Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Input shaft removal - gasoline to diesel swap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebennett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Input shaft removal - gasoline to diesel swap Reply with quote

I am doing an inline conversion and I need to remove my input shaft and have it machined down. The Bentley manual 35.5 has a picture of the bell housing floating in space and the shaft in the center of it, out of the transmission. The instructions state;

removal:
remove circlip, push sleeve backward and screw out mainshaft
installing:
screw front and rear main shafts together, then back off one spline
push sleeve on and install new circlip

When I pulled my bell housing the shaft stayed with the rest of the trans. Removing the circlip was easy but "push sleeve backward and screw out mainshaft" Not so easy. Do I push the sleeve back into the trans?Do I have to open up the other side of the trans?

I did find this post but I didn't help;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1905977&highlight=#1905977

Help!!!
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eric, call me
bill
vwtopia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just done two of these, removing the input shafts from both the diesel and aircooled tranny, I hope I can help.

You need to pull the sleeve out some from the tranny. You'll only be able to pull it so far because it will hit another part of the tranny. The part the sleeve hits does have a cut out area so turn the shaft so the sleeve can go alittle farther out. You need to pull it out far enought to clear the gears but not far enought to where it binds with other parts of the tranny when you turn the input shaft.

I fought with both of the ones I did but when you get the sleeve in the correct position the input shaft unscrews very easily. You don't have to open anything else up or remove anything else. After I did the first one and realized how it all worked I figured the second one would be easy. Wrong! I still struggled finding the sweet spot so the shaft would unscrew.

It doesn't take alot of force to unscrew the shaft so if you are using any then something isn't quite right.

Good luck,
Kevin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ebennett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin - thank you for your input

Bill - your the man! I just never want to be a pest when it comes to seeking VW knowledge!
volkswagatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tried for 3 hrs to get this diesel shaft out...i have followed these steps exactly and it takes alot of force and it still wont come loose
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwtopia wrote:

You need to pull the sleeve out some from the tranny. You'll only be able to pull it so far because it will hit another part of the tranny. The part the sleeve hits does have a cut out area so turn the shaft so the sleeve can go alittle farther out. You need to pull it out far enought to clear the gears but not far enought to where it binds with other parts of the tranny when you turn the input shaft.

I fought with both of the ones I did but when you get the sleeve in the correct position the input shaft unscrews very easily. You don't have to open anything else up or remove anything else. After I did the first one and realized how it all worked I figured the second one would be easy. Wrong! I still struggled finding the sweet spot so the shaft would unscrew.

The two comments in bold above are most likely the cause for your struggles. After removing the circlip and sliding it up the shaft a ways, you need to rotate the differential to just the right spot so that the sleeve can be pulled as far up the shaft as possible. This "sweet spot" is where one of the holes in the differential carrier and the sleeve meet. One of those holes in the differential needs to line up with the sleeve so that the corner of the sleeve will partially enter the hole when it's slid as far up the input shaft as possible. You may need to wriggle the differential back and forth just a bit to fine that "sweet spot". Once you find it, the sleeve should just clear the joint between the shafts and you should be able to unscrew the input shaft from the mainshaft. Remember that as you unscrew the input shaft, the sleeve will need to slide inside the sleeve as the shaft is being unscrewed. This is a bit hard to describe in words, but if you aren't aware of it, it can be easy to bind up the whole assembly, making removal a bit tougher.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad, sometimes they are a real bitch. I have done MANY and on rare occasion the sleeve simply will not slide far enough to uncover the splined end of the input shaft. In tough cases I use a small mirror and light to see the connection point. The splined sleeve MUST slide out enough to uncover the joint where the 2 splined shafts touch or the input shaft will never unscrew from the other one since the sleeve locks them together. The normal diff body has a couple of recessed areas and you must turn the diff until the sleeve slides into one of these recesses a little bit. Try the other one if the first recess doesn't work.

On more than one occasion I had to unscrew the left side differential adjusting ring. It is critical to mark it's position before it moves as you must put it exactly back where it was. On diffs without the above mentioned recesses this is the only way. Syncros with locker diffs for example.

On models with the recesses in the diff, I grind a beveled edge into the sleeve after I finally get it out. This makes it easier to put back and to do again in the future.

Mark

volkswagatron wrote:
i have tried for 3 hrs to get this diesel shaft out...i have followed these steps exactly and it takes alot of force and it still wont come loose
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: