Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spice rack
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Spice rack Reply with quote

my 65 westy is missing the spice rack. these are very difficult to find. has anyone built their own? R
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: spice rack Reply with quote

pretty hard to find but not impossible , $75.00-150.00 range.

You could make your own but you would need one to measure!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubgirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: spice rack Reply with quote

We are missing ours too, if anyone has the measurements for a riviera spice rack please let me know. I just need the measurements and possibly a pic? thanks Smile
DaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: spice rack Reply with quote

How is a Riviera rack different? I'd love to see a picture of one.

I do have a junk Westy Spice rack I can make a pattern from down the road. Just to much going on right now to dig it out.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: spice rack Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34206&item=2419073801

It's not mine BTW.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: spice rack Reply with quote

http://www.vintagebus.com/gallery/image/3846.JPG
Here is a pic of a sundial one. There are others in the gallery under sundial camper. Dimensions are 14" wide 30" high and 5" deep. This would better match your interior than the ebay one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: spice rack Reply with quote

A sundial rack would fit except that he has a Westy and not a Sundial! I say stay Westy if that's what you have.
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: spice rack Reply with quote

oops, I was reading the riviera rack part. Ya, stay westy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: spice rack Reply with quote

thanks tho dude, I needed the sundial spice rack pic, now I can come up with one.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Requesting a little help Reply with quote

I am hoping someone will help me out by measuring their OG SO42 spice rack. I am very aware that there are at least two people in this community that sell after-market racks, however in keeping with the spirit that this is a hobby; I have the ability to build my own (I can't weld but I can cut and nail wood Wink ). Also, I'm not looking to dredge up old wounds or topics such as this one: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65846&highlight=spice+rack+measure

but I'm looking for information sharing like this topic: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=355201&highlight=rear+facing+seat
(which I've built my own bench from).

Here is a picture I borrowed to show the measurements I need. If you are willing to share, I could use the dimensions for: A, B, C, D, E, F, and G.

Thank you in advance.
Bud

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
https://manxclub.com/forum/app.php/gallery/album/44
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bud,
Here are your measurements.
A 28-5/8
B 14-3/16
C 3-3/8
D 10
E 19-3/4
F top is 3-3/8, widest point below center is 4-11/16, bottom is 4-1/4
G 20-1/2

Please let me know if you need other measurements.
You can get a close match on SO-42 laminate--Nevamar Grand Isle Maple. You will need a whole sheet but you could probably sell off what you don't use. They make it in different grades and finishes--you need the thin, matte finish.
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Hi Bud,
Here are your measurements.
A 28-5/8
B 14-3/16
C 3-3/8
D 10
E 19-3/4
F top is 3-3/8, widest point below center is 4-11/16, bottom is 4-1/4
G 20-1/2

Please let me know if you need other measurements.
You can get a close match on SO-42 laminate--Nevamar Grand Isle Maple. You will need a whole sheet but you could probably sell off what you don't use. They make it in different grades and finishes--you need the thin, matte finish.

Maj. W., Thank you so much for the dimensions. I really do appreciate the help. Also, thanks for the info on the laminate however I've gone a different route. I am using a cherry finish. Since I don't have a "real" Westy (I have a '66 Kombi) I decided I would do a custom interior based on the SO42 style. I have a couple of original SO42 cabinets (head banger and corner cabinet) that I've refinished. Everything else (except for the bed pedestal) I've built from scratch. I could have gone the easier path and bought my cabinets from either the guys producing them, but as I said earlier I know my way around a table saw. It's taken me about 18 months to have the panels, flooring (which I went with your flooring), rear facing bench - scratch built, refinishing the HB, corner cabinet and bed pedestal, and the wardrobe - scratch built cabinets completed. I have curtains, the spice rack and the ice box to complete and I'll have the whole thing done. I'll post my whole build/restoration project (which includes the bus body work) when everything is done. Below are pictures of the corner cabinet before (OG laminate) and after (cherry laminate). I'm pretty happy with how everything is coming out.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Bud

Before (pretty dusty and wrinkled T and door moulding):

After (cherry laminate and re-used/same T and door moulding - after the boiling water trick):

'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks nice! Well done.
LMK if you need any other measurements from my interior.
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maj. W.,

I do have one more question for you. Are the inside surfaces (of the vertical pieces) laminated? I've looked at a number of pictures and can't tell if it is just stained wood grain or laminate.

For completeness, I've updated the borrowed picture with the measurements you provided (below and in the gallery).

Thank you again.
Bud

'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
OG67westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no laminate on the interior surfaces...
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Requesting a little help Reply with quote

1madmanx wrote:
I have the ability to build my own...

The work you've done so far (on the other cabinets) looks fantastic. Great job.

Question, however, for both Major Woody and/or the world at large; isn't there a bowing curvature to the spice rack where it meets the door? Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the door its self have a bit of a curve to it?

If it does, I'm just mentioning it so that 1madmanx doesn't find a surprise/frustration when he is working on his spice rack.

On another subject (warning: semi-unintentional, but related thread hijack)...

Could folks show pictures of what latch they are using to keep their SO-42 table folded down against the wall? I don't have all the parts of my original, so I've been using egg-carton cardboard stuffed under the table to keep it in place.
This past weekend, however, at the Kelly Park Aircooled Meet in San Jose, CA, I saw the following latch (below) being used as a replacement in one.
Seemed like a good option. Thoughts?
Other solutions?
Sources for close-to-stock correct latch for a 1967 SO-42 Westfalia?

Pictured Latch Link on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/ADJUSTABLE-DOUBLE-SPRUNG-CATCH-SCREWS/dp/B007KQDITM
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the rearmost edges of the rack are curved to meet the curvature of the door.

That latch will work just fine.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Requesting a little help Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
1madmanx wrote:
I have the ability to build my own...

The work you've done so far (on the other cabinets) looks fantastic. Great job.

Question, however, for both Major Woody and/or the world at large; isn't there a bowing curvature to the spice rack where it meets the door? Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the door its self have a bit of a curve to it?

If it does, I'm just mentioning it so that 1madmanx doesn't find a surprise/frustration when he is working on his spice rack.

DadaCheese,

Thank you for the heads up on the curve of the door. I was anticipating that I would have to curve the back side of the rack.

For those that may do their own woodworking I've attempted to draw a little technique that a good friend showed me for creating a template of the exact curve of a surface. I've used this a couple of times when I built my wardrobe cabinet (get the curve along the door frame) and the rear facing jump seat (get the curve of the long wall). Hopefully you can understand my drawing (when I build the spice rack I'll take photos of the "trick").

First create the piece used to draw the curve. I use a scrap piece of panel material about 3x4 inches. I duct tape a pencil to the 3 inch edge.

To create the pattern: put your pattern wood (perpendicular) against the curved edge. Position your drawing piece against the curved surface (with the pencil against the pattern wood) and slowly move it down. Keep the drawing piece horizontal to the ground. When you get to the bottom you should see an exact copy of the curve on your pattern piece. Cut the pattern out. It is best to do this with two people (one to hold the pattern wood in place and one to move the drawing piece along the curved surface.

Hopefully the diagram and description are clear enough to understand.

Hope this helps someone.
Bud

'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribing trim to match a curve is a daily part of life for trim carpenters. I knew that Bud was planning for this which is why I only gave him three data points. I would start with a piece of scrap wood, scribe onto it, take the depth measurements off of it, cut it out and fit it to the door until satisfied, and then trace that shape onto the material actually used to make the rack.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Spice rack Reply with quote

Digging up this old thread as I'm in the process of using it to build my own spice rack. Anyone have a dimension for the height or vertical width of the slats, from this particular model of rack, that hold stuff in the rack's shelves? I realize the top one should be the height to make an enclosure, the others I'm just guessing by photographic proportions at this point.
Thanks!

BTR
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: