Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leave 'em in the dust
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

I can't outrun anybody in my stock super but I can go around a turn faster than 90% of what's on the road today. We have truly gone back to the era of big road hogs and cars that can't handle worth a damn. Somebody was following me closely the other day as we drove under a bridge. Afterwards there was a sharp right, a short straight, and then a 180 degree 10mph right turn to go up onto the bridge. The road I was on opened up to two lanes because a lot of tractor trailers have to make the sharp turn. Mr. FollowMeClosely figured here was where he could pass, so he pulled to the left and started to draw alongside me, figuring once we hit the turn he could easily pass me. Well, I accelerated ever so gently instead of slowing down for the curve, and so did he. As soon as I hit the curve I just yanked the wheel hard to the right and scooted around the turn without even a tire squeal, while the other car disappeared out of sight as the driver tried to make the turn and had to hit the brakes. I saw him catching up to me as we went over the bridge but he stayed behind me the rest of the way. Ah, me. Such bad driving habits...
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

Well I drive a 1971 standard Beetle and I can't tell you how many times a big gas hog is riding my bumper on a little back road, that is until it gets curvy. I can just whip my little Bug around those curves.
What is also fun is watching an SUV try desparately to get a tiny parking space and you whip in it the opposite way. That's great.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

Just remember what happened to the vert in "fried green tomatoes" when attempting the "parking space scoop".
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

Better insurance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

I didn't mean that I steal the parking space from them. I mean I whip my Bug in it after they give up trying to park there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

"watching an SUV try desparately to get a tiny parking space"

I saw this yesterday. Lady in a Caddy Es- plane-lard trying to parallel park. There was plenty room, but she would pull forward, cut the wheels & back up, over and over. But only move about 3 feet in each direction. After about 8 attempts, she gave up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

I can parallel park my bus like no other. It truly is a skill that only the greatest of all men can master. All hail NIK!
nik
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

i love watching people parallel park, and a bit of generalizing here, especially women!!! if i am in down/bad mood, it brings a chuckle out of me.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deaffy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

Yes, watching women try to parallel park is funny. Almost makes up for "ladies nights" where they get into bars for free and drinks are half off.
irene
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

let's not try to generalize too much here gentlemen. i am most assuredly of the female persuasion... and not only can i parallel park my squareback into the smallest of spaces, but i'm also smart enough not to park myself at bar where the object of the night is to get the ladies as drunk as can be. so while i could make my own assumptions about many of the men out there..... i'll try to refrain as best i can.
fknbrkn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

damn feminists.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

I think parallel parking is a dying art. Some people go without parallel parking for years at a time. When I was learning to drive I couldn't parallel park at all, no matter how often I tried, until it really counted: at the driving test. Then in NYC there were times I would find some clown parked right up against my bumper because he was trying to fit in at the end of the block. Once a BMW did that to me in the Village. Turns out he forgot to leave it in gear when he parked. So when it time for me to leave I gently pushed his car out into the intersection and left it there.
type877
Samba Haiku Masta

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

LOL @ FKNBRKN!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRACKMAGIC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

Has anyone seen that commercial with the Yukon Denali and the chick driving it. She pulls up to this bar, with like 20 bikes parked and a tiny spot between them and she throws it in there like nothing! GUARANTEE the driver when it was parked was a DUDE!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

better yet, give the girl a chance, the bikes i bet, are a computer immage!
DutchBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

He ! Parallel parking is something you have to do on your driving exam over here (Amsterdam, the Netherlands). OK, so it is tough the first few times, but pretty easy when you know your car and do it once in a while....
TylerDurton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

it is odd when some giant suv gets right up behind you and all you see in your rear view mirror is a giant bumper.. even worse at night when they have their lights just at the right level and you cant see anything because of the rear view mirror and the side mirror(singular).. many big cars today arent very fast.. sometimes if the road is right, i will put the pedal to the floor and gain some distance then resume the speed limit once i have lost the tail ^_^ gotta love dual carbs.. they usually get the idea.. if not, i will slow down and creep along..
you can only go as fast as the slowest car on the road.. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Leave 'em in the dust Reply with quote

My wife worked in the office of a used car dealer and drove a limo on the side when I first met her. Can out park 95% of the men out there. She's purty too. Nothing like having your girl come home from work in her slick black limo driver's uniform, take the hat off, toss down $200 in tips on the counter for three hours work.

Sometimes you get lucky!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: