Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unique to a '62?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there are indentations to the inside of the mounting holes.

Took me a while to spot it.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Andrew wrote:
I thought the through the glass window latches was model specific for the earlier years, not only year specific.

OK, what years and what models? I've never seen a 63-67 without thru glass latches. I piulled some out of a '61 (standard) and (maybe) a '62 Panel.
My '63 came (to me) with no-hole sliders. Not sure if orig. or not, however they seemed to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Point out the differences, please, I'm not seeing it. '62 had a white lens and '63 up went to amber in the US.

Are you talking about the turn signal lenses? I was wondering about that the ones on my late 62 were amber backed. I got some nos ones in a bunch of stuff that are just white no amber inside.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Looks like there are indentations to the inside of the mounting holes.

Took me a while to spot it.

Sheesh: that's subtle.

YOUBUGME2 wrote:
Are you talking about the turn signal lenses? I was wondering about that the ones on my late 62 were amber backed. I got some nos ones in a bunch of stuff that are just white no amber inside.

Yeah. The lenses.
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also more info here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=269451
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
crofty wrote:
Andrew wrote:
I thought the through the glass window latches was model specific for the earlier years, not only year specific.

OK, what years and what models? I've never seen a 63-67 without thru glass latches. I piulled some out of a '61 (standard) and (maybe) a '62 Panel.
My '63 came (to me) with no-hole sliders. Not sure if orig. or not, however they seemed to be.

62-63 (earlier too) Passenger Buses use Sigla glass and thus have the no-hole sliders.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jerry.t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
I picked it up and here is what I noticed.

Built 8/22/62

Indented rear hatch
lipped rear wells
Sigla glass
A lot of rust!

i was thinking that rust really wasnt a year specific item ?

OGST

SBS #43

(14:39:50) Pintobean: i came out of the shower... cats were freaking out... i
69_Jim: I actually made girly noises as I was laying on the ground

VWSwap: I'm gonna post all over there...leave my DNA all over the place...make 'em bust out their black lights. Jerks.
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: my 62? Reply with quote

i think my 62 is early. i have no lip on the rear fender well, small rear window on hatch, and i have the "larger" taillight and front turn signals. other than that I am not sure what else. when i bought the bus in 1996 it was lowered (the rear plates moved on the torsion bar) and two of the flat torsion things in the front tubes were removed but saved. the rear tires were aluminum wide center lines with atrocious large tires . the previous owner never drove the bus like this complaining the tires rubbed (thank god) so the first thing i did was to raise the bus. not an easy task as the front remaining spring plates were over torqued and now bent so bad i couldnt get the two that were removed back in . new spring plates fixed that! the rear was a cluster f*%# . I dont know how the guy would have ever changed a flat to get the rear wheels off i had to remove the reduction boxes and undo the axle nuts, plus deflate the tire to barely squeeze them out. I was never satisfied with the spring plate position when I got them re positioned. I would appreciate the knowledge on how to position those correctly. anyway I pulled the tranny and had it rebuilt then like an idiot i never put it in. now my reduction boxes outer bearing is rusted pretty good . now i just need to get her pieced back together enough to put some rear wheels on to tow her the 4.5 miles home to my new home before she gets stolen . I wish I had an expert wit me as i tore it apart in 1996 and dont remember s#%t uggggh I will never tear another vw apart without a complete plan and finances to get it back together
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:
61's and 62's have them. 63's do not.

My '63 Panel has the indentation in the original hatch.
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Point out the differences, please, I'm not seeing it. '62 had a white lens and '63 up went to amber in the US.

The way the cut out is on a 62 will not allow for a later base plate, at least this has been my experience. I will try to remember to get pics of exactly what it is.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the flat style buckets used from late 60 to the end of 62 and fried eggs being used in 62 that would make a 62 and early 63 nose an almost one year only nose in us models right?
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
GRIFF55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new post i like it!! Ive been trying to find out the same thing and more.... From what Ive found but have not confirmed is that the headlight buckets and the dash have little changes... the buckets are shaped different and the dash rolls up on by the a post.... again not sure if these are true or not....I know the seats are different and some others...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: