Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppermint Oil (not fragrance) is on the soaked cotton balls locked into the glass jar with metal lid with nail holes punched in it. How could they defecate on the cotton balls? Did you leave all your cupboards open and take as much off the dash and front as you could so they wouldn't have any dark places?

At the garage, they are always overrun with mice who have made holes of entry. I put a set up at each hole and where ever i found nests and droppings, including the washroom, kitchenette and lunch room and not one turd!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put drops of the peppermint oil on cotton balls and put them throughout the van, drawers, cabinets etc. As always everything that could be a problem was removed, no food items what so ever! These were instructions I picked up somewhere. Definitely mouse poop everywhere!

1995 Eurovan Camper
Congaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a box of tongue and groove bamboo flooring left over from when the house was built. Had literally just enough to make a floor for my new 1981 Vanagon. Literally only 12 inches of flooring left over. Took 30 minutes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
davesclassicvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Installed in line blower to heater system Reply with quote

Went through the heating system on my 82 Westy today. I discovered that one valve wasn't connected. Adjusted the other side to ensure the valve opens completly. Adjusted the control cables in the dash. Installed a new switch and fan.
Wow what a difference the fan makes. Leaving on a trip to the coast next weekend. It will be nice to have heat.
2000 New Beetle
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed my new Das Mule rock sliders. Smile
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter and I replaced the felt channels and scrapers on driver's and passenger's windows. The old soap and water trick is a must. We have an icy fog this morning, and the seals look guttentite. Another wee item on the honey do list is done!
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished installing the deep cycle battery, Truckfridge, Inverter and Charger... Westy Ventures style. Thanks for the help Karl!! Next up, wiring it all up. Complete Syncro before/after photos coming to a new post this week.

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday: Installed new hook-ups, center floor mat, and new AZ Centennial license plate. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lemonspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoveled the snow from around Clem, car cover removed and battery back in to charge.....found a few exploded water bottles from winter freeze ....and a little mold - Day one of van life for 2012 felt good
73 Transporter (sold) "chloe"
80 Vanagon (sold) "brownie"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more wire connections, put new seal on front signal lights, mounted 2 new(er) visors and missing hardware, oh right and put the 2 steering column brackets back on. Laughing Looked all over for my rear lights, couldn't find them so looked at the rear of the van and there they were, where they are supposed to be Embarassed Laughing I'm using the spray silicone to create new seals where the rotted gasket was. Been getting water in my lights. Also going to drill minute draining holes at lowest level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Milfordite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a ride in our Westy for the first time in 4 or 5 months today. Over the winter I rebuilt the engine, resealed the transaxle, all new CV joints, complete new cooling system from the radiator back, all new fuel lines and gas tank, new Koni shocks, new rear bushings, new wheels and tires and some other stuff I 'm forgetting about. Next is to redo the A/C system, add an inverter and a new radio. Whew! Runs great, very happy to have it back again! I missed my baby! Very Happy
jashv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove it Saturday, battery is 100% dead on Sunday, can't determine why. The primary battery won't hold a charge and neither will the secondary Sad Guess I'll be buying a battery very soon. - They were old anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went by the storage facility to have a look at her. Still too cold out and too much residual salt on the road. Will have another look after the Easter Weekend. My have it towed to the house so i can do a bit of work in the driveway. Getting excited for the 2012 driving/camping season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the manual trans gear oil. After much reading here, switched from Redline MT-90 to Swepco 210.

Broke two Flaps hand pumps--bad batch? In any case, simple proved better for me--funnel and tube through the wheel well worked a charm.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: One more mystery solved. Spade connector corrosion Reply with quote

I have already had my fridge out and cleaned, and it was working until recently. The fridge LED would light up when running the motor, with the fridge source selector in Battery position.

A few days ago, the LED stopped lighting. So I went to Radio Shack and bought the Blue LED #276-0311 and soldered it in. Still no light.

I went to VanCafe and asked if there were any fuses to the fridge, they said to check the ones in the black plastic box by the driver door. The fuses were good.

Then Chris at VC, my hero for today, asked if possibly any of my fridge electric connectors under the sink might have come loose, so I checked.. no, they were all tight..

but I decided to unplug and reconnect them.. After unplugging the single black wire junction, and plugging it back in, I started the engine with the Fridge in Battery mode, and the Fridge light now Works!

Moral of the story, spade connectors corrode with time and make poor contact..

Now Im ready for Death Valley, with more than just canned food.. I get to bring some burgers and sausage for the grill..
schoonerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tune up time,
Changed fuel filter...air filter..plugs...dizzy cap..rotor.

I cut open the fuel filter and removed the paper filter to check how dirty it was, which would indicate the condition of the fuel tank, it was possible to roll it out on the floor, like a toilet paper roll and see that it was stained in the center, but no rust particles.

Also removed the A/C compressor off the engine as I never used the A/C,
and it never worked anyhow..boy was it heavy, been carrying around a load of dead weight for 4 years, maybe the fuel economy will improve?

Roll on Spring!!!!
brendanklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ordered up my power steering unit from bus depot... getting set to tow it to a mechanic who's gonna help do the tranny, fuel lines and install the new PS unit.

CAN NOT WAIT! Surprised Razz

Restoring Oscar Blog
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planned to replace front calipers, new pads & flex hoses:

- PS done except for hose, due to top nut rounded over.
I left it to soak another week...me not ready to deal with potential damage to hard lines, but caliper job not hard & went great.
- DS done except for caliper, which arrived with bent bleeder screw...now waiting for return & reorder. Rolling Eyes

So she sits...

(Earlier this week) - mounted 2 new interior grab handles (driver & slider doors)
- black satin Krylon Fusion for all door handles, window hardware & both grilles
- PB blaster rear & clutch bleeders (3x this week) prepping for brake fluid flush & full brake adjustment once hose & caliper done...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Themasterof42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced my fuel pump, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, plastic fuel grommet, oxygen sensor, and water temp sensor. Tomorrow I'll give it a whirl and see if my issues are taken care of Cool
Baxta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed AirCare (smog) with flying colors, bought 3 month insurance to tide me over until I get Collectors Plates;
Replaced (very recently) dying ignition switch;
Traced wiring & gently bent connectors for the flexi-circuit board to dash connector and restored my dash lighting;
Last weekend I drilled (gasp!) the pop top to install Yakima ARGs and a corresponding kayak roof rack.

Been a good week!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 247 of 629

Jump to: