Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

South African Grill LED Driving Lights
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ipclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: South African Grill LED Driving Lights Reply with quote

Last year I installed a lighted switch for my SA Grill inner driving lights. I also installed a relay kit for the H4's. I worked well, the best part was that I could leave them on all the time and they function as Day Time Driving Lights. When you turn off the key the lights go off. When you start the car the driving lights come on. The main headlight switch is in the off position. The only problem was that the H3 Halogen's provided by Bus Depot were too bright. I got a few complaints.
So I sourced some H3 Led lights from Super Bright Led's.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fdrl.html
Just perfect! For some reason I sourced the amber lights. I think they look cool, but I am not sure of the leagality, expecially in the States. Anybody have any insights into this concern?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean!

Need a night shot!
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: South African Grill LED Driving Lights Reply with quote

ipclark wrote:
I think they look cool, but I am not sure of the leagality, expecially in the States. Anybody have any insights into this concern?

Looks great. I can't imagine there being a problem here in the states. The parking lights are amber/yellow anyway.
The only time I've heard of a problem with front lights are when running red or blue ones (i.e. emergency vehicle colors).
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the States but since your photo shows Ontario plates and your user account denotes Ottawa to be your home base I'll give you a somewhat abbreviated version of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act (Section 62) regarding front lighting on your vehicle. I've only included relevant passages.

Bottom line... I take this to read that the front can be illuminated by white or amber. It doesn't specify that these lights are to be headlights, parking lights, driving lights or fog lights. It simply refers to "lamps" and gives a maximum output.

It's a bit long winded but here we go:

Highway Traffic Act for the Province of Ontario

Section 62 (1) When persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry (at least) three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only.
Lighted lamps to the front are required at night and at any other time when “persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernable at a distance of 150 meters or less”.

Section 62 (4) Any lamp required under subsection (1) shall, when lighted, be clearly visible at a distance of at least 150 metres from the front or rear, as the case may be.”

Section 62 (6) Lamps on the front of a motor vehicle shall be so constructed, located, arranged and adjusted that…they produce under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible to the operator of the motor vehicle any person or vehicle on the highway within a distance of 110 metres ahead of the motor vehicle.”

Section 62 (7) Attachments that reduce the effectiveness of the lighted lamps referred to in 62 (1), (attachments which would prevent them from fulfilling one or both of their purposes), are prohibited.

Section 62 (9) prescribes a maximum of 300 candella for the lamps referred to in Section 61 (1). But if the purpose of Section 62 (1) was to prohibit additional lights (such as LEDs) then why would legislators not have taken the opportunity to create a section to prescribe a minimum lamp strength as well?

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ipclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on Wikipedia.
Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requires DRLs on all new vehicles made or imported after January 1, 1990. Canada's proposed DRL regulation was essentially similar to regulations in place in Scandinavia, with an axial luminous intensity limit of 1,500 candela, but automakers claimed it was too expensive to add a new front lighting device, and would increase warranty costs (by dint of increased bulb replacements) to run the low beams. After a pitched regulatory battle, the standard was rewritten to permit the use of reduced-voltage high beam headlamps producing up to 7,000 axial candela, as well as permitting any light color from white to amber or selective yellow.

So I guess I am ok, in Canda at least.
I don't think DRL's are Federally mandated yet in the US. If I get pulled over in the US, I can show this standard or just turn them off. I have found that if the police see anything out of the ordinary it is a good reason to pull you over. Never happened to me, but I have heard this happens. I remember years ago, maybe back in the 80's, when all new cars in Canada first had to have DRL's, when driving in the states, people would flash their lights at me to let me know I had my headlights on. Just being helpfull I guess, but I sometimes felt that they thought I was stupid! At one time when you saw headlights on an approching vehicle, it was always a motorcycle. Those guys need all the visibility they can get. Now they just blend in with all the other traffic, I feel bad for them.
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that draws attention to you is cause to be pulled over I guess but, I have been running blue dots in the taillights of my Beetle for a few years and have been followed by police on numerous occasion without being stopped. Now, I suppose, if I was driving like a moron then maybe it would raise a keener interest in me.

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are COOL and modern! I've noticed more and more cars around w/ strip light Daytime running lights. Anyone have OTHER options for DTRL? Especially for the original square head lights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-DIAMETER-ROUND-CHROME-HA...mp;vxp=mtr

I see the SA grill as a kit and a pretty big price difference, except I think the first one includes the H4 lights and the gowesty one (second) does not.
http://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/shop/headlight-grill-kit/

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3636&category_id=&category_parent_id=

Which means I'd have to buy two sets of lights, hate that, but REALLY want DTRL. I was out on the weekend and it was really raining and then went through the American border to get gas and the guard so politely said, "you may want to think about turning your lights on." Of course I did and replied, "oh, thanks, my cars have always done that themselves. Wink And, given how useless the stock lights are, turning them on during the day has never really occurred to me! LOL

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=540

Your Daytime Running light dreams are about to come true.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
These are COOL and modern!

I wouldn't call them "modern": Halo lights date back to 2000-2001 when BMW debuted them.

tam_shops wrote:
I see the SA grill as a kit and a pretty big price difference, except I think the first one includes the H4 lights and the gowesty one (second) does not.
http://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/shop/headlight-grill-kit/

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3636&category_id=&category_parent_id=

Which means I'd have to buy two sets of lights, hate that, but REALLY want DTRL.

GoWesty gives you the option of buying the outer lights because half the vans (production year-wise) already have round lights. If you have an early van, it'd be a waste of money paying for lights you don't need. Makes perfect sense to me.

DRLs: Lots of ideas out there... "use the search". Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/DRL/DRL1.html
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I need to buy THIS
syncrodoka wrote:
http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/DRL/DRL1.html
and then find a DRL to go along with it. Thank you! I really wanted the SA grill, but now that I've read a bit more about it and saw/read some complaints on quality/thickness (cracking), I'm not as sure. It'd be one thing if I *needed* a new grill, but to replace my OEM not damaged/cracked grill w/ one that might crack would be kind of silly...BUT, i do need brighter head lights, big time and you can't get the H4s anymore...All I know is when I went to Katherine lake, there was a Lexus behind me and it had super bright (great) head lights, so bright it over powered mine when it was driving behind me. I was sad when it passed me. LOL

Cool, thanks!
Syncro Pilot wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=540

Your Daytime Running light dreams are about to come true.

Kamz
Ohhhh, thanks! The $100 difference is the extra lights, NICE to know that our local shop is matching the American pricing. And, for me, free shipping b/c I can go there! Though, I like those other lights, if they'll work and are as bright w/ the built in LED strip. Was kind of wondering if anyone had put a strip light down the middle all the way across. I'd want to see it before I did it as it'd either look cool or dumb. LOL

No, not the Halo light, that LED strip light that I think/hope is a DRL. Here, I've only noticed them in the last few years and still mainly on Lexus, though I've noticed more and more lately. It's kind of a new car sign to me, but I don't know when they actually came out, just started noticing more and more. We have more BMW and Mercedes around here.

Did a search that's how I found this thread, didn't get much else though I suspect somewhere in the 300 page this is what I did today thread there are more pictures! LOL
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search...h_forum=20

Thank you everyone!

tam

Making it special:
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, on an Audi in the 90s! Interesting how you miss things and then one day notice them! LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Audi_R8_5.2_FSI.JPG

tam

Making it special:
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could install a Euro version of the H4 light with City bulb using the module posted previously to light the City bulb.

The module could be hooked up to the City bulb, instead of your parking lights. Here is a picture of the UK version of H4 light with City on my car:
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that would get me both DRL and brighter lights. Will ask my guy about how much it'd cost!

hopkin wrote:
You could install a Euro version of the H4 light with City bulb using the module posted previously to light the City bulb.

The module could be hooked up to the City bulb, instead of your parking lights. Here is a picture of the UK version of H4 light with City on my car:

Saw the BMW strip lights, but see they wrap them in a circle, would have have noticed they were LED strip lights if it hadn't been pointed out. Really like the flat style of the Lexus better.

There are no options for square H4 lights, right? But, are there options for brighter bulbs with out getting the new SA grill? Are the bulbs bright enough? Will go do a search and read on that if there is already a big thread on it...

Thanks!

tam

Making it special:
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Thank you, that would get me both DRL and brighter lights. Will ask my guy about how much it'd cost!

You will still need to switch to round-light grille and brackets, which you can get used.

tam_shops wrote:
Saw the BMW strip lights, but see they wrap them in a circle, would have have noticed they were LED strip lights if it hadn't been pointed out.

There's a reason BMW's "circle" lights are called halo (or "angel eye") lights:

Factory BMW halos were not originally LED, they were xenon (which you can still obtain), hence their halo-like glow. Numerous aftermarket halos are using various methods, including LED.

If you want the straight strips for DRLs, you'll have to buy LED strips and mount them where you please, such as like this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4941327#4941327 . Or, get auxiliary lights (bumper-mounted, or the upcoming, aforementioned Terrawagen lights).

tam_shops wrote:
But, are there options for brighter bulbs with out getting the new SA grill? Are the bulbs bright enough?

Yes: Install headlight relays and, if desired, install higher wattage bulbs. I've got the relays + 80/100w bulbs... light is more than adequate for me. No matter which route you take, you will want to add relays so that your current headlights receive 100% of their power.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few issues that usually have to be dealt with when trying to get acceptable lighting out of the '86-'91 US DOT stock rectangular lights.

Pretty much every set of original headlight housings I see have a layer haze/fog on the inside of the lenses. Even a small amount of haze will scatter the light coming through the lens and decrease the performance of your lights. This can be corrected with a good cleaning followed by a rinse with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

The 9004 bulb itself is considered one of the worst dual filament bulbs ever conceived. With only 45W (700 lumen) on low beam, it is one of the least powerful legal bulbs on the road. Why VW chose to use this design for the Vanagon is still a mystery...

You can easily get more raw lumens out of your headlights by going to a higher wattage bulb (Hella 9004 80/100W is less than $10.00 on amazon.com). When upgrading to high wattage bulbs, be sure to install a proper set of headlight relays to keep your headlight switch from overheating and failing prematurely.

The final piece of the puzzle is to make sure that your headlights are properly aimed. There is a good method for aiming here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

For daytime running lights, there are several options that work well. The simplest being to just turn on your headlights before you put the van in gear. The small marker or "city" lights found in some e-Code housings are typically only 5-7W, so their effectiveness as a safety feature is suspect at best. There are also kits available that will allow you to use the turn signal bulbs as a DRL, but rewiring is necessary when choosing this approach and the long term use of the brighter filament inside the small plastic turn signal lens could lead to lens damage over time.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of LED lights I'm using as DLRs. They can be wired to come on with the ignition and go off when the headlights are turned on. I bought them from superbrightled.com.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/daytime-ru.../626/1896/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Intermeccanica 356 with city lights. I swapped out the small, yellow bulbs for some directional (yellow) LED bubs.
I bought with from the same place as the DLRs.

tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I was looking at and asking about lights at my last WetWesties get together. Someone said 1 of my 4 lights was a bit dirty, it was the smaller one (at least). If I keep this set up, I'll clean it when the new bulbs go in. Though, given I'm now having stalling issues, the lights won't be dealt with until the mechanical is...

Got to wonder why they kept using the 9004 bulb, just like that flippen closet door. Rolling Eyes

Ooooh, $10 for brighter bulbs, WAY cheaper than what I was expecting, but still need to do DRL and a relay, but still way cheaper.

No idea how to adjust head lights, never done that before. Will get back to that topic when I've fixed the lack of light problem. Mine seamed to be pointing the right way, just not bright or large enough. When the Lexus was behind me, it's lights just over powered mine up and all around. It was kind of cool.

Still laughing away at your easy free solution. Don't tell my DH that one, he agreed I needed new lights so won't complain when I spend too much money. Wink 23 years ago I'd agree with you and did turn them on, but I've had them since ~1990 and there is just no going back on some things. IF I had a lights on bzzzz, I'd be more into that cheap easy route, but next I'll turn my lights on during the day and return to a dead battery b/c I forgot to turn them off!

thatvwbusguy wrote:
There are a few issues that usually have to be dealt with when trying to get acceptable lighting out of the '86-'91 US DOT stock rectangular lights.

Pretty much every set of original headlight housings I see have a layer haze/fog on the inside of the lenses. Even a small amount of haze will scatter the light coming through the lens and decrease the performance of your lights. This can be corrected with a good cleaning followed by a rinse with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

The 9004 bulb itself is considered one of the worst dual filament bulbs ever conceived. With only 45W (700 lumen) on low beam, it is one of the least powerful legal bulbs on the road. Why VW chose to use this design for the Vanagon is still a mystery...

You can easily get more raw lumens out of your headlights by going to a higher wattage bulb (Hella 9004 80/100W is less than $10.00 on amazon.com). When upgrading to high wattage bulbs, be sure to install a proper set of headlight relays to keep your headlight switch from overheating and failing prematurely.

The final piece of the puzzle is to make sure that your headlights are properly aimed. There is a good method for aiming here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

For daytime running lights, there are several options that work well. The simplest being to just turn on your headlights before you put the van in gear. The small marker or "city" lights found in some e-Code housings are typically only 5-7W, so their effectiveness as a safety feature is suspect at best. There are also kits available that will allow you to use the turn signal bulbs as a DRL, but rewiring is necessary when choosing this approach and the long term use of the brighter filament inside the small plastic turn signal lens could lead to lens damage over time.

Ooooohhhh, cool, I get it. So obvious now that you pointed it out complete w/ picture! Thanks! Is that why the lights are called H4, are those Halo4s? What's the 4 for? Now that you pointed it out, I do see more LEDs on cars, but in the circle shape rather than the Lexus line. Though, I saw a Porche w/ them in a line today too. Then I saw something w/ a strip of yellow lights to, made it look like an angry alien.

So I have TWO choices, both need a relay installed (I saw the gowesty video, it goes in my fuse panel.

1)SA grill ~$400. If I get that special bulb it'd have DRL, but then I'd need some sort of *thing* to get the DRL to work.

2)Brighter bulbs. Clean the square housing--only one of the 4 of mine are dirty. AND get some sort of strip light and the adapter thing for the DRLs. Probably still a few hundred dollars.
kamzcab86 wrote:

There's a reason BMW's "circle" lights are called halo (or "angel eye") lights:

Factory BMW halos were not originally LED, they were xenon (which you can still obtain), hence their halo-like glow. Numerous aftermarket halos are using various methods, including LED.

If you want the straight strips for DRLs, you'll have to buy LED strips and mount them where you please, such as like this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4941327#4941327 . Or, get auxiliary lights (bumper-mounted, or the upcoming, aforementioned Terrawagen lights).

tam_shops wrote:
But, are there options for brighter bulbs with out getting the new SA grill? Are the bulbs bright enough?

Yes: Install headlight relays and, if desired, install higher wattage bulbs. I've got the relays + 80/100w bulbs... light is more than adequate for me. No matter which route you take, you will want to add relays so that your current headlights receive 100% of their power.

tam

Making it special:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: