 over riders had at least one nut/bolt combo that just won't come undone, so i had to cut them off. I really wanted to save the rubber because although there are some cracks and such, none of it is really that bad, and original VWoA stuff. Anyways I ordered some replacement rubber from Airhead Parts and it arrived today. Gotta say i was pretty disappointed, the original rubber is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thicker than this replacement crap. The new ones only have two studs instead of four. They fit but just look weird, too skinny. Does anyone know where you can get actual OE replacement rubber for the overriders? Or maybe have a solution to using my old ones? re-seating studs in them somehow? I'll probably start experimenting but was trying to get some opinions as I've already wasted a good amount of time on this really trivial detail!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
TjdTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

repoops are poop. OEM is the way to go.

Beetle Bums VW Club Member

Jamies74sb wrote:
I can't see myself cutting up my super beetle . Maybe a oval or 61 or so with the small windows
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, right but I already knew that. I figured I'd give these a shot, I mean, its a piece of rubber right? How bad could they F it up? Didn't think it would be so obviously the wrong size! But here I am! If its a cost cutting thing I would gladly pay the extra $1 for a half inch of extra rubber! Maybe Wolfsburg West or some other smart aftermarket dealer will make some correct ones. WW manufactures a lot of their own stuff, I think I'll shoot them an email, I see cracked ratty over-rider rubber everywhere and people want stupid money for NOS ones. My over- riders themselves are in great shape, but these (what should be) easily replaced rubber pieces are breakin' my balls!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing? no ideas? anyone?

asiab3 wrote:

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried West Coast Metric? They manufacture lots of rubber and plastic parts.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled a set of overriders off my 1970 beetle in 1972. I still have them in a box somewhere. They mounted through the existing bumper holes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I pulled a set of overriders off my 1970 beetle in 1972. I still have them in a box somewhere. They mounted through the existing bumper holes.

they sure do... are you asking if i want them or something?

West coast Metric has nothing. Airhead Parts was the only place I could find them and they are inferior. I emailed WW to see if they would ever consider making them, what with their reputation for fine bumpers/bumper products. For now I'm going to finish stripping and painting the bumper and over-riders and install the garbage rubber pads if I can't somehow re-attach the old ones. I'll update this thread with pics of the differences and progress sometime after this weekend...

asiab3 wrote:

'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: late model bumper over rider rubber..is there a solution Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
I have been working on some bumpers and over riders for my '71, rusty OG stuff that I'm stripping with the intention of painting black. The nuts and bolts on the backside of the over riders were rusted together, the studs just turned in place. I tried penetrating oil, rust converter, heat, etc, all with varying degrees of success but each of the 4 over riders had at least one nut/bolt combo that just won't come undone, so i had to cut them off. I really wanted to save the rubber because although there are some cracks and such, none of it is really that bad, and original VWoA stuff. Anyways I ordered some replacement rubber from Airhead Parts and it arrived today. Gotta say i was pretty disappointed, the original rubber is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thicker than this replacement crap. The new ones only have two studs instead of four. They fit but just look weird, too skinny. Does anyone know where you can get actual OE replacement rubber for the overriders? Or maybe have a solution to using my old ones? re-seating studs in them somehow? I'll probably start experimenting but was trying to get some opinions as I've already wasted a good amount of time on this really trivial detail!
NEVER, ever buy rubber from Airhead, or anything else new, if you can help it, unless it's listed specifically as German. Trust me , I have years and hundreds of dollars worth of evidence to back this up. I live ten minutes from them and now drive 1 1/2 hours away for my parts.

For rubber, hit up West Coast Metric and Woflsburg West. Most of their rubber is either German or American made. You can ask and they will tell you.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
:2gunfire: F-U-M-P!
~"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken." ~The Boss
Please excuse any typos as my iPhone doesn't speak English very well. 
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim, thanx for the tip, after my first experience with them, and your advise, be sure their catalog is going directly in the recycle bin when i get home (gotta be green right?). The only reason I tried them out in the first place was it was the ONLY company even offering these replacements, gotta give them credit for that at least. WCM and WW don't have them, but i sent an email to WW imploring them to manufacture these! Probably won't go anywhere. Is there a market for these? Anybody else interested? Post up here and if I communicate further with WW I'll link them to this thread....

bumper impact strips everywhere...no over-rider rubber.....

asiab3 wrote:

'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame you for trying. Who wouldn't in your case? Too bad the paper of heir catalog isn't softer- it might serve a legitimate purpose to wipe your ass with! Laughing

Check the classifieds out here. Maybe there is something OEM in good condition for sale you can grab up. Or post a WTB ad yourself.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if you couldn't just weld new studs to the ones you cut off.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Cusser wrote:

they sure do... are you asking if i want them or something?...

I'll try to find them and post some photos, maybe this weekend. But gt1953 has 1st dibs, he's a friend of mine. You can be 2nd in line if he chooses not to want them.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cusser sed: gt1953 has 1st dibs, he's a friend of mine. You can be 2nd in line if he chooses not to want them.

he can have them man, mine are in great shape, just need the RUBBER. If you have just the replacement rubber I'd be interested, but i'm not trying to collect over-riders. I do appreciate the offer though, if anyone sees some of these you know who to tell!

There are some replacement rubber pieces for sale in the classifieds, but they are in Mexico, and look about as good as the ones I just got from Airhead, except they have the VW logo on them, which I also don't like. I will email this guy to see if he can get a measurement of the width of those. I will be experimenting this weekend with getting the studs back on the originals and I'll post my results. Thanx everyone!

asiab3 wrote:

Willhelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might not be realistic but I'll toss it out there. Food for thought style. Could you drop washers over the sawed studs and spot weld them? Grind off the protruding sawed studs and spot weld new studs? The washers would give you some turf to weld the new studs to. I'm just thinking what I might come up with.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I FOUND them. One has some adhesive from masking tape from the time I tried to sell them at a garage sale; I'm sure alcohol or Goo-Gone can get rid of that. there's no lettering to indicate country of manufacture. I figure these were dealer added, as my 1970 was a demo car before the first owner bought it. No scratches, and - as yet - no cleaning !!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... If these are what we've been talking about I've been clueless this whole time! Those are bumper guards not overriders.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'69Custom wrote:
Wow... If these are what we've been talking about I've been clueless this whole time! Those are bumper guards not overriders.

thats weird, it seemed like you were following the conversation pretty well! I think technically they are called over-riders, but everyone calls them bumper guards too. if you search the classifieds using both terms the same stuff will come up. here's some links to ones similar to what I've got:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1193504
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1193632
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1201711

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1201711

cusser- yours look totally different! they aren't as "centered" and have thinner rubber that looks like it is angled in the middle. Plus they are in super nice condition! mine are straight and solid but have some rust and pitting, which is why i'm sandblasting them and painting them black, same as my rusty old bumpers! wouldn't want to ruin those! they should go to someone who is still rockin chrome bumpers! I think the rubber I got from Airhead would fit those but don't have that angle on the front, they are smooth, like a bastard version of the two styles....

asiab3 wrote:

'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically speaking, an overrider is the "towel bar" mounted hanging over US spec, early model bugs on the front and rear. As all things though, terminology can be twisted or confused. I'm pretty certain that bumper "guards" we're available in various styles throughout the years, depending upon bumper style. Even my '65 mustang has a version and they're called guards as well.

This is actually good news for you though. Now you can try a whole new search but use the term "guards" instead. You may have better luck as most vendors classify them correctly. I know I've seen something out there that looked decent. Check eBay too.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig that style:

'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how mine originally looked. I liked it, but when it all came down to it I don't think it works. The bumpers and guards are too square. They don't match such a round car.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: