Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thunderbug rare?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRshotglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Thunderbug rare? Reply with quote

I was rummaging through the Dune Buggy Archives and stumbled across this...

Quote:
Thunder Bug

The decal on this previously unknown buggy has sparked some information to be found on it. This is what recently surfaced on the SAMBA site about the Thunder Bug. Thunder Bug was Custom Built mold made by Clay Diekmann and Tony Vierra of Manx House (a dune buggy shop) in 1968 in Sunnyvale California. The shop later became known as Bugformance. There were only 50-70 of these bodies produced. They were handlaid fiberglass construction with chopper gun re-inforcements. They were designed to be the same dimensions as it's cousin the Manx. Tailbox was raised for more clearance. Hood appears designed for more tank clearance. Dash and hood thicker than most manx kits. Interior surfaces were textured . Later versions were molded with tube under fender for wiring harness. Front angles made for Sqaureback Turn signals and rear panels for oval tailights.

Any truth to that? Is my buggy actually one of 50-70 ever produced?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Thunder Bug I know of was by Motion Mini Car in Baldwin, New York... yes, that Baldwin Motion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MRshotglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the page I found. I hope its true...that'd be sweet to have a super-rare buggy Smile

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/ThunderBug
247vws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1966 VW Beetle "Rose"
1974 VW Beetle "SunBug"

The best FORUM for dune buggy information worldwide is.... www.dunebuggyarchives.com
http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/forum_show.pl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kitb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i have, original purple glitter too!
MRshotglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

247vws wrote:

Mine is missing the emblem...is it an inlay, or just a decal? I would love to find one and put it back on, but they seem pretty hard to locate.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugformance is still in business in Sunnyvale, CA. I suspect its changed hands but someone who works there might have some kind of information. If you got a good picture of the logo, pretty much any sign/graphics shop could make you a new sticker.

Bugformance was in Campbell in 1968 and on the earliest Bugformance ad I've seen(1969), they were dealers for several buggies including Meyers Manx, but Thunderbug wasn't listed.
Woobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Working on mine... Reply with quote

I've got a Thunderbug too! It's currently completely disassembled as I am going through and getting everything sorted out. The car had been sitting outside in the elements for a few years, plus the engine was a very tired 1641 originally built in the late 70's so it was definitely time. I built a new 1776 engine for it, but am basically trying to keep the retro feel of the car and definitely will try to save all the cool old-skool "Claude's Buggies" gear (from before they became CB Performance).

I'm building a website to track my progress so if you feel like taking a look and/or giving advice you can see it over at http://dunebugged.com.

BTW, I live about 2 hours north of Sunnyvale but I get down there fairly often for business. I am going to see if I can find an 'oldtimer' still working there that might have an idea about a source for the emblems. I'll post back here if I find anything out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I just found a Thunder Bug in the middle of a pasture. Any one have any new info on the type of buggy. Thinking of getting it.

Alma
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately in the world of fiberglass dune buggies rarity doesn't generally equate to increased desirability or value. Sometimes there's a good reason that a kit was unpopular 'back in the day' and sometimes they were just low volume knock-offs...

Some people think that they can turn a quick and or vast profit from a rare kit only to find the opposite so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTBRADLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamboguru wrote:
Think I just found a Thunder Bug in the middle of a pasture. Any one have any new info on the type of buggy. Thinking of getting it.

Alma

I am building a ThunderBug as well. Just down the street from you in Katy. If you decide to pass on the Buggy I wouldnt mind having a matching pair. I have a Buggy body to trade if you want.
Here is my build on the TexasManx Club site.
http://www.texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1954
jamboguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the nose decal. A buddy of mine got a few from one of the original makers.

glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome ! I had no idea what the sticker looked like !
cz_kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: thunderbug info Reply with quote

Hi All,
I met Tony Viera a few weeks ago. I accidentaly stumbled onto him thru a car shop in Sunnyvale CA. He came to my house to see my Thunderbug project I just completed renovated after sitting 10 years. Ive owned mine since 1981. 1341cc Silver body. Just rewired and updated brake system to dual master, has about 900 miles since I built the engine and had the transmission done with superdif and gears thru Marks Porsche Transaxles in Modesto CA. Tony is now Building Hot rods in Santa Clara. I got an original decal for my hood from him, very cool. Regards, Mike
GTBRADLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Mike! I talked to Tony a couple years ago when they were closing Bugformance, he was helping out. Great guy to talk buggies with and lots of old stories about the business back in the day. Post up some pic's of your Thunder for all to see. Cool
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very cool. You should catch up with Tony's son, he has the Bugformance Baja race buggy from the 60s.
VolkswagenGerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought Id bring this thread back as I didnt get any responce on the Identify my buggy sticky
So... A new approach and out of curiosity to my buggys origns,
I think I have a glitter buggy.. however this is what she looked like when I first got her.. Notice the faded thunder buggy painted on the side? it does say buggy not bug, Driver side was more clear but can not find photo now..
Also notice the chrome thunderbolts on the side (yes I kept them)
Was this just a theme? or any ties to thunder buggys in this thread?
I bought it in the SF bay area but who knows where its roots were as many buggys have been around.. it was sitting in a ware house where it was rode hard and put away wet for 2o years...

Any , anything, would be awesome guys,
Thanks in advance
Gerry
[img]
[/img]

Ps.. PO did a number on front giving it square headlights and a hood that opend... beneth it all shows evidence of rounded down hood (manx style)
Squared off and built up with about 20lbs of glass and bondo lol

[img]
btonns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here was another Thunder Bug body.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1381763
BushwhackDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Thunderbug rare? Reply with quote

Whats RARE is the original "Thunderbug" show car which everyone ripped off for it's name and likeness. Clay Diekmann and Tony Vierra took my dad's name(1967) and used it for their 1968 buggy "Thunder Bug". Motion Mini Car in New York was Bill Mitchell using my dad's name for his 1970 gasser VW bug "Thunderbug" which used the name and the front hood scoops of the original for his Drag Bug. Lets get the facts straight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BushwhackDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Thunderbug rare? Reply with quote

Best laugh? the part where the "Thunder Bug" description says it was custom designed to be the same size as a Manx! LOL - the Bugformance "Thunder Bug" was and is a MANX CLONE period. Another buggy maker carving up a Manx and calling it a "Custom design" . Right -and everything Donald Trump says is the TRUTH! LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: