Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vent window press device...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Vent window press device... Reply with quote

Hi all,

There are several different topics about installing glass into the bus vent window frame. Most sound like they work to some degree. But I'd like to "press" it in properly.

This topic is to find out if anyone (besides the late, great Dave Mayes) has come up with or created a press jig that presses the glass and new seals into the frame with out bending or stretching it outward at the ends. VW dealerships had plans for a detailed special tool #737 or something like that, an impressive table top window press jig! Anyone ever find one of those? Probably not. I think both BFY and Wolfsburg West say they can press your windows together, but I wonder if they have the VW made jig or have cobbled up their own jigs?

Anyway, be proud and lets see photos and description of your improvised vent window press jigs! Thanks for your answers and photos of your window press solutions!

Bill Bowman

Update:
Video from Creative Engineering:

Link

Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bus but...T3 vent windows for my Notch resto, but you get the point. Simple: I made a wooden jig out of 1/2" wood I had lying around, glued and screwed together. I then got out my clamps, heat gun and soapy spray water. An hour of cussing, prying, squeezing and frustration later I finally got one done. I let it dry overnight. It held together. I did the other side and it was easier since I had the practice. Still together on my Notch. The only issue I had was trimming the extra rubber seal from behind the "swoosh" cup at the bottom. Still need to trim it better but it's a very tight space.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks "localboy"

Now that's what I'm looking for, everyones locally made solutions to a press to press the glass ALL the way into the frame! Love the wood jig that keeps the frame from distorting outward . Great job there.

Anyone else have a photo of their solution?

I have alwways dreamed of discovering and buying one of the dealership special tool VW #737 window presses in some dusty corner of a shop that's selling shit. Someone out there has had to have been lucky enough to locate one of those over the years!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DownRiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top of page 30 in http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3454924&highlight=jig#3454924

Fred Squicciarini wrote:
Frames back from paint, latches powder coated. WW rubber. Made myself a jig. Lots of mineral oil. Worked like a charm. Still need to trim under the swosh...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWMR Do?
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one that looked just like the first one. It took all of 15 minutes. When I was done, I cut it up for kindling.
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mynameismud wrote:
WWMR Do?

Umm.....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one local VW guy says he just takes the vent wings into a local glass shop and they do it - pretty cheap.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have known...WWMR do? Awesome jig, and looking the most sofisticated so far! But that mostly wooden jig with the pipe clamp seems very workable also! Kudos to the enthusiasts who scratched their heads and created these sure fire ways to do vent windows right. I just wish one of you lived near St. Louis, I'd have two or three sets of vents to pay you to do!

Keep up the creativity!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Dirkdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: glass company...hmmm.. Reply with quote

Good idea to use a glass company, seems easier than to make a jig for one window repair.

I have a vent window where the latch broke off, I got a new part here (thanks classifieds) but need to get old glass out to fix. How do you get the old glass out? I'm thinking a sandwich of plywood and clamps, then some gentle banging.
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: glass company...hmmm.. Reply with quote

Dirkdaddy wrote:
Good idea to use a glass company, seems easier than to make a jig for one window repair.

I have a vent window where the latch broke off, I got a new part here (thanks classifieds) but need to get old glass out to fix. How do you get the old glass out? I'm thinking a sandwich of plywood and clamps, then some gentle banging.

The last three sets of vent glass I've removed went out fairly easy by just holding on to the glass with my hands and pulling it out of the frame.
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: glass company...hmmm.. Reply with quote

Dirkdaddy wrote:

I took a small screwdriver and pried the glass out of the frame from the top. I replaced the latch and put the glass back in. I put a little electrical tape on the glass so it would be tight in the old seal. I will eventually replace the seals but that was my quick fix for a broken latch.
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember using a lot of water/dish soap mix (to lube the glass and rubber) and a small dead-blow hammer, a lot of patience...and some fancy language not suitable for mixed company. Embarassed
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used rubber friction tape instead of the seal. Couple passes of that to build up the apropriate tickness, and pushed it in by hand. Looks correct enough. I bought the 'correct' seal years ago for my '66, and easily saw that it was an endeavor that I was not looking forward to.

If you are a correct kind of person, then go for it. Otherwise I'd say the friction tape is the way to go.

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: glass company...hmmm.. Reply with quote

Dirkdaddy wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=435584

Please read the text on the link above too
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically... wood is better to use on glass, vs metal... something to-do with metal being harder than wood on the very fragile glass... as per glass blowers and glass glazers that I know. It has to do with the physical properties of said molecular physics... or whatever.

I am a Dick, hear me roar- Laughing

Me, an OVP Lifer...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I use a wood block or a rubber mallet to push it back in.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugcollections
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Vent seals Reply with quote

As to the seal: As noted above I have used electical tape to build up a seal and have also used one not mentioned; and that is a bicycle innertube, cut a liberal strip, push the glass in, use a razor blade or exacto knife to cut off the excess. I have also found that if you have a fairly good old seal it is better to be careful, save the old one and reuse it. I have never had any real good success with the new repop seals.
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the bike tube on the Notch windows. Too thin. I would have to double it and then I was right back fighting to get it in, so I just used the WCM seals.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dirkdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the whole thing out to make it easier. I may have overkilled it but this is what I did and it made it easy, protected glass from breakage. I was surprised how easy it came out, this was due to the fabric stuff used as seal being rotted out.

I'm drilling the rivits out now and will see about affixing new rivits. plan on using innertube to seal (about same thickness as rotted old stuff) and maybe some RTV. My jig to install looks like others made of wood. Thanks folks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: