Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock clutch pedal engagement questions - where's yours?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Stock clutch pedal engagement questions - where's yours? Reply with quote

Where does your clutch engage on you STOCK Vanagon clutch?

How far down before it engages?

How much travel from the beginning of clutch engagement to fully engaged?

I am having a pedal problem and want to find out how a normal clutch pedal reacts and works.

How does it "feel?"

THANKS!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: clutch free play Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus I have about an 1 1/2" and I think this is a lot, but still works great, got under there once and said oh my god how do you adj this. Read a post about adj this, can't understand it oh well. Why did they put all this linkage in a place you can't get your hand in. Thanks VW! Very Happy once it hits resistance it's smooth all the way down. Have about 1 " at the bottom before it grabs. If I take out the floor mats will have about 1 1/2" at the bottom. There was a tab on the bottom of my clutch pedal, stuck out about a 1/2" , ground it off, got about 1/2" more travel. Did not see a real need for it!
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend measured his for me.

About 7 inches of total stroke.

Engagement about 2.5 inches from the floor

Totally engaged by about 3 inches or so off the floor.

About a 1/2 inch or free play at the top of the pedal.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the engagement travel is in the last couple of inches. Further down, closer to the floor, no change. This is on a '90 Westy with a GW 2.2L WBX and GW transaxle. FWIW, according to Bentley, there's no adjustment for clutch travel (I'd like things to happen closer to the floor, like our other two cars).
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch free play Reply with quote

joseph928 wrote:
There was a tab on the bottom of my clutch pedal, stuck out about a 1/2" , ground it off, got about 1/2" more travel. Did not see a real need for it!

I have no tab. The tab is shown in the parts manual. Can not tell if I ever had a tab.....emmm...wonder if that is why my Small Car clutch is blown out and leaking like a sieve?????

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: